Motoring Discussion > Mot Changes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ateca chris Replies: 5

Mot Changes - Ateca chris
tinyurl.com/y8zphvmu

(links to The Daily Mirror, in case anyone was wondering)
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 26 Jan 18 at 11:06
 Mot Changes - VxFan
"Any car that has been fitted with a diesel particulate filter that give out visible smoke of any colour during tests will get a Major fault and also automatically fail."

When a DPF is doing a regen, it produces smoke. Let's hope MOT testers are aware of this.

Mot Changes - Dave_
>> When a DPF is doing a regen, it produces smoke

A regen is only triggered under certain driving conditions, which will not be met during the MoT test procedure. My van needs to be doing 70mph (well, needs to have held 3,000rpm) for 5 minutes continuously before it starts a regen.

It's so predictable I can tell where it's going to happen. If more than 500 miles have passed since the last one, it'll chug out clouds of white smoke for 30 seconds on the A1(M) northbound going up the hill towards WGC, and also the M11 northbound passing Chigwell. I feel slightly sorry for the following traffic.
 Mot Changes - VxFan
>> A regen is only triggered under certain driving conditions,

Each car manufacturer has their own set up.

Sometimes my Astra will only do it when I get on the bypass, and within a couple of miles it kicks in. Other times it does it when the engine has barely warmed up. There is no set speed or RPM needed for it to start.
 Mot Changes - RichardW
Our 2 PSA 1.6 HDis (yes, the diesels of doom) have done 120k in our hands between them (and 250k total now). Never seen either of them smoke, regen or not. Can't tell when the Picasso is doing it, unless the rear screen is damp or steamed up when you can see that the HRW has come on. The 307 runs slightly rough at the start of the cycle.
 Mot Changes - hawkeye
I got an app called FAPlite which I got when the C8 DPF blocked up. It's for PSA cars and it's supposed to tell me (among many other things) when a regen is taking place, but I haven't seen it on the phone screen yet. Maybe it's not working ...

My DPF has been off the car a few times recently, commented on by the MoT tester last year.
Latest Forum Posts