Motoring Discussion > Tesla - It goes like a rocket
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 14

Tesla - It goes like a rocket - VxFan
A cherry red Tesla car was launched into space on Tuesday by tech entrepreneur Elon Musk. A space-suited mannequin was strapped in the driver's seat, with David Bowie’s song Life on Mars playing on repeat coming from the stereo.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/06/tech-giant-elon-musk-send-car-mars-aboard-worlds-powerful-rocket/

The car will take at least six months to travel the 200 million miles to Mars.
 Tesla - It goes like a rocket - TheManWithNoName
I watched the launch on youtube and it looked fairly ordinary to me, right up to the point when the two side boosters returned and set down on terra firma upright! That was incredible.
 Tesla - It goes like a rocket - R.P.
That was a real Science Fiction become fact moment. I think I tweeted my delight !
 Tesla - It goes like a rocket - Zero
Meanwhile back in the real world, he still can't make cars or make money making cars

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2018/feb/07/tesla-quarterly-loss-elon-musk-spacex
 Tesla - It goes like a rocket - stan10
" .. Meanwhile back in the real world, he still can't " ..

No he can't, looks like desperate publicity stunt for the gullible to me
 Tesla - It goes like a rocket - Boxsterboy
>> I watched the launch on youtube and it looked fairly ordinary to me, right up
>> to the point when the two side boosters returned and set down on terra firma
>> upright! That was incredible.
>>

Yeah, as Meatloaf once sang "Two out of three ain't bad". (A third booster crashed)
 Tesla - It goes like a rocket - Pat
He also said 'I'll do anything, but I won't do that' :)

Pat
 Tesla - It goes like a rocket - rtj70
>> The car will take at least six months to travel the 200 million miles to Mars.

Not it won't actually get to Mars as planned... it will fly past it and end up in the asteroid belt. So it's not going to be orbiting Mars like they'd planned.

At least SpaceX looks like it will make money.... unlike Tesla.
 Tesla - It goes like a rocket - Lygonos
I think the plan was for an elliptical orbit that passed Mars, it wasn't planned to go around the red planet.
 Tesla - It goes like a rocket - No FM2R
>>At least SpaceX looks like it will make money.... unlike Tesla.

I suspect that you are wrong about Tesla. Depending on where you think the money should be made.
Ignore the comment, opinion or conclusion, but you may find some of the data in this summery quite thought provoking.

fortune.com/2018/02/07/tesla-earnings-model-3-fourth-quarter/
 Tesla - It goes like a rocket - rtj70
I think Tesla needs to start making money out of their cars soon. There is a lot of competition on the way and they may find their early advantage gets eroded.

I wonder if the Tesla that survives is more a battery and technology company. I think there's a lot of mileage in their Tesla power wall units and what they have done in Australia too with the big storage facility/battery for renewable energy.

If every wind turbine in the UK could store power in say a big battery.... we'd solve some of our power problems as a nation.

I'm not convinced there's a long term future for Tesla cars because of the competition. What they have done well is not the car bit.
We will see in time, I guess
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 8 Feb 18 at 21:01
 Tesla - It goes like a rocket - Rudedog
Maybe they should try and run a car in Formula-E to prove their technology, although I'm sure I read somewhere that all the team's battery packs are made by the same company (?Williams or Mclaren).
 Tesla - It goes like a rocket - Zero
There is nothing special or secret about Tesla technology, there is however a lot of experience about making and supporting cars, a lot of cars, on a global basis. Of which Tesla has none. Tesla is a blip in the car market.

Musk and Tesla do however do scalability awfully well when it comes to power. Be it strapping rockets together, or cabling batteries together. It's a really good technological object lesson

Latest Forum Posts