Motoring Discussion > Radiator grille design trend Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 4

Radiator grille design trend - movilogo

From observation

1. Very few cars have traditional radiator grille nowadays.
2. Most cars do not have continuous front bumpers. It is now broken into two parts, with grille in between.
3. Radiator grille has slid down almost kissing the ground.
4. In case of any low speed prang, the grill will take the impact as there is no bumper to protect it!

Why this type of design became a trend? Most cars look ugly with this type of design.
 Radiator grille design trend - Zero
>>
>

>> Why this type of design became a trend?
When it became a physical design requirement to meet pedestrian impact safety requirements

Most cars look ugly with this type
>> of design.

jaguar e type had it
 Radiator grille design trend - smokie
Maybe crumple zone requirements??
 Radiator grille design trend - rtj70
>> 1. Very few cars have traditional radiator grille nowadays.

I think most cars do have a fairly traditional grille in terms of where it is - maybe they are clever and have the ability to close off the grille when it will improve efficiency.

>> 2. Most cars do not have continuous front bumpers. It is now broken into two parts, with grille in between.

Audi's are like that. Most popular cars I can think of have a grille above the number. Some Hyundai's have followed the design trend of Audis.

>> 3. Radiator grille has slid down almost kissing the ground.

Like I said, this is a design trend for Audi's but not all cars. My current car (Skoda Superb) has a bumper under the grill. VWs do to, as do BMWs, Kia, Mercedes Benz, etc.

>> 4. In case of any low speed prang, the grill will take the impact as there is no bumper to protect it!

The problem for low speed prangs is that the grille is often almost (or is) level with the bumper. So the grille could be damaged when the bumper is deformed.

The solution is not to hit anything ;-)

I'd hate to think what cost a frontal accident would be for a car with LED headlights, radar in the grille for cruise control, parking sensors, etc.
 Radiator grille design trend - bathtub tom
Old cars never used to have water (coolant) pumps and depended on thermo-syphon to cool the engine, hence the high radiator grille.
Modern, cross-flow radiators let the bonnet line to be much lower, thus allowing the aerodynamics to be better.
Many cars nowadays have the major cooling airflow under the old 'bumper' level.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!
Latest Forum Posts