Motoring Discussion > Buying a set of new tyres Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 10

Buying a set of new tyres - Falkirk Bairn
Looked on-line last night for prices - anything from £70 to £170.
Took advice from my Indie when I was in with a minor issue.
He reckoned - mid range tyre was all I needed as my mileage is low & I am not driving @ 90mph.

Scanned about 10 tyre sites - loads of ditchfinders @ £70 & HJ's Michelins X Country around £170. As I will be getting a new car in the next 9 months this was toooo much.
Settled on Avons - on a special price @ National Tyres.£100 each x 4. Made in England!!
Nipped down this morning 8.45 - thoughts of being in/out in an hour.

Do you have them is stock? - Yes - £133.xx each!! so some £124 more than their website quote for 4.

I failed to read their website - to get the £100 price you order, pay & then get fitted.

So duly ordered them back at the house & they will be fitted on Monday - they are run off their feet Sat & Sunday.

The last tyres fitted were 2 @ the garage when in for a service - they said they matched price of local outlets - checked after fitting - they were a £5 more than the cheapest for that brand.
 Buying a set of new tyres - bathtub tom
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
It seems nowadays you have to scan the interweb thingmy to find a decent price. I was looking for a couple of tyres this week and the best price for a half decent (non Chinese ditch-finder) turned up some Avons on Black Circles, fitted at a local place who quoted considerably more for the same ones!!!
My initial hassle trying to get tyres was resolved today.
Turned up, tyres fitted, tracking done, TPMS reset............painless apart from the wait.

10/10 for National Tyres Falkirk Depot
 Buying a set of new tyres - Bobby
How much tread was left on your old tyres ? None of them got enough to last the maximum 9 months?
>>None of them got enough to last the maximum 9 months?

Fronts were 2-3mm, rears 3-4mm
New ones on front needed - rears have to be within 3 mm so all 4 needed.

6 years - apart from servicing, tyres, wipers & a battery in January I have not spent anything on the car - no repairs in or out of warranty.
 Buying a set of new tyres - Lygonos
Had a pair of Uniroyal Rainsport 3 205/55x16 fitted to the FRV today.

£102 fitted via blackcircles.com with a further £2.13 cashback via topcashback.com

Good tyres.
 Buying a set of new tyres - Dog
Thems Dunlop Grandtrek tyres fitted to my ole CR-V behaved very well on a steep iced up quintessential Cornish country lane on Monday = Good tyres!
 Buying a set of new tyres - VxFan
>> Had a pair of Uniroyal Rainsport 3
>> Good tyres.

+1

Although I did find they were a softer compound than the outgoing RS2, and thus wore down a bit quicker.
 Buying a set of new tyres - DP
>> >> Had a pair of Uniroyal Rainsport 3
>> >> Good tyres.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Although I did find they were a softer compound than the outgoing RS2, and thus
>> wore down a bit quicker.
>>

The Rainsport 3 is very soft, and not the most long lived of tyres, but grip is excellent, and they are well priced.

For all round performance, and the best trade off between longevity and grip, Michelin stand head and shoulders above all other makes IMHO, but you do pay for the privilege.
 Buying a set of new tyres - Rudedog
I've recently change my long standing loyalty from Conti's to Michelins, only thing I've found with them is that they are very temperature sensitive, probably due to a hard compound that makes them last longer but anything below 7ºc and they start to chirp when puling away.

The new Primacy 4's look good and not a bad price compared to the Primacy HP's I have at the moment.
 Buying a set of new tyres - Zero
>> Had a pair of Uniroyal Rainsport 3 205/55x16 fitted to the FRV today.
>>
>> £102 fitted via blackcircles.com with a further £2.13 cashback via topcashback.com
>>
>> Good tyres.

Yup, Rainsports were my goto tyres for the lancer.
Latest Forum Posts