Motoring Discussion > Car drives over liquefied petroleum gas & explodes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 13

Car drives over liquefied petroleum gas & explodes - rtj70
I don't think anyone else posted a link to this on here:

youtu.be/o5LSVGHsmqM

So a tanker carrying liquified petroleum gas has crashed and some has leaked out. A car tries driving through the spillage... and ignites it! Don't think they could have survived unhurt although I think you see someone get out. Tanker driver also burned badly.

I wonder if it will be an insurance claim.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 15 Feb 18 at 00:09
 Car drives over liquefied petroleum gas & explodes - Bobby
Jeez thats scary!!
Very.... I think the driver of the car got out but that is very very scary. The child in the car reversing was clearly upset - I'd have been too!
 Car drives over liquefied petroleum gas & explodes - Cliff Pope
It's interesting that the LPG appeared to have remained a liquid for a considerable distance along the lane, and that there was a clear point at which the leak started.
Whenever I have accidentally released any LPG as liquid (eg releasing pressure when changing a filter) it has evaporated almost instantly, and dispersed.

Was the liquid in the incident actually LPG? - to a non-expert it seemed to me to behave more like petrol. But perhaps it was very cold there, with no wind, which would have reduced its volatility.
 Car drives over liquefied petroleum gas & explodes - Manatee
There was a picture, among the many of the Buncefield explosion, of a burned out car that belonged someone my wife knows.

The driver was passing the depot on a small lane, before the explosion, when the car stuttered to a halt amid the fumes. The driver got out, and retreated on foot and fortunately was outside the cloud when it went up.

I thought at the time that it was almost unbelievable that the car actually conked out and didn't ignite the vapour.
 Car drives over liquefied petroleum gas & explodes - Lygonos
>>Was the liquid in the incident actually LPG?

Very likely - petrol would have been a bigger fireball with a delightful mushroom cloud effect.

It was likely 10s of thousands of litres of LPG - that takes an awful lot of heat to evaporate and would remain as a pool for many minutes.

We used to get liquid nitrogen for wart treatment and if you poured it into a cup (scientific purposes of course) it would take some time to disappear despite it boiling at -190ºC
 Car drives over liquefied petroleum gas & explodes - VxFan
>> We used to get liquid nitrogen - poured it into a cup it would take some time to disappear

Unlike liquid helium which evaporates very quickly when exposed to air.
 Car drives over liquefied petroleum gas & explodes - Lygonos
>>Unlike liquid helium which evaporates very quickly when exposed to air.

Liquid helium is something like 4º above absolute zero.

It's also waaaay lighter than air as a gas and once vapourised rises very quickly, not leaving a layer of very cold gas over the remaining liquid insulating it (which nitrogen does)
 Car drives over liquefied petroleum gas & explodes - sooty123
We used to get liquid nitrogen delivered in fairly big quantities. Made great 'bombs' 500ml pop bottles were best.
 Car drives over liquefied petroleum gas & explodes - VxFan
We killed an ants nest with some liquid nitrogen once. Took 3 days mind, pouring approx. a 1 litre flask of the stuff twice a day down the crack between the pavement and kerbing where they were coming out and subsequently infesting our workshop.
 Car drives over liquefied petroleum gas & explodes - Zero
>> >>Was the liquid in the incident actually LPG?

No, it was LNG
 Car drives over liquefied petroleum gas & explodes - No FM2R
Watching the video you can see that the car does not explode, the gas does. The dark car drives straight through and out the other end and the other jumps back in his car and pulls forward and off to one side. I think you can see both drivers outside their respective cars.

I'd guess both survived, though a change of underwear was probably called for.
I edited the thread title to fit.... you might notice the & instead of 'and'... I originally typed 'and causes explosion' and it got truncated.

I say we have more LPG use and even hydrogen (for fuel cell cars)... safe isn't it? That clip was enlightening.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 17 Feb 18 at 00:25
 Car drives over liquefied petroleum gas & explodes - RichardW
Buncefield, which was a much bigger bang than that, was caused by petrol....
Latest Forum Posts