Motoring Discussion > Any C4Pers near Donnington ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 14

Any C4Pers near Donnington ? - R.P.
I've ended up doing some volunteering at a local museum. They're going to run an exhibit on a local F1 driver, by the name of Tom Pryce, who was killed in the mid 70s - one of the "Lost Generation" of British Racing Drivers.

Apparently there is an ongoing exhibit at Donnington Circuit - If someone could go along on my behalf (I'd cover the cost of entry) and do some er...espionage on my behalf I'd be very obliged before we make the trip across for a look ourselves. Reccon is everything !
 Any C4Pers near Donnington ? - Bromptonaut
Just under an hour from here Rob and I could combine it with my passion for watching planes. PM me if I can help.
Bump!!
Sorry must have missed that. If you are going I'd be really obliged. I can paypal you the entrance fee (plus one other ;-) ) I just need photos of the Tom Pryce exhibit !
>> Sorry must have missed that. If you are going I'd be really obliged. I can
>> paypal you the entrance fee (plus one other ;-) ) I just need photos of
>> the Tom Pryce exhibit !

I'll pop up there in next few days - weather permitting. Mrs B is away on academic tasks so I'm a free man for a week - except for 4 days I'm working!!

Don't worry about the entrance fee, it's somewhere I've meant to go for ages.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 12 Mar 18 at 15:27
 Any C4Pers near Donnington ? - Zero
Its a worthwhile trip, possibly the best F1 collection int he UK. (unless you include McLaren HQ, and thats not generally accessible)
Thanks a lot. I've gathered quite a lot of information about his local life and times - seeing some photos of that would be the crowing glory.
Do you still need this Rob?

I was weathered off last month and then Easter/Family and Mrs B's big birthday intervened . Also major shenanigans at work - Chief Exec and his Missus 'on leave and not contactable' - just as a new project I was selected for was ready to kick off.

Intending to go tomorrow.
Yes indeed - done the initial write ups. I mentioned this at the meeting on Thursday ! Thanks
Thomas Meirion Pryce was really destined for the top. He basically self funded himself into motor racing following the traditional routes through Formula Ford and Formula 3 routes. He got a drive with an F1 team and won some stuff early on. He was sadly killed in an accident when he collided with a race marshal who was running across the track to another car on fire. In the collision the marshal's extinguisher struck Meirion on the head and killed him. Very sad end to a very promising talent.
Interesting museum but no trace of any detail about TMP. Asked staff but got blank looks.

A few passing references to lost generation, perhaps remainder of something more detailed in past?

Did though lead me to look up who others were. One was Tony Brise who died when Graham Hill, flying an unregistered aircraft outwith the terms of his licence, crashed trying a blind approach to an airfield with next to no landing aids.

For some reason I'd thought Hill was solo at time.

Journey worthwhile as I enjoyed both the F1 cars, including the BRM that my childhood Scalextric car was based on and the hall of military vehicles.

And a quick trip to Diseworth Lane crash gate at East Midlands Airport found the first 737-800 freighter for West Atlantic, still in temporary US marks, parked at freight west.

Delivered from US yesterday.

www.jetphotos.com/photo/8923481
Thanks for your help. At least the matter was followed up ! Hope it wasn't an entirely wasted trip !
Just a little bit of an update:

The exhibit has now been put together and Tom's widow has loaned his trophies for the duration of the exhibition.

Added today was a Formula Student car - built by students at Cardiff University (on a automotive industry course). The car has been painted in Tom's Shadow car's colours and carries the name "Gwyneth" after his mother.

The car has a 675cc Triumph 3 Cylinder engine and powers the car to 60mph in 3 seconds. Lot of work gone into it. I went to the launch night at the Museum which is housed in the old school which Tom attended as a kid. Hopefully his spirit was looking down on us on that evening.

ibb.co/gQgRGK
 Any C4Pers near Donnington ? - Mapmaker
>>flying an unregistered aircraft outwith the terms of his licence

Are you Scottish, Brompton?
>> Are you Scottish, Brompton?

No but picked up 'outwith' from Scottish colleagues and have have become quite attached to it!!
Latest Forum Posts