Motoring Discussion > Citroen C3 - Price guidance needed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 12

Citroen C3 - Price guidance needed - hawkeye
I need a new remote key for Mrs H's Citroen C3. It was supplied with one remote and one non-remote service key. Mrs H is tired of me nabbing her bunch of keys with the remote on it. The job is to supply a 2-button remote, cut the blank so it works the ignition and code the electronics so it works the same as the key we already have.

How much should I be paying an independent? Dealer wants nearly £250 incuding VAT which seems an awful lot. Comments welcome. I'd be ecstatic if anyone had a recommendation in Yorkshire/Co. Durham area.
 Citroen C3 - Price guidance needed - RichardW
Is the key one where the 'key' part is a track cut into the side of the blank?

I got a key like this for our C4 after one of the others got chucked. It was about £80 blank off e-bay. A tenner to get it cut, then I coded it myself - BUT I had trouble finding someone to cut it, as shops were not keen on cutting a key they didn't supply. Don't biy a really cheap one, it will be too hard or soft and not work reliably. You will need the code card that came with the car to allow the coding to be done; if not then another £15-£20 to get the code off Citroen. Some Timpson branches can cut and code keys. There are also outfits on line that will supply a key pre-cut off just a photo (although I think the remote ones are around £130) - but you've still got to get it coded. It only takes about 10 mins to code them - but be aware you need to present ALL the keys; otherwise the old ones will stop working! There might be an Independent near you that has the kit? Otherwise, if you fancy a jaunt over the border (Lanark) I can do them for you.
 Citroen C3 - Price guidance needed - VxFan
Timpsons?

www.timpson.co.uk/services/car-keys
 Citroen C3 - Price guidance needed - Duncan
I used

www.automobilelocksmith.co.uk/

and found them to be very good.
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 14 Mar 18 at 15:03
 Citroen C3 - Price guidance needed - R.P.
Timpsons did it for us when we wanted a Ford key cut and coded. Fraction of the price of a Ford dealer.
 Citroen C3 - Price guidance needed - Bromptonaut
>> Timpsons did it for us when we wanted a Ford key cut and coded. Fraction
>> of the price of a Ford dealer.

Timpson's can do some cars but not others. Couldn't do our older Berlingo when we wanted an extra key. Had to go to dealer at £100+.
 Citroen C3 - Price guidance needed - Zero

>> Timpson's can do some cars but not others. Couldn't do our older Berlingo when we
>> wanted an extra key. Had to go to dealer at £100+.

The process and availability of getting a spare key done is year and model dependent by make, sometimes even trim level.
 Citroen C3 - Price guidance needed - CGNorwich
On their web site Timpsons claim to be to be on average 20% cheaper than main dealers. Bearing in mind that they can’t do all makes and types frankly is it worth messing about? Just go to the dealers. At least you will get a key that works.
 Citroen C3 - Price guidance needed - Boxsterboy
We are going through this exact process for BB junior's C3. 2-year old, so previous model. Came with just one key (Cat C write-off).

Dealer has charged £121 inc. to supply new fully functioning key. There will also be a charge to re-code the new (and previous) key to the car (being done week after next).

Citroen C3 - Price guidance needed - Zero
For the Volvo there were three separate line items on the bill

Blade
Key Body
Coding.

Total cost inc vat, £375
 Citroen C3 - Price guidance needed - PeterS
From memory Audi charged £180ish for a replacement key for the A3, and £50 for coding, last year. That was for a keyless entry/start car, if it makes any difference.
Thanks for the input.

Richard, thanks for the offer. Yes it's the key you describe. I'll keep it in mind.

All those folk recommending Timpsons; sorry to say I had a worse-than-average customer experience while waiting for a quote at their wretched little dog kennel in Catterick Garrison. It'll be a cold day in hell etc.

Currently talking to local mobile chaps at £150 - £160 .
After a bit of research I decided to avoid the straightforward clones that just required you to turn up with the remote you wanted copied. I went for a guy selling a Citroen original key blank (with a Delphi label) who needed the car and both other keys. He cut the blank and plugged his tech into the OBD port and I now have 2 remotes, a transponder-only key and a card with the PIN code, which I hadn't had since we bought the car.

45 minutes and £140 from Cobblers of Norton, near Billingham, up North.
Latest Forum Posts