Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 36

Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - legacylad
An acquaintance is on his second Golf....a 2.0 Tdi 63 plate 5 door hatch. Mainly very local stop/start use ( he shouldn’t have a diesel but bought it off a relative at 3yo) with the occasional long motorway run.
After ‘recall’ problems resulting in a new EGR ? circa £600 within weeks of the fix, he is considering a year old petrol @£17k. It’s the perfect size for him, he likes the solidity, etc
It must be a hatch, not an estate, and be able to carry 4 adults in comfort, although 99% of the time he is the sole occupant.
He considers the Leon not quite such a nice place to sit, and I think an A3 Sportback could fit the bill, as of course a Golf could.
Any ideas given the above budget?
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Runfer D'Hills
Without checking prices, a 1 series maybe?
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - tyrednemotional
I trust he pursued VW for the full cost of EGR replacement. One of my ex-work colleagues did so successfully post emmisions fix (and for a second different but related fault of which the details escape me)
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Wed 21 Mar 18 at 20:13
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Bill Payer
>> I trust he pursued VW for the full cost of EGR replacement. One of my
>> ex-work colleagues did so successfully post emmisions fix...

VW (under pressure) added a couple of years warranty to emissions related items for car that had the 'fix'.

As for alternatives to Golf, there must be literally scores of them. However VW do manage to make their cars feel a cut above others. We have a very basic 2011 Golf Twist in the family and we looked at a few other cars - i30, C'eed, Astra and Focus, but the Golf just seemed a more quality product.

I know it's not, but VW do make it feel like is. I still can't quite believe that we got that car for £13K new.
Re the EGR replacement. He was advised not to have the fix done. The main dealer offered some ‘goodwill’ but he went to an indie which was a cheaper option. I had no input and kept well clear.

He likes the VW ‘feel good factor’... decent interior trim....the 1 series might have been an option but let down on rear seat space and boot space. He carries lots of tools as he works part time doing jobs locally.

I though of suggesting a 2 series Tourer as he prefers FWD
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - rtj70
Would a Skoda Octavia hatchback be too big? Does it need to be roughly Golf hatchback sized?

If he thinks a Leon is not nice enough that rules out the Kia and Hyundai alternatives. Well made but not so good on the ergonomics IMO.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 21 Mar 18 at 21:01
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Bobby
I saw the thread title and thought Oldgit had finally saw sense!!!
I thought it was him that would have started a thread with this title :-)
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Lygonos
Mercedes B180 SE - £18k from drivethedeal.com

or

Volvo V40 from £15.5k from new-car-discount.com

www.new-car-discount.com/car/volvo/v40-hatchback/hatchback/petrol/manual/t2-122-momentum-5dr/16/
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 21 Mar 18 at 22:04
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Zero

>> Volvo V40 from £15.5k from new-car-discount.com

Good call, he'll be impressed with the interior with that one.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Duncan
>> www.new-car-discount.com/car/volvo/v40-hatchback/hatchback/petrol/manual/t2-122-momentum-5dr/16/

www.new-car-discount.com/car/mercedes-benz/

"We are temporarily not stocking new Mercedes-Benz cars". What does that mean? Apart from the B obvious, of course?
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Zero
It means you get your discounted MB 180 from drive the deal.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Oldgit
>> I saw the thread title and thought Oldgit had finally saw sense!!!
>>

b***** cheek!
Anyway no more hatchbacks of the Golf ilk for me as I need something higher off the ground to aid an octogenarian's entry and exit. Parking so close to much higher vehicles nowadays means my partner and I find it difficult getting out of these lower 'normal' hatchbacks and so something taller methinks.The trouble is there are so many from which to choose and with the state of our roads now and which are probably never going to be repaired I need something robust enough and with balloon tyres to soften the ride
www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-sv-pa/home
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Stuartli
>> www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-sv-pa/home>>

£20k plus for a one-litre vehicles of any make.....:-( :-(
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Duncan
>> >> www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-sv-pa/home>>

Page not available.
Works for me
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Manatee
But not for me.

Try this - www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-sv-pa

Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 24 Mar 18 at 15:22
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Rudedog
Make sure you use the original link, the others include the >> at the end which mess things up.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Clk Sec
>> But not for me.
>>
>> Try this - www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-sv-pa

That's better...
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - sooty123
>> >> But not for me.
>> >>
>> >> Try this - www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/golf-sv-pa
>>

Is that the new golf plus?
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - CGNorwich
It replaced the rather unsuccessful Golf Plus which was based on the Mark 5. The SV (the European name of SuperVan was not used here) is altogether a better car and performs much like a standard Golf but it's a bit wider higher and longer making it a more practical vehicle More to the point as far as the OP is concerned access is much easier.

It's a pretty good package overall. So good I bought one!
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Boxsterboy
>>
>> I though of suggesting a 2 series Tourer as he prefers FWD
>>

2-series Active Tourer is a good call - way classier than a Golf and drive nicely too.

The PSA 1.2 3-cylinder Puretech engine is well regarded and available in a number of different bodies. To me Golfs are just boringly dull!
Skoda Octavia too large... I’ll mention in passing the B class Merc and V40
Thanks
>>Skoda Octavia too large...>>

It's pretty much the same size as my Mk VI Jetta, which is based on the Golf - there's a bit more interior room in more recent versions though. I just happen to prefer a saloon to a hatchback.

There are many good reasons why, for example, so many taxi drivers plump for using Octavias, whether in saloon or the remarkably roomy estate version.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - commerdriver
>> 2-series Active Tourer is a good call - way classier than a Golf and drive
>> nicely too.
>>
2 series is a good call, a valid alternative to a Golf Plus, doesn't feel anything like as good to handle as a Golf TSi or GTD, bigger & more comfortable, but SWMBO thought it looked big for the space you got from it. Certainly wan't any classier than a Golf to me.

Nice car but I preferred a Golf, each to their own
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - martin aston
Previous model Civic 1.8 petrol is worth considering. Well engineered, mid 40's mpg, big boot for a hatch, plus magic seats. Mine is now 6 years old, 55k and, other than tyres and one set of rear pads, its only needed routine servicing. In fact £17k might just get a 1.0l version of the new model if they can get past the divisive looks.

I agree that the V40 is also worth a look but the boot is actually small. Used prices for petrol ones are very high so buying new at a discount seems the way to go.

Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - VxFan
>> Any ideas given the above budget?

Fiat Tipo?

Had one as a hire car the other day. IIRC it was the Lounge model. Very well spec'd. Elec windows all round, sat nav, reverse camera. Loads of cubby holes. I'm sure, given time I could have eventually made the drivers seat feel comfortable.

Only downside was that it was a Fiat ;)
>>Only downside was that it was a Fiat ;)>>

Enjoyed owning a 1.4 Fiat Miafiori and then a 1.6 Regata over a period of six years - neither ever let me down or had more than minor problems.

The only bugbear was the Regata range's well known lifeless braking system, which lacked feel, progressiveness and efficiency qualities compared to other cars of the time. The "hatchback" early VW Polos were very similar in this respect.
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Avant
Reading through all the alternatives in the thread, it looks to me as if LL's friend had it right in the first place - a Golf 1.4 TSI, or perhaps a similarly powered A3 Sportback if he fancies a change.
>>..it looks to me as if LL's friend had it right in the first place - a Golf 1.4 TSI, or perhaps a similarly powered A3 Sportback if he fancies a change.>>

I have the 1.4 170bhp TSi petrol engine - remarkable performance all round and around 43mpg...:-)

The 160bhp version has exactly the same performance specifications, other than the top speed is 134mph rather than 138mph (under ideal circumstances, of course!!)

Does yours have the turbo and supercharger?
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Mr Moo
Bit of a left field choice, but what about an Infiniti Q30 1.6T? Some on Autotrader for around £15k.

...not sure it'll carry four in comfort, but perhaps worth a look?
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - Boxsterboy
>> Bit of a left field choice, but what about an Infiniti Q30 1.6T? Some on
>> Autotrader for around £15k.
>>
>> ...not sure it'll carry four in comfort, but perhaps worth a look?
>>

It's a blinged-up Merc A Class, so whilst it can (just about) seat 4, they won't be in comfort.
>> Does yours have the turbo and supercharger?>>

Yes.

Because the Golf was always more popular than the Jetta saloon (it's the reverse in the States for most marques) only about 65 Jettas were sold with this engine around 2007 and, of those, just a dozen with a manual gearbox.

It took me around three months to find my particular Sport version secondhand in 2010 (I detest automatics), but proved well worthwhile. Just 15,500 on the clock, in immaculate condition and acquired from a main Manchester dealership.

A benefit of the lighter 1.4 engine is a virtual absence of understeer.

One road test of the Golf GT version:

www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf/first-drives/vw-golf-gt-tsi-170
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 23 Mar 18 at 14:45
Also:

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/road-tests/volkswagen-golf-gt-tsi-410057.html

www.topgear.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/golfgolf-sv/14-gt-tsi-3dr/road-test
 Volkswagen Golf VI - Alternatives to a VW Golf - brettmick
Lovely that my facelift V40 R Design petrol is the cars weakness is space in the back. I'm 6'4 and the driving position is perfect, but my six year old can't sit behind me property. Rear head room tops out for someone 5'9 ish. My car is 99% me driving alone and I'd recommend it, but check the spec levels as the interior on the lower spec momentum is not as good as the inscription or r design - the dash looks cheaper.
Latest Forum Posts