Motoring Discussion > KIA - Chest gasket leaking
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 18

KIA - Chest gasket leaking - movilogo
I went to dealer for some other work during a complementary visual inspection they mentioned leaking from chest gasket!

Stated that it would be a major job taking a whole day and offered me a date 2-3 weeks later. It will be fixed under warranty.

Now question is, what is chest gasket? Is it same as head gasket? What is the root cause for this leak? My car is 3.5 yr old.

KIA - Chest gasket leaking - Manatee
Possibly a term for the cam/rocker/valve cover gasket, although that doesn't sound like a whole day job - unless that's a catch all for anything more than a "service".

I think I remember the term "valve chest" in relation to sidevalve engines. I might have imagined that.

KIA - Chest gasket leaking - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I think I remember the term "valve chest" in relation to sidevalve engines. I might
>> have imagined that.
>>

It's any vertical removable plate on the side of an engine, giving access to valves, oil pump, mesh filter, etc. It's an odd term regarding a modern car - better suited to vintage tractors.
 KIA - Chest gasket leaking - No FM2R
Is it not the one behind which the cam chain sits?
 KIA - Chest gasket leaking - Manatee
That would make sense.
 KIA - Chest gasket leaking - Zero

>> Now question is, what is chest gasket? Is it same as head gasket?

The net seems to suggest its the valve cover, if it was a head gasket they wouldn't have foundd it with a "visual" inspection.

>>What is the root cause for this leak? My car is 3.5 yr old.

No-one could possibly know until the old gadget and the mating faces are examined on removal. The garage probably won't bother, so you will probably never find out.
Is the oil leaking same as engine oil? Does it mean I need to check engine oil level now frequently until it is fixed?
if its the rocker cover gasket, its engine oil pumped up from the sump. Depends on the rate of the leak, but a rocker gasket leak is rarely bad enough to worry about oil loss. But it won't hurt to check the oil level weekly.
 KIA - Chest gasket leaking - DP
>>
>> >> Now question is, what is chest gasket? Is it same as head gasket?
>>
>> The net seems to suggest its the valve cover, if it was a head gasket
>> they wouldn't have foundd it with a "visual" inspection.

Not necessarily. Head gaskets can cause visible weeping or leaking of oil if they fail between an oil way and the outer edge of the gasket. Rover T-series engines were notorious for this.

If the job is going to take a full day, it suggests this is something more than a cam or valve cover gasket replacement, a job which you'd struggle to drag out to 20 minutes on most engines.

EDIT: it's just occurred to me - is this some sort of badly written abbreviation of cylinder head such as c/head that has been scrawled on the job sheet by the tech, and the service advisor has mis-read?

Best bet would be to call the dealer and ask for clarification.
Last edited by: DP on Fri 23 Mar 18 at 12:32
 KIA - Chest gasket leaking - Mr Moo
Good job it's a Kia with a seven year warranty, irrespective of which gasket it turns out the be!
>> Good job it's a Kia with a seven year warranty,

Good job its a failure that Kia can't wiggle out of, they seem to manage to not pay out on most warranty work.
 KIA - Chest gasket leaking - tyrednemotional
>> Good job its a failure that Kia can't wiggle out of, they seem to manage
>> to not pay out on most warranty work.
>>

....which was not my experience with the Sportage

(though I needed the warranty, and more times than I was comfortable with).
>> which was not my experience with the Sportage

...and I echo the same.

This is my 2nd Kia and 2nd warranty claim in this car.
On my 1st Kia, I made 7-8 claims during 7-yr period.

>> Is it not the one behind which the cam chain sits
Yes, they did mention something adjacent to timing chain.

>> The OP really needs to call the garage to clarify what the issue is.

Today morning I was in hurry as I was delayed for work. When the receptionist said it would be warranty work I just booked a date and left. In the paperwork I was given it was marked as "amber" so not urgent but attention required. In their job card it was marked as 5-hour labour + parts.

As long as they fix it for free and no damage happens in the meantime I'm not too worried.

>> ....which was not my experience with the Sportage

Its been the experience of lots of other people.
 KIA - Chest gasket leaking - smokie
Kia replaced and reprogrammed a snapped key "under warranty" despite the warranty having expired some months before on daughter's car. That would have been the thick end of £300 IIRC.

I bet they are no worse than any other company, in any line of business, when it comes to trying to wriggle. And maybe one's demeanour has some bearing on the outcome.

>> Not necessarily. Head gaskets can cause visible weeping or leaking of oil if they fail
>> between an oil way and the outer edge of the gasket. Rover T-series engines were
>> notorious for this.

Its not a Rover engine thank god. most modern H/G failures are between cylinders and waterways/oilways, not oil ways to outside the block.

They may want the car all day to fit it in a spare slot, not that the job will take all day
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Mar 18 at 13:32
 KIA - Chest gasket leaking - DP

>>
>> Its not a Rover engine thank god. most modern H/G failures are between cylinders and
>> waterways/oilways, not oil ways to outside the block.

It's not exclusive to Rover engines. Head gaskets can leak externally.

The OP really needs to call the garage to clarify what the issue is.
 KIA - Chest gasket leaking - bathtub tom
>>Its not a Rover engine thank god. most modern H/G failures are between cylinders and waterways/oilways, not oil ways to outside the block.

The 'O' series had a rubber 'O' ring in the head gasket sealing the oil pressure feed to the OHC - they perished. I had one fail and the resultant leak meant I couldn't see out of the back window after a few miles.
 KIA - Chest gasket leaking - Fullchat
Run a fleet of Kias at FC Towers. Up to press their warranty has been good. even down to Picanto MOTs. Faults found eg exhaust mounting corrosion, ball joints and all fixed without asking under warranty.

MILs Picanto started to run rough. Independent inspection revealed loose crankshaft end pulley due to wear in the end of crankshaft. Basically a write off.

Vehicle out of warranty period and non Kia annual services later on. Much information on internet indicated this to be a manufacturing issue on that age of vehicle which Kia had acknowledged.

Call with Kia customer services and engine bottom end all replaced FOC. About £1500 worth of repairs. Cant grumble with that.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 23 Mar 18 at 20:16
Latest Forum Posts