Motoring Discussion > How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 24

How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - Robin O'Reliant
Shows what a lot people had to pay for what would now be regarded as tat -

www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthusiasts/the-cost-of-a-car-the-year-you-were-born/ss-BBuyLWh?ocid=spartandhp#image=15
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - Zero
www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthusiasts/the-cost-of-a-car-the-year-you-were-born/ss-BBuyLWh?ocid=spartandhp#image=6

I would so not want one of those, even 64 years later its not on my classic list

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 30 Mar 18 at 22:08
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - Duncan
>> Shows what a lot people had to pay for what would now be regarded as
>> tat -
>>
>> www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthusiasts/the-cost-of-a-car-the-year-you-were-born/ss-BBuyLWh?ocid=spartandhp#image=15
>>

Doesn't go back far enough.
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Doesn't go back far enough.
>>

....they had cars when you were born.....??!! :-O
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - Runfer D'Hills
Interesting to see the change in the relationship between car and house prices over time though isn't it?
Edit above - especially when you consider how quickly some cars rusted to oblivion.
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - No FM2R
So many changes though.

I remember people saying never buy a Cortina with more than 50k on the clock. I remember the maintenance. Basically simple but so much of it and so often.

I wonder what a car that needed NO servicing for 100,000 miles would have cost in those days.

And then there is all the equipment. I remember when you could buy after market heated rear windows. These days even the cheapest cats come with enough computing power to launch an Apollo.

The only think I regret the passing of is the variety of style and appearance that was available.

These days the majority of cars are just shades of grey.
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - legacylad
Too true. Like mine, boring Volcano Grey.
Very recently I’ve seen both Miami Blue & Racing Yellow on a Cayman & Boxster which looked nice..even seen the yellow on a Macan in the dealers showroom.
I didn’t have the courage to order one in that colour 🐥
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - Bromptonaut
>> I didn’t have the courage to order one in that colour 🐥

My Dad had a 1978 Ford Granada in a colour called Signal Yellow. Stood out on the office car park amongst the conservative grey and white of his colleagues' vehicles.
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - PeterS
>> >> I didn’t have the courage to order one in that colour 🐥
>>
>> My Dad had a 1978 Ford Granada in a colour called Signal Yellow. Stood out
>> on the office car park amongst the conservative grey and white of his colleagues' vehicles.
>>
>>

£3,139 was quite a lot in 1971, and you can’t get a V12 Jaguar couple anymore. However the equivalent in today’s money is apparently £46,241. Just under £51k will get you an F Type that’s probably faster, definitely better built, better equipped and more reliable... and probably available with a bigger discount than in 1971!

My mum had a Fiat 128 estate in postano yellow when I was little; my dad painted my tricycle the same colour :)

www.autoviva.com/128_panorama/version/6162

>> My mum had a Fiat 128 estate in postano yellow when I was little; my
>> dad painted my tricycle the same colour :)
>>
>> www.autoviva.com/128_panorama/version/6162

The 128 was a smashing little car in all of its guises, specially the 3p
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - legacylad
I also owned a Fiat 128 3 door estate, pale yellow in colour. Back in the day as a young petrolhead I bought and sold my cars every three months. Buy from the local rag or word of mouth, friends parents cars, then valet, service, polish and sell on at a small profit.
One day I’ll try and make a list of the cars I’ve owned....probably around 50 I would think. If only I could magic up a photo of each and every one....
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - rtj70
>> I wonder what a car that needed NO servicing for 100,000 miles would have cost in those days.

The tolerances back then meant that was impossible at any price.
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - rtj70
I am not trying to make this into a Brexit comment... But I thought I'd go to porsche.com to look at colours. And selected Europe and then offered Great Britain.... what about UK!
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I wonder what a car that needed NO servicing for 100,000 miles would have cost
>> in those days.
>>

You are implying that modern cars don't need servicing for 100,000 miles?

How long do your tyres, brake disks, pads last then?
Don't you have to take your new car to an authorised agent to maintain the guarantee?
Reading the Honest John column there are frequent descriptions of problems with flywheels, dual-clutches, various kinds of gearboxes to avoid.
Needing a "diesel fix" doesn't sound like "no servicing".

I think you are being rather selective in your memories.
If modern cars indeed do not need servicing for 100,000 miles, and the average mileage is 12,000 pa, that means you buy your new car and do nothing to it for 8 years? No servicing, no replacements, nothing needed for its MOT, nothing worn out?
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - Falkirk Bairn
Does not go back far enough - when I was wee there were 2/3 cars in the whole street of 100 houses. Who had cars? The local doctor, lawyer & businessmen

When I was pre-school I was only in maybe 3/4 cars, my grandfather's (businessman) & my uncle's (local undertaker). The teachers all lived locally, walked/biked to school. Likewise people all worked locally - someone living more that 2/3 miles from work was unusual.

The local doctor's son was my age - my pal lived in a large house (his mother was monied), 2 cars, central heating, fridge, television (1952) - I was 6 when television came to my area. A TV was £80 (about 7 -10 weeks work for an average take home pay).
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - PeterS
A genuine question; what’s the difference between servicing and maintenance? And is an oil change a service? My BMW has done 21,000 miles and needs a oil change in 1,500 miles. It’s entirely possible in100k miles it’ll only have had 4 services, two of which will have been oil changes!

Repairs and replacement of consumables (tyre, wipers, bulbs, friction materials) I wouldn’t count as servicing. But I might call them maintenance... I wouldn’t expect a car to break down in 100k miles, but I’d expect to replace consumables. Didn’t GM develop an engine back in the 90s that would run on its original oil/plugs etc for 100k miles. Though I guess ever tightening emissions legislation makes that harder and harder to achieve...?

>>Didn’t GM develop an engine back in
>> the 90s that would run on its original oil/plugs etc for 100k miles.

They did, the trouble was it didn't.

>> Reading the Honest John column there are frequent descriptions of problems with flywheels, dual-clutches, various
>> kinds of gearboxes to avoid.
>> Needing a "diesel fix" doesn't sound like "no servicing".

You can't maintain or service those parts, they are failures needing to be repaired, failures that shouldn't happen in 100k miles - serviced, maintained or not.
It seems whether a car will do 100,000 miles without servicing depends on what you want the answer to be.
If you don't count maintenance, or component failure, or routine replacements, then there's not much to go wrong with any car.
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - No FM2R

>>Reading the Honest John column there are frequent descriptions of problems with flywheels, dual-clutches, various kinds of gearboxes to avoid. blah blah

Wow! you get clutches and gearboxes replaced when the car is being serviced?!

I am impressed. Is it done on a time or mileage schedule?
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - Clk Sec
>> Edit above - especially when you consider how quickly some cars rusted to oblivion.
>>

You're not far wrong there. My Chrysler 180; new in 1972 and scrapped in 1980, with extensive welding between those dates.

A friend only got around half that time out of a Vauxhall Victor.
 How Much Did a Car Cost The Year You Were Born? - Clk Sec
>> Doesn't go back far enough.

Not quite as far as the motor bike and sidecar era, I'm afraid...
Not the year I was born, but shortly afterwards I suppose, my first "car" was a Mercedes lookalike pedal car. Looked vaguely like a 190SL. Never did get a real one sadly !
>> Not the year I was born,
>>

I've owned two vehicles that would have been around in the year I was born.

A Triumph Roadster 1800, whose list price was about £800, and a Ferguson tractor listed at £325.

Years later when I owned them, I paid £45 for the Triumph and £50 for the tractor.
Current prices are about £10,000 and £2,000.
Latest Forum Posts