Motoring Discussion > Memories of previously owned cars Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 28

Memories of previously owned cars - legacylad
Major procrastination in Ribblesdale this AM...biting cold wind, dampness in the air, totally filthy downstairs windows need cleaning outside....
I must have owned some 50 cars over the years, but I think the ones that gave me the most pleasure were always convertibles, starting with a tatty old Spitfire in BRG, a Mk 1 Elise and the more recent 330.
The RS2000, Quattro and my first car, a Mini Clubman estate, were a whole bucket of fun. The Avenger, Marina and Volvo 240 estates less so, although they were tools of the trade in my first career when I was in my early twenties...couldn’t afford both a decent car and a van and needed a delivery vehicle.
The latest ‘Barbie mobile’ is hugely competent, still lovely to drive and superb transport, but a different kind of enjoyment to the thousands of miles I covered in the Spitfire...driving down to the south of France in convoy with friends aged 20 ( a Fiat 127, Stag, Mini 1275 ) and a year later driving to a campsite at Interlaken for a few weeks were probably the highlights. Using today’s wheels it simply wouldn’t be an ‘adventure’ as such
 Memories of previously owned cars - Runfer D'Hills
True enough, "fun" can be inversely proportional to cost. I'm sure a McLaren or a Lamborghini or whatever would be great "fun" but I can't help thinking that something like an MX5 would provide a much higher smiles/£ ratio.
 Memories of previously owned cars - Cliff Pope
>> True enough, "fun" can be inversely proportional to cost.
>>

"Can be" ? - almost invariably is, in my experience.

The most fun was a 1971 trip to Scotland in an Austin A30 that cost £5 shared between a group of us at university.
We sold it for £40 when we got back, and bought an A35 for £30. But that wasn't such fun, because the driver didn't have to hold the door shut on left-hand bends, nor the gearlever to stop it jumping out of 2nd.
 Memories of previously owned cars - sherlock47
Just for the record.... ( a somewhat eclectic mix)

Year of Acquisition ownership period Model & year Regn cc Mods/Notes

1965 24m 1948 Moris Minor MM NUG37 918 Very early, no water pump,single wiper, single dip headlight
1966 3 m BMW700 car Giftedto me, German regn, never ran, or used, given away.
1966 36m Bedford CA crewbus 1 7717MH Part share for holidays Went to Yugoslavia and back twice paid for itself by hiring to PO for Xmas post
1968 12m Bedford CA crewbus 2 Part share for holidays Went to Italy, paid for itself by hiring to PO for Xmas post
1967 24m Morris Minor Convertible MMM631 948
1968 6m Ford 8 or Y type? Gifted to me, failed to fix issues, gave away!
1968 24m Morris Minor series 2* 631 MMM 803/948/1500
1969 6m Riley 1.5 Went to Yugoslavia and back used mechanicals to modify Morris Minor
1969 24m Morris Minor series 2* 1500cc Using 1.5 engine/gbox brakes suspension
1970 24m Triumph Herald 1200
1970 36m Hillman Imp 1965 998 Heavily modified ex sprint competition car
1971 12m Sunbeam Stilletto For spares
1971 24m Morris Minor 1000 1098
1972 3m +3m VW Beetle lhd 1200 Gifted by a departing American! Lent to brother and then returned to me
1972 24m Hillman Avenger 1 1500
1973 5 years Vauxhall Viva Van 1256 shared and lent out.
1975 12m Hillman Avenger 2 1600
1977 18m Vauxhall Chevette Estate 1 (new) 1256
1978 36m Renault 9 1400
1979 4yr Vauxhall Chevette Estate 2 (new) 1256
1982 3 years Austin Maxi HL? 1750
1985 19years Volvo 240 Estate New! 2316
1985 2 years Mini 1275GT 'Cat C' and I rebuilt back end
1985 22years Mini Scamp Kit car
1991 3 years Ford Granada (co) 2000 First company car!
1994 2 years Vauxhall Carlton Estate CDX (co) 2000 Company car
1996 12 years Ford Fiesta new! P262 MMJ 1262 On retirement!
2001 24m Volvo 340 1400
2003 9 years Ford Fiesta Flight P702 EOD 1262
2003 current Triumph TR7 convertible
2004 24m Citroen BX Turbo Diesel 1.7 Should never have got rid. It upset me by neeeding a waterpump when I had a bad back!
2005 24m Golf GTI Mk2 1.8 Cat D Fun.
2006 7 years Citroen Picasso 1.6 Hdi New
2011 36months Citroen BX Diesel 1.9 Scrapped as efforts to cut out tin worm escalated.
2008 current Panda 1.3 MJ Diesel (New)
2013 current Citroen Berlingo Hdi E Dream (New)
2013 36months 1998 Seat Cordoba Estate 1.6 kept as Spare! Daughters ex car
2016 current Citroen C3 Picasso 1.6HDi
And they are so much more economical....shouldn’t be too surprised with modern technological advances, but my almost 2 ton motor is currently showing almost 30 mpg on the computer thingy, and even spirited driving on lightly trafficked A roads it never drops below 20mpg which my D reg 2.8 XR 4x4 could only dream about.
Think the 1500cc Spitfire was low 30s
 Memories of previously owned cars - DP
>> And they are so much more economical....shouldn’t be too surprised with modern technological advances, but
>> my almost 2 ton motor is currently showing almost 30 mpg on the computer thingy,
>> and even spirited driving on lightly trafficked A roads it never drops below 20mpg which
>> my D reg 2.8 XR 4x4 could only dream about.
>> Think the 1500cc Spitfire was low 30s

That's the bit that impresses me most about modern cars. High performance now no longer means big fuel bills, at least when you're not using it all. My M140i will regularly show low 40s on the trip on a long run, and is averaging 29.4 over 14,000 miles. Yes, I've seen trip averages in the upper mid teens, but that was driving incredibly hard, and taking liberties with the license on a couple of occasions.

I bought a mk1 2.0 Focus as a stopgap while I was waiting for the BMW to be built, and despite less weight, 2/3 of the capacity, 2/5 of the power output and two fewer cylinders, it wasn't any better on fuel anywhere, except perhaps when driven flat out.
As stated previously, the biggest cost, by far, when buying privately, is depreciation. Insurance & mpg isn't a concern, unless you're young and live in a dodgy area
Moving swiftly on..
 Memories of previously owned cars - No FM2R
I was probably almost 40 before I bought a car where depreciation was actually a thing. And then getting on for 50 when I stopped buying cars where depreciation was a thing.

It is a very scary cost.

Memories of previously owned cars - PeterS
>>
>> It is a very scary cost.
>>
>>

Whilst it is a lot of money, especially for two cars, it’s less than we spend on holidays, and that’s for maybe 3 or 4 weeks away and half a dozen long weekends. The cars on the other hand provide both enjoyment and / or transport 52 weeks a year. Puts it into perspective, maybe... ;)
At the moment, I get company cars, so depreciation isn't really a consideration, but that hasn't, and won't always, be the case. The ones I've bought and will buy with my own money, have and will be chosen with a view to mitigating depreciation losses. I've had plenty of pleasure from cars that didn't cost a lot, and sometimes been a bit underwhelmed by some that did.

But then, I suppose, I am a bit of of a tight old hector in these matters.

;-)

Christ, you spend a lot of money on holidays.

It was about 2008 I think, around there anyway, when I worked out that the depreciation on my S Class was £1,300 per month. I can't really remember now but I think my Phaeton was about £1,000 per month.

That was the last time I ever considered an expensive car. At least with my own money.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 31 Mar 18 at 23:38
Yes, that’s true... although, I don’t spend *that* much on cars. I can’t imagine spending my own money on the likes of an S class Merc for example. I also, usually, keep new cars I’ve spent my own money on for about 4 years, so the depreciation levels out a bit. Don’t think I’ve ever lost more than £500 a month on any one car, and usually a lot less

Having said all that, I do very much enjoy wringing the best out of small, lower powered cars. It’s just that I don’t need all journeys to be fun. Otherwise that’s what I’d drive all the time. Sometimes comfort, space, the ability to put the roof down all take priority. It’s the fun that’s remembered though, which is why my most memorable cars are fairly unremarkable, and often were actually my partners and our second car:
 Memories of previously owned cars - Clk Sec
My first new car was a Maxi that I bought in 1980 and at that time it was my intention to buy new every 3 years, until I realised just how much depreciation it had suffered in the first 12 months, so I ended up keeping it for 15 years until it was scrapped.

Since then I've only had another 2 cars, the latest of which has served me well for almost 16 years, so depreciation has been quite kind to me.
My wife's Qashqai is now 10 years old. We bought it for £9995 when it was 2 years old. It might fetch £3000 now ( who knows, that's just my guess ) but if I'm about right, then it has cost about £73 a month in depreciation. It has never needed anything other than routine maintenance and a battery so I don't think that's too bad.

We keep threatening to change it, and I suppose one day we will, but for now, it seems to fit the bill.
 Memories of previously owned cars - Bromptonaut
>> My wife's Qashqai is now 10 years old. We bought it for £9995 when it
>> was 2 years old. It might fetch £3000 now ( who knows, that's just my
>> guess ) but if I'm about right, then it has cost about £73 a month

Depreciation is, as it were, front loaded. You lose most cash in vehicle's early years and crystalise that loss if you trade in while still relatively new. Keep it for 10+ years and you've spread the early loss over a much longer period and rate of depreciation is much lower in later years. Our last 3 all went to over 10 years and 150k plus miles. Two scrapped, one traded.

Theoretically buying as Humph did at 2yo is best compromise between cost and getting reliability and decent warranty. We have though found nearly new cars costing only a little less than brand new when offers etc are taken into account.
A friend of mine bought a property on the Costa Blanca last year. As it will be in use at least 6 months every year by him and his family, he thought he better buy a car out there. Second hand prices were extortionate compared to the U.K., so he bought a new Cashcow, and pays an annual fee to a company at Alicante airport who pick up and deliver when he flies in and out.
It’s a decent enough motor and got a massive discount from a local dealer, surprising given second hand residuals.
 Memories of previously owned cars - Kevin
>A friend of mine bought a property on the Costa Blanca last year.

Must have been some good deals over there on new Cashcows last year. My sister lives (permanently) about 30km from Alicante and she and one of her close friends both traded in for new Cashcows last year. She's very happy with it for the relatively low mileage that she does.
 Memories of previously owned cars - Zero
>> >A friend of mine bought a property on the Costa Blanca last year.
>>
>> Must have been some good deals over there on new Cashcows last year.

Seem to recall a local ad nr Alicante, year or two back Brand new cashcow €12000

Edit ooopps no, it was Cactus
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 2 Apr 18 at 19:59
 Memories of previously owned cars - tyrednemotional
>> We have though found nearly new cars costing only a little less
>> than brand new when offers etc are taken into account.
>>

...when my daughter bought a house that changed commuting patterns and thus necessitated a car, this was very much a factor.

She only needed a commuting runabout (second car in household), and, having priced things up I sourced her a new, but "run-out" Peugeot 107 at much the same price as reasonable mileage 1-2 year old used cars of a similar class. (Having done my homework, I simply named my price, and got a large discount).

With the added benefit of a 3-year warranty (never required), it was a no-brainer.

It has just sailed through its 2nd MOT, and has only needed servicing and two front tyres. Looking at advertised s/h prices and being quite conservative on expectations, it hasn't lost much if anything over £2000 in 4 years, which, at £10 per week, is (IMO) quite a bargain.
 Memories of previously owned cars - tyrednemotional
>> It has never needed anything other than routine maintenance and a battery so
>> I don't think that's too bad.
>>
...I understand most owners divest themselves of them to avoid the high replacement cost of magically-disappearing door-mirrors, though.....
 Memories of previously owned cars - Robin O'Reliant
My Almera cost me £700 twelve months ago and has just passed the MoT with one advisory on a rear tyre that will need replacing soon. Apart from two front tyres and a couple of oil changes it's been fine and will be with me till I scrap it, however long or short that time may be.

Mrs O'Reliants 55 plate Liana was acquired a week after I got mine and has also just had the MoT, £320 to get a pass note including a new battery and an oil change done while it was in the garage. Nothing needed in between. That too will be here till it dies. First Japanese cars we've owned and next time we need a couple of old bangers we'll go down that route again.

>> ...I understand most owners divest themselves of them to avoid the high replacement cost of magically-disappearing door-mirrors, though.....

Those weren't the car's fault though, that was the pixies...

:-(
>> My wife's Qashqai is now 10 years old. We bought it for £9995 when it
>> was 2 years old. It might fetch £3000 now ( who knows, that's just my
>> guess ) but if I'm about right, then it has cost about £73 a month
>> in depreciation. It has never needed anything other than routine maintenance and a battery so
>> I don't think that's too bad.
>>
>> We keep threatening to change it, and I suppose one day we will, but for
>> now, it seems to fit the bill.
>>

Ah well, if you want low depreciation our Audi Cabriolet was bought at 19 years old for £536 and sold 5 years later for £511. I make that £5 a year, or just over 1p per day. And no wing mirrors ;)
Last edited by: PeterS on Mon 2 Apr 18 at 20:48
Bleh !

;-)
 Memories of previously owned cars - devonite
Yesterday, I had a surprise visit from my brother! - 6yrs since I've last seen him! and guess what he turned up in! A 1976 Triumph 2500s! Almost identical to the one I used to own in the late 70's.
He said he loved the car when I had it and had wanted one for years, now his pension has come through he treated himself.
I had a good long drive around in it, and it brought back memories that I didn't realise or appreciate i had at the time i had the car, what a lovely machine to drive, comfort, power and smoothness of that big old straight six, and handling as good as any modern car today. Made me feel like I also wanted to go back in time and get one again!
Triumph made a big mistake when they consigned it to the bin, they should have continued to develop it through the ages, it was a stunning looker!
There are many good things to be said about them but...

"and handling as good as any modern car today"

is absolutely not one of them.

I should think that anything made within the last few years would out handle it by a mile.
 Memories of previously owned cars - HensTeeth
>> I should think that anything made within the last few years would out handle it
>> by a mile.
>>

Devonite might be less wide of the mark than would be supposed if it was in good order. Different car but AutoCar took a Rover P6 from 1967 to the European Car of the Year event a couple of years back - that model having won the award in 1964.

See tinyurl.com/y7l68gx9 (links to AutoCar). They took it round the same course as modern cars, and the general consensus was that it was far better riding than most and the handling and grip was good, albeit with a lot of body roll.

Memories of previously owned cars - devonite
>>"and handling as good as any modern car today

I should probably re-phrase that! - I could still handle it as good as any modern car today ;-)
 Memories of previously owned cars - Fenlander
I think the Rover P6 and Triumph 2000/2500s were both pivotal cars of their era. When they were introduced there were still old clunkers about as competitors such as Humber Hawk & Sceptre, Vauxhall Viscount, Peugeot 404 etc.

The Rover and Triumph were a real leap forward in modernity and driving dynamics.

Between parents, Mrs F and self we owned Triumph 2000 Mk1/Mk2 saloon & estate, 2.5PI and 2500... plus Rover 2000SC, 2200TC, several V8 auto & manual. So they are well known to me and fondly remembered.

The Rover 2000 was the first car we owned that had handling decent enough to inspire confidence to drive at speed on winding main roads wet or dry. Also where unexpected braking in a corner (however much it may be regarded as bad form) was possible without some disaster following.

The Triumph range had the advantage of the straight six engine that was so much smoother than the rather growly Rover 4cyls. But it's handling was not as good as the Rover with a rather unruly back end if pushed... still way better than a Cortina etc though.

The earlier Triumphs had nice leather and real wood whereas the Rovers despite better (IMO) leather seats "suffered" Formica type door tops. Later on Triumph went to plastic seats and sometimes cloth. By and large later Rovers were either still leather or a very nicely shaped cloth seat.

I'd be happy to have either on the drive now as a Sunday outing car.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 15 Apr 18 at 15:51
Latest Forum Posts