Motoring Discussion > Toyota Prius III - Ubers? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 45

Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - Lygonos
In London for first time in decades (other than air transfers) and there are sooooo many Prius everywhere, mostly in small wheels (15in means no CC I understand and 400 quid cheaper than standard 17in rims)

None seem to have Taxi plates on the back so I presume they are mostly Uber drivers?
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - rtj70
I thought all Uber cars would have Uber stickers on them so it would be obvious if it's an Uber. If it's not Uber branded then it's not Uber. And round here an Uber has a 'taxi licence' plate on the back.

Maybe these are private cars, as in not a taxi at all?
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - Lygonos

>> Maybe these are private cars, as in not a taxi at all?

The majority appear to have a driver plus 1 or more passengers in the back

Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - Zero
>>
>> >> Maybe these are private cars, as in not a taxi at all?
>>
>> The majority appear to have a driver plus 1 or more passengers in the back

Private hire cabs, a taxi in all respects except they can not be hailed on the street, need to be pre-booked
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - Bromptonaut
>> And round here an Uber has a 'taxi licence' plate on the back.

They would round here too - plate is 'private hire' though rather than a 'hackney carriage'. Latter can ply for hire whereas former are strictly pre-booked only. Same in most places I think but London doesn't seem to require private hire to display an external plate.

IIRC London also has issues with livery etc being applied to private hire vehicles. Addison Lee's window transfers are OK but not paint schemes - one of the early private hire companies with Fiat Multiplas fell foul of that rule.

Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - Duncan
Very likely.

The Active and business editions have 15" wheels. Buy the Business Plus and it comes on 17" wheels.

Uber's appeal against the loss of their licence is still going through the, er, procedures.

Posts crossed. I don't think any Prius's have taxi licencing.
Last edited by: Duncan on Tue 3 Apr 18 at 18:19
taxi plate? You'll find one on a licensed taxi, (IE a black cab or Euro cab) but not on any private hire car and there are gazzilions of them, not just Uber.
A private hire vehicle will need to be inspected and licensed and it will carry a sticker like this in the front or back window

www.cavendishcarservice.com/drivers-car-service-north-london-mini-cab.html

The driver will need a Private Hire License (I had one briefly as a stop gap to earn dosh if needed)

Both apply for Uber drivers in London

No plate with license number required as in other cities or boroughs.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 3 Apr 18 at 18:56
>> None seem to have Taxi plates on the back so I presume they are mostly
>> Uber drivers?

Hackney Carriages in London are almost universally LTI TX variants though the Mercedes Vito is also licensed. Possibly a few MCW Metrocabs also remain.

Private Hire vehicles like Uber should (IIRC) have a TfL sticker in rear window.
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - Rudedog
The ones I try and stay clear of are the ones with the luminous greenish/yellow diamond stickers in the back window, I thought they are the private cab drivers in outer London.
Would you get into a car that pulled up to say "Hi I'm your taxi/Uber" without any markings on it? Presumably people do. Could be anyone! John Warboys springs to mind.
>> Would you get into a car that pulled up to say "Hi I'm your taxi/Uber"
>> without any markings on it? Presumably people do. Could be anyone! John Warboys springs to
>> mind.

I've only used Uber once and in USA not at home - return to our hotel from a trip San Antonio Zoo on a trip which was part of Mrs B's science ed conference.

They told us the make/model, plate number and driver's name. Much better experience than the apparently licenced cab we took outbound who ended up in grounds of San Antonio Water Co with insufficient English to explain how that happened. We walked last mile.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 3 Apr 18 at 21:24
>> without any markings on it?

If I'd ordered it to an address, and it arrived at the stated time, then yes of course I would.
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - No FM2R
>Would you get into a car that pulled up to say "Hi I'm your taxi/Uber" without any markings on it?

Given that I know his name, the make/model of car and his reg. no, then yes.

Would you get into a car just because it had an orange light on top saying taxi?
>> Would you get into a car just because it had an orange light on top saying taxi?

Of course not. But shouldn't it say it's an Uber in this case? Someone out waiting for a taxi and a car pulls up.... I've never used Uber and based on their business model I don't intend to either. Mark I thought you disagreed with their business model too and yet you support them?

>> They told us the make/model, plate number

Our local taxi company does this - has done for years. If you book via your mobile (or their app) you will get a message it's about to arrive and details. Use the landline and it just rings once to alert you it's on the way.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 3 Apr 18 at 22:56
>> Of course not. But shouldn't it say it's an Uber in this case? Someone out
>> waiting for a taxi and a car pulls up.... I've never used Uber and based
>> on their business model I don't intend to either. Mark I thought you disagreed with
>> their business model too and yet you support them?

I don't like their business model either but if it's best route home I might still use it.

If I boycotted every business model I'd prefer to see different I'd be living in a cave...
Aren't there other proper taxi companies?

I rarely use taxis. We use a local firm to get to the airport and a black cab back (no waiting). And if I/we use the train to go anywhere other than Manchester we use a taxi to/from the main station (cheaper than two bus tickets each way).
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - PeterS
>> Our local taxi company does this - has done for years. If you book via
>> your mobile (or their app) you will get a message it's about to arrive and
>> details. Use the landline and it just rings once to alert you it's on the
>> way.

When you book an Uber you’ll know the name of the driver and what they look like, the make, model and registration number of the car, it’s arrival time and you can track it’s progress towards you in the app on a map. So I’m pretty sure that the car you get in will be the one you’ve booked...
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 4 Apr 18 at 08:16
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - No FM2R
>>Mark I thought you disagreed with their business model too and yet you support them?

What a strange point. I do dislike with their business model and I do on occasion use them. I'm not quite sure why you think those two things should be mutually exclusive.

>>But shouldn't it say it's an Uber in this case

Why?

>> >>But shouldn't it say it's an Uber in this case
>>
>> Why?

Your regular licensed taxi driver may well freelance for Uber, its a good buffer during slow periods.
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - Manatee
>> without any markings on it? Presumably people do. Could be anyone! John Warboys springs to
>> mind.

John Worboys was the exception that proved (as in tested) the rule.

Part of the design of the 'black cab' system is that licensed taxis are recognisable and trustworthy. Not only did Worboys take advantage of that, even the police found it difficult to believe that a black cab ticket holder would behave as he did.

The point about having to order private hire cars is that it makes them traceable (to the contact number) and that the car that picks you up is expected, not random.

Knowing that you have ordered the Uber and that the car that picks you up is the one in the system is about as good as it gets provided that Uber takes reasonable steps to recruit trustworthy people.
>> Knowing that you have ordered the Uber and that the car that picks you up
>> is the one in the system is about as good as it gets provided that
>> Uber takes reasonable steps to recruit trustworthy people.
>>

It isn't up to Uber to check that people are trustworthy. In fact, DBS checks can only be carried out by the authorities - not the employer.

Quote:-
"Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.

"There are 3 types of check:

1. a standard check shows spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings

2. an enhanced check shows the same as a standard check plus any information held by local police that’s considered relevant to the role

3. an enhanced check with barred lists shows the same as an enhanced check plus whether the applicant is on the list of people barred from doing the role
>> It isn't up to Uber to check that people are trustworthy. In fact, DBS checks
>> can only be carried out by the authorities - not the employer.

Think you will find that one of the reasons Uber had its London licensed revoked as because they did no background checking, Ok that is often self disclosure in taxi licence applications, but DBS checks are not limited to "authorities" They are available for many organisations who have safeguarding protocols and therefore requirements to check.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 4 Apr 18 at 11:44
DBS checks.

www.gov.uk/dbs-check-applicant-criminal-record
Which confirms what I said, its not only available to "authorities" Taxi drivers on contract to transport special needs kids will be checked, and not by the council employing the contracting firm..
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - Manatee
>> It isn't up to Uber to check that people are trustworthy. In fact, DBS checks
>> can only be carried out by the authorities - not the employer.

"reasonable" is the important word. If it were possible to do DBS checks then I think it would be reasonable to do so, but it might just mean asking for employment history and checking references.

Uber has I believe done less than this, and hidden behind the employment status of its 'self-employed' drivers. I think that was not only less than they could and should have done, but they also missed the opportunity to enhance their own brand by giving customers some reassurance.

It is still IMO advisable for customers to mitigate their own risks as far as (reasonably, again) possible. I'd rather not rely on any taxi driver I don't know to protect me and get me home in a state, so I take great care not to be drunk and incapable.
>> mind.
>>

Would you get into a car if you had been watching it approach on the app, a cheerful, presentable driver said "hello Mr rtj70, I am Duncan, your Uber driver". Would you get in then?
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - Avant
I think a lot of Government officials and some ministers are chauffeured around central London in Priuses.
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - Runfer D'Hills
It has more or less just occured to me, that although I'm in large cities quite a lot, especially London, that I've never actually used an Uber.

No real reason for that, it's just never happened. I guess I usually have my own car, or use the tube, or sometimes cycle. Very occasionally ( as in once in five years ) I've hailed a black cab, but only if some other plan has gone wrong.

Always drive myself to airports for some reason too.

Perhaps I need to drag myself screaming into the 21st century !

;-)
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - movilogo
>> I've never actually used an Uber

Neither did I - just never had the need.

When I need taxi I just call via phone or hail hackney taxi (usually when on business trip).

I did use app based taxi service outside UK and it works on same principle - car's make/model, driver's name and approximate fare is sent prior to car's arrival.
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - VxFan
IIRC, I haven't used a taxi for over 20 years.

The last bus I used was back in Feb 2015.
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - Robin O'Reliant
Last time I used a taxi was 2003, not been on a bus since about 1999.

Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - sooty123
Some long gaps since using a bus or taxi, I last used a taxi around Xmas and a bus probably 3 years ago.

Who's the longest, I'll bet someone on here hasn't used either since adulthood.
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - CGNorwich
How on earth do you manage hat? Never go out to a restaurant and want some wine? Never go to a foreign city and want a ride to the hotel.? Never use a park and ride?
>> How on earth do you manage hat? Never go out to a restaurant and want
>> some wine? Never go to a foreign city and want a ride to the hotel.?
>> Never use a park and ride?
>>

1/ Haven't drunk for nearly forty years

2/ My visits to Europe have been on a bicycle

3/ No
>> >> Never use a park and ride?
>> >>
>>
>> 1/ Haven't drunk for nearly forty years
>>
>> 2/ My visits to Europe have been on a bicycle
>>
>> 3/ No

Number 3/ I think he means yes.
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - CGNorwich
I guess your world is a lot different to mine. Have you never been tempted to take a plane to visit a foreign city or thought trying the park and ride might be good idea in a congested city with sky high parking charges or taken a bus ride just out of curiosity?
>> I guess your world is a lot different to mine. Have you never been tempted
>> to take a plane to visit a foreign city or thought trying the park and
>> ride might be good idea in a congested city with sky high parking charges or
>> taken a bus ride just out of curiosity?
>>
1/ No, I hate flying
2/ I don't live in a congested city
3/ No
>> 1/ No
>> 2/ I don't live in a congested city
>> 3/ No

Number 1/ I think he means yes.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 4 Apr 18 at 20:09
>>Never go out to a restaurant and want some wine?

Well I know I'm a bit weird, so I also know this isn't normal, but I really don't like taking the edge off my enjoyment of good food by drinking alcohol with it.

Don't expect anyone else to understand that by the way, but that's just the way I'm wired up I suppose.

Don't mind a drink, just not with food.

>> Don't mind a drink, just not with food.

well that's a shame, because some foods are enhanced by wine, just as some wines are enhanced by food.
 Toyota Prius III - Ubers? - VxFan
>> How on earth do you manage that? Never go out to a restaurant and want
>> some wine? Never go to a foreign city and want a ride to the hotel.?
>> Never use a park and ride?

I live in a rural village, and taxis cost the earth. It cost my mother £16 (return journey) the other day to use a taxi to pop to the nearest town. Nearest bus stop is nearly ¾ mile away, and has no footpaths to get to it. You have no choice but to walk on the road to get to it.

I haven't been abroad since 1999 and have never used a Park n Ride service.

You either stay at home and get drunk, or rely on friends / relatives to be DES.
Another weird thing. I'm quite happy to be the designated driver on social outings. Especially if they are work related.
I live in a rural village, and taxis cost the earth. It cost my mother
>> £16 (return journey) the other day to use a taxi to pop to the nearest
>> town.

Likewise, except it's more £25/30 each way around here. But still in the grand scheme of things like cars, houses etc I don't find it too bad. Certainly if a few are going out and we all fancy a drink no one has to miss out and splitting the cost it isn't too costly.
Now y'see that's where it gets interesting for me Sooty. I like a drink, but I'd never feel like I was "missing out" by not having one even if others were.
>> Now y'see that's where it gets interesting for me Sooty. I like a drink, but
>> I'd never feel like I was "missing out" by not having one even if others
>> were.

Absolutely we are all different. Say all fancy a drink and no one wants to drive a taxi is a good solution.
Latest Forum Posts