Motoring Discussion > Very quick urgent insurance question Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: BiggerBadderDave Replies: 14

Very quick urgent insurance question - BiggerBadderDave
I'm in London for a few days, kinda house-sitting.

My friend (the recently widowed) and her kids are coming back from their trip tomorrow afternoon from Stansted. Her uncle suddenly can't pick them up and has asked me to pick them up in her car.

I'm sure it's possible but is it simple? Her insurance company with me added on briefly? Or my insurance covering this car for a day? A Spanish Inquisition or few quick questions on the phone and a few quid on the credit card? Or cheaper to pay a taxi for her? North London.

Do I get up early for a nightmare on the phone or will it all be done in two mins?

So not in the mood for this. I'll have to put her delicates back in the drawer.

Cheers!
 Very quick urgent insurance question - Haywain
I'm pretty sure that my car insurance policy allows me to drive another car, but 3rd party only. Are you able to check your policy document? Or maybe a quick call to your insurers would confirm.
 Very quick urgent insurance question - rtj70
Might just be easier/quicker to take out a short term (day) insurance for the car.
 Very quick urgent insurance question - legacylad
My insurance policy allows me to drive anybody’s car, providing they have fully comp insurance, and with their permission, but only on a TP F & T basis.
Not all policies do, which is a major misconception
As Haywain says, ring your insurer.
Hey Haywain, you might be right.

I do have my Mac and I do have the certificate.

So to be clear can I drive her car, third party with her permission?

It says:

Person or classes of persons entitled to drive.
The policyholder
The policyholder only may also drive with the owner's permission a private motor vehicle not owned or registered by or hired to the policyholder under a hire purchase agreement.
All drivers must drive within the terms of a valid licence (etc.)

Driving other cars:
This cover is for the policyholder only, not named drivers and is restricted to third party cover in the UK (etc.) The damage to the vehicle you're driving isn't covered.

It appears that I am covered for this unplanned event...?

Cheers.
 Very quick urgent insurance question - RichardW
>> It appears that I am covered for this unplanned event...?
>>
>> Cheers.

Yep; just make sure you don't bend it at your fault, or you'll be liable for it!!
 Very quick urgent insurance question - devonite
<
He'll be liable for it when she discovers he's been in her delicates! - better off bending the car to divert her attention!! ;-))
 Very quick urgent insurance question - Manatee
>>Her insurance company with me added on briefly?

The main problem I can see with that is that you are not the policyholder and they won't even discuss it with you without her permission. So get her to call them first if you want to try it. Or impersonate her of course. Perhaps if you wear the delicates it will get you in the mood.
 Very quick urgent insurance question - Bobby
Yip, driving a car 3rd party you are responsible for repairs if accident your fault, or 50/50 or against insured driver.

I wouldnt drive someone else's car 3rd party.
Well, I have loaded all my documents into my phone and asked her to send me a text giving me permission to drive her car to and from the airport so it should be clear to any officer that I'm clued up and covered.

I wouldn't drive someone else's car with 3rd party only either, Bobby but these circumstances mean I'd go above and beyond what I'd do for most people. She's had one hell of an awful few months.

Cheers all
 Very quick urgent insurance question - No FM2R
It is very quick on the phone, but she will need to do it. That is by far the best choice if you can pull it together. If you do go that route she will need to know your name, address, age, years of driving, accidents and convictions and occupation.

On your insurance (I assume that was your certificate you were quoting) it is third party cover only, no fire or theft. AND ONLY WHILE YOU ARE IN IT. Always a risk.

Of course, you could always drive to the airport carefully and then she could drive it back home again normally covered.

If something happens while it is parked in Stansted car park I'm sure it will be after she is back in charge of the car.
You're right, Mark, she's driving the thing back. And I will call them in the morning, too, this insurance thing has always made me nervous.

I have my insurance schedule in my phone now which does seem to know everything about me. I'll ping that over to her.

Well I never... 79.5% no claim discount... Dread to think if I was paying the full amount.

Cheers!
 Very quick urgent insurance question - Bill Payer
>> On your insurance (I assume that was your certificate you were quoting) it is third
>> party cover only, no fire or theft. AND ONLY WHILE YOU ARE IN IT. Always
>> a risk.
>>
The car's existing insurance covers it when he's not in it.
All went smoothly. And she drove it back.

Good to know about this clause, too. I might have known that earlier if I'd ever read the certificate.

Cheers chaps.
 Very quick urgent insurance question - Bill Payer
>> Good to know about this clause, too. I might have known that earlier if I'd
>> ever read the certificate.

Do check it in future - especially for this clause as insurers have been know to quietly drop it off and it's caught people out who didn't realise. Some insurers only include it on request.

I always check them quite carefully - one year my daughter got one that had the wrong year on it, so it had expired when we got it. From a very big name insurer too. The reg number being wrong is a common error too.
Latest Forum Posts