Motoring Discussion > Motorway roadworks - how do they get completed? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 7

Motorway roadworks - how do they get completed? - smokie
Seems whenever I drive by there are enough blokes there but they are mostly just standing round chatting, or on the phone, with one, maybe two tops, actually doing anything.

Maybe there's SWAT squads which swing onto action near the deadline if the works are behind.

This post is slightly t-i-c but there does seem to be an over abundance of manpower sometimes...

(I do realise that some are done overnight only, I'm talking about the daytime ones when there are workers present)
 Motorway roadworks - how do they get completed? - Bobby
I would imagine that there will be an abundance of H&S advisers, observers for any of these works to ensure everyone's safety?
 Motorway roadworks - how do they get completed? - rtj70
For the very lengthy (time and distance) roadworks on the M6... not a lot of activity for the work. So I am with Smokie on this.... this is day or night. They are doing a small bit at a time I guess but little visible activity. Costing the tax payer a lot no doubt.
 Motorway roadworks - how do they get completed? - Bromptonaut
I'm a reasonably regular traveller through M6 'Smart Motorway' works J16-19 and was much more frequent during works between corresponding numbered junctions on M1.

During day work is limited to extending/reinforcing former hard shoulder and preparation for night time when real work takes place. Latter was demonstrated in small hours of 21 September last returning home via M1 after my Mother died. Whole of n/b carriageway from 16-18 was closed to allow resurfacing and marking of new lanes.

Setting that up and ensuring comms, supplies, breaks, staff reliefs etc were just right must have taken days spent on site consulting with colleagues by phone or f2f.....
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 14 Apr 18 at 00:14
 Motorway roadworks - how do they get completed? - rtj70
>> During day work is limited to extending/reinforcing former hard shoulder and preparation....

Nobody about doing anything.

>> Whole of n/b carriageway from 16-18 was closed to allow resurfacing and marking of new lanes.

And this is the M6?
 Motorway roadworks - how do they get completed? - R.P.
Major works going on at our local hospital. Loads of contractors, usually in groups of two or three walking around at half speed on their phones...time and motion studies would have a field day.
 Motorway roadworks - how do they get completed? - Cliff Pope
Guidelines for temporary roadworks:

1) Set up traffic lights several days before the work is due to start.
2) Work very slowly. If you do have any workmen on site, put them on things like moving cones about a bit or walking from one site hut to another.
3) Make sure to leave small uncompleted bits at the edges so that the whole area has to remain coned off for the duration.
4) When finished, leave the lights set up as long as possible afterwards.
5) Use one of our approved suppliers of unreliable lights, the kind that stick on red overnight to hold up the morning rush hour.
6) Remember that your purpose is to keep our workforce in jobs. Don't get any silly ideas that you are keeping open the arteries of the nation. There isn't a war on (yet).
 Motorway roadworks - how do they get completed? - Bromptonaut
>> And this is the M6?

No M1
Latest Forum Posts