Motoring Discussion > Castrol R Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 27

Castrol R - bathtub tom
I've just spent a couple of days at Silverstone at a VSCC (Vintage Sports Car Club) meet.

How do I get the smell of 'R' out of my nostrils?
 Castrol R - Fullchat
Now why would you want to do that? People pay good money for that :)
 Castrol R - Bromptonaut
Would that account for the MG, Austin Healey Sprite etc models I saw going north on A5 this afternoon?
 Castrol R - Manatee
More likely on their way back from Bicester Heritage - there were certainly plenty there. We left about 1.30pm and the general drifting off had started.
 Castrol R - Rudedog
Wasn't one of the downsides of the smell that it gave you the trots? or was that a myth?
 Castrol R - Manatee
There is a connection. The word Castrol is a contraction of castor oil.
 Castrol R - Rudedog
Sure, probably a good incentive to be at the head of the pack!
 Castrol R - No FM2R
>>The word Castrol is a contraction of castor oil.

Is that really the origin, or did you make it up?
 Castrol R - Manatee
It's true, it's the origin of the name.
 Castrol R - Duncan
>> It's true, it's the origin of the name.
>>

Honest.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castrol
 Castrol R - bathtub tom
>> Wasn't one of the downsides of the smell that it gave you the trots? or
>> was that a myth?

WW1 pilots suffered from sitting behind a large engine with a total loss oiling system. I don't think mineral oils were available then.
 Castrol R - Pat
Better smell than any expensive girly perfume.

Pat
 Castrol R - BiggerBadderDave
The second-best smell ever is when I would walk into Manchester Piccadilly Train Station in the 70s and there were rows of Deltics. I loved that. Not just the engineering and the fuel and the oil, it meant I was going on a trip, probably to London. A fantastic smell. A fantastic sight. A fantastic noise.
 Castrol R - Zero
Should have been with me to see, hear and smell these then me ole son.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDm8oG1yB4Y

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfMIKIZ_Ojk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FfXa_W5IPs

Castrol R - BiggerBadderDave
Fantastic, Zero.

They really do it for me, far more than steam. My old man was a mechanic who worked on them after he left the navy so I did stand in the cab of one when they were shunting. Must only have been about 6, I was terrified. Well, at least it's one to tick off for the bucket list.

Castrol R - legacylad
I’ve lived in the Settle area nigh on 20 years, and have yet to see a Deltic hauling a special on the Settle- Carlisle line. I’m not au fait with locomotive traction units but would recognise one if I saw it....I get a good view of the line from my house, maybe 3/4 mile in total from the station north, and often see ‘flat fronted’ diesels hauling specials.
Two recent steam hauled specials were cancelled recently, or maybe replaced by diesels. I wasn’t around but noticed “cancelled” on the info board at Settle station which lets folks know when a steamer is passing through.
Any ideas why Deltics don’t run on the SC line?
 Castrol R - tyrednemotional
>> I’ve lived in the Settle area nigh on 20 years, and have yet to see
>> a Deltic hauling a special on the Settle- Carlisle line.

....whilst not wanting to be "picky", I doubt there were ever "rows" of Deltics in Manchester Piccadilly.

They've certainly worked the S&C, though there are only a few preserved, and their mainline use has been somewhat sparse.
Last edited by: tyrednemotional on Mon 23 Apr 18 at 11:55
 Castrol R - Zero
Strictly an ECML monster, they get sick and catch fire if asked to worked east of Doncaster.

However I know one worked the S&C in 2010 and you are in luck, D9009 Alycidon is working that route Sep 29th, southbound.
 Castrol R - Bromptonaut
>> Strictly an ECML monster, they get sick and catch fire if asked to worked east
>> of Doncaster.

Do you mean west of Doncaster? They were fairly regular performers to Hull and Cleethorpes into the eighties. By that time they were also on some Trans-Pennine services in place of Peaks or 47s but in those days that would take them to Manchester Victoria rather than Piccalilli.
 Castrol R - Zero
>> >> Strictly an ECML monster, they get sick and catch fire if asked to worked
>> east
>> >> of Doncaster.

Yes I meant West.
 Castrol R - legacylad
Thanks for the heads up on the Deltic southbound on the Settle-Carlisle 29/09. Unfortunately I’m not around and it would have been worth the short stroll to stand on the footbridge at Settle station and watch it pass.
Hopefully somebody might video it and put it on YouTube....Dentdale (Dent station is the highest mainline station in England..I often start walks from there and return to Settle from Ribblehead) is a great place to view these specials and only a short drive from where I live.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 23 Apr 18 at 21:46
 Castrol R - Zero

>> ....whilst not wanting to be "picky", I doubt there were ever "rows" of Deltics in
>> Manchester Piccadilly.

Built for the ECML, thats where they mostly lived and worked by KX, York, Newcastle and Edinburgh Waverly crews. The ECML is ideal for them and they dont have issues on that line. Stick them anywhere else (specially on preserved railways) and they have a tendency to combust the exhausts - being a two stroke diesel, its almost a total loss lubrication system, and unburned oil collects in the bottom of the exhaust and catches fire if its not running at full bore. The ECML crews knew how to blow them out, the rest of the network couldn't cope and panicked at the site of flames.

Castrol R - Duncan
>> The second-best smell ever is when I would walk into Manchester Piccadilly Train Station in
>> the 70s and there were rows of Deltics. I loved that. Not just the engineering
>> and the fuel and the oil, it meant I was going on a trip, probably
>> to London. A fantastic smell. A fantastic sight. A fantastic noise.

A wonderful bit of kit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic
 Castrol R - Rudedog
Talking of automotive smells, on my first visit to GFoS about 11 years ago I'll always remember coming across a W154 being started, the incredible ear splitting noise and the sweet corrosive smell of those extreme pre-war engines will always stay with me.... it wasn't until after I got home I found out what a toxic concoction it was (methyl alcohol, nitrobenzene, acetone and sulfuric ether).
 Castrol R - R.P.
4 largish trail bikes passed down our lane the other afternoon, perfect late spring morning, decent noise and the waft of Castrol R across the fields...

www.classic-oils.net/Castrol-R40

You can still get it, even for aromatic purposes.
 Castrol R - MD
Superb filming Zero. Reminds me of my youth spent on the platform at West Drayton and/or the pedestrian bridge close by. Most drivers used to give us a blast. Very happy days.
 Castrol R - Robin O'Reliant
For a really distinctive oily smell Bardahl 2-stroke was hard to beat, it hung in the air long after the bike had disappeared over the horizon. A one time nfavourite of off roaders, I don't think you can get it anymore.
 Castrol R - Roger.
I used to run a Gp1 race/rally tuned Mini 850 on R.
When I had my 970 Cooper S, used for both road and track, I used Duckhams Q20/50, with no problems - and a lot cheaper, too.
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 25 Apr 18 at 10:05
Latest Forum Posts