Motoring Discussion > Speed Camera Laser jammer finger gesture Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 32

Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - Falkirk Bairn
= 8 months in prison for 67 year old driver

tinyurl.com/yax6w7eu (links to www.telegraph.co.uk in case you were wondering)

He will be regretting his actions "big style" this morning.

This serial offender will realise that porridge has more than one meaning.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 24 Apr 18 at 10:04
 Speed Camera +Laser jammer +finger gesture - Manatee
He needed dealing with but prison is ridiculous for that - at the end of the day it was a motoring offence.

Bit of an Admiral Byng job, that.
 Speed Camera +Laser jammer +finger gesture - Bromptonaut
>> He needed dealing with but prison is ridiculous for that - at the end of
>> the day it was a motoring offence

He wasn't sentenced for the motoring offence, speeding, because there was no evidence of his speed. Jail reflects the serious matter of perverting the course of justice, not just the jammer but attempting to dispose of it and initially lying about his whereabouts at time of offence.

A fine and 200 hours community service might have been better value for the state but I suspect joe public would see it as a let off so that extent the Byng factor probably is in play.
 Speed Camera +Laser jammer +finger gesture - Zero

>> A fine and 200 hours community service might have been better value for the state
>> but I suspect joe public would see it as a let off so that extent
>> the Byng factor probably is in play.

The legal process has more fear of being bypassed than actual offences being processed. If there is widespread abuse of the process by the populace, enforcement of crime becomes impossible.
 Speed Camera +Laser jammer +finger gesture - Manatee

>> He wasn't sentenced for the motoring offence, speeding, because there was no evidence of his
>> speed. Jail reflects the serious matter of perverting the course of justice,

Yes I realise that Bromp, but the point of it was to speed and get away with it, which makes him like nearly everybody else. I agree he has gone further but morally it is no different to employing Mr Loophole.

Much more stupid of course and I don't really care about him, it's self inflicted. I just think it's a waste of money.

We don't even know whether he successfully perverted the course of justice unless we know he was speeding. Perhaps he should have got Mr Loophole on the case.
 Speed Camera +Laser jammer +finger gesture - Bromptonaut
>> We don't even know whether he successfully perverted the course of justice unless we know
>> he was speeding. Perhaps he should have got Mr Loophole on the case.

He doesn't need to succeed - attempting is enough. Trying to hide evidence (he threw the device into a river) and lying as to whereabouts are enough on their own.

The camera operator will presumably know if a jammer is being operated or at least have significant clues. Do it once and you might get away with it. Three times in a conspicuous vehicle and while giving Police the finger is asking for it.

Public policy demands that and example is made. You're right about waste of money but we've already covered the Byng thing.
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - movilogo
>> at the end of the day it was a motoring offence.

Not it is not and hence the sentence.

Reading the entire news and some comments there.

1. He did it repeatedly before getting caught.
2. Then tried to pervert course of justice.
3. Some readers commented that such jammer can interfere with Auto Emergency Braking ability of some cars.
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - VxFan
>> This serial offender....

I would hardly call someone who did it three times a "serial offender"
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - No FM2R
Well I don't know what you would call it then.

Though I am a little curious...

"But his actions were spotted by police, who noted his distinctive personalised registration plate."

So if it hadn't been personalised and distinctive they wouldn't have been able to find him?
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - Zero

>> So if it hadn't been personalised and distinctive they wouldn't have been able to find
>> him?

I think thats a little bit of press juice.
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - tyrednemotional
>>
>> I think thats a little bit of press juice.
>>

It was probably the very noticeable "FU2"............
>> >> This serial offender....
>>
>> I would hardly call someone who did it three times a "serial offender"

For someone who goes equipped to break the law, then deliberately breaks the law, and show intent by taunting the enforcement process, and does it three times, I think "serial offender" is very apt.
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - Fenlander
What an old fool... needed a good kick up the backside.

If you must speed do it safely away from cameras and take it on the chin if caught.
If you get caught speeding, you were clearly going faster than your concentration and awareness allowed.
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - TheManWithNoName
What a total 4rs.
He deserves everything he gets (including a night time visit from Big Ron in D wing!).
Obnoxious fool is probably the sort to drive inches from your bumper and thinks he owns the road.

I hope he gets done for littering too after throwing his device in the river.

Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - sherlock47
Littering, - much better to do him under the Water Pollution Offences.......

For England and Wales, the principal water pollution offences are contained in the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010.

If a person is tried and convicted in a Magistrates Court, they could be fined any amount and/or sentenced to up to twelve months imprisonment. If they are tried and convicted in a Crown Court they could face an unlimited fine and/or be sentenced to up to five years imprisonment.
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - Lygonos
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Range Rover too - who'da thunk it.
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - R.P.
Yes. Driving 90 to a 100 miles a day in the locality. I see some dreadful driving. Hate stereotyping but a lot does seem to involve Land Rover (but not Defender style) products. Usually parked inappropriately especially at the local General Hospital. Unbelievably parked on red Ambulance routes.

On deliveries today for the first time today around surgeries. Stress free. My day was six hours long - great.
>>This serial offender will realise that porridge has more than one meaning.

Serial offender / Cereal offender will realise that porridge has more than one meaning.
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - rtj70
I think he got off as lightly as he should. On three occasions he was speeding (knowing he was being observed) and got caught. He thought the laser jammer device would avoid being caught. But he knew he was speeding and being observed/recorded because he used the finger gesture.

Bang to rights. All he had to do instead was slow down. And how many times was he speeding on these roads when the camera vans were not there?
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - Robin O'Reliant
Jailed for being an arrogant prat.

What's not to like?
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - Pat
Spot on R O'R, it should happen more often.

Pat
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - PR
The bloke is an idiot and deserves punishment.

Its in my neck of the woods but one observation I have is this..

On C5 Police interceptors, they showed a car chase, which included the same bit of the A19...
The scrote had no licence, uninsured, in a stolen car. The chase went on for a long time, later had collisions with other things (street furniture, a parked car), with very illegal speeds particularly in a 30 zone.

They got him. The narrator pointed out he got a driving ban.

Somewhat skewed sentencing in my opinion.
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - Manatee
>> no licence, uninsured, in a stolen car. The chase went on for
>> a long time, later had collisions with other things (street furniture, a parked car), with
>> very illegal speeds particularly in a 30 zone.
>>
>> They got him. The narrator pointed out he got a driving ban.
>>
>> Somewhat skewed sentencing in my opinion.

Exactly.

They have taken a bloke who, however obnoxious, presumably paid his way and made him a burden on the state for 4 months.

I get that PTCOJ is serious - and when it comes to threatening or intimidating witnesses and judges then I can see why hefty jail sentences are dished out.The other ground for prosecution is destruction or fabrication of evidence, which is I presume what they have got him on but that seems a bit thin.

He has quite rightly been punished, but when some people are given suspended sentences for GBH (references below), it's just stupid to give him 8 months even though I have no sympathy for him.

goo.gl/qpCauh goo.gl/PYGHMn goo.gl/n3TzGo
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - Roger.
So every person accused of any offence, knowing he/she has done it, is guilty of "perverting the course of justice" if they deny and lie about it?
It's a catch-all , damned if you do, damned if you don't, law.
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - Manatee
That would be perjury, although it itseems to be that simply denying having done something even when the denier is subsequently found guilty of it doesn't count as perjury. Perhaps not getting the 'not guilty' discount is punishment for implied lying?

Somewhere near the nub of this is whether it is worse, and how much worse, to pervert the course of justice than to commit the relevant offence itself.

WHen PTCOJ means threatening and intimidating witnesses it's easy to see why it could well be worse. When it is using an illegal radar jammer then it's a bit more tenuous, to me.

I admit I haven't thought that through fully, I have stuff to do for once.

>> WHen PTCOJ means threatening and intimidating witnesses it's easy to see why it could well
>> be worse. When it is using an illegal radar jammer then it's a bit more
>> tenuous, to me.

Personally its not tenuous to me, I see little or no difference. The offence is the same, the only difference is that its sentencing does not appear to be graduated according to outcome.
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - Duncan
>> So every person accused of any offence, knowing he/she has done it, is guilty of
>> "perverting the course of justice" if they deny and lie about it?
>> It's a catch-all , damned if you do, damned if you don't, law.
>>

"So every person accused of any offence, knowing he/she has done it, is guilty of
"perverting the course of justice" if they deny"

If you plead 'not guilty', that is saying 'let the evidence be heard'. no crime has been committed.

If you plead 'not guilty' and say that you were in Australia at the time of the offence, when you weren't, that is perjury.

If you plead not guilty and produce your twin brother's passport to 'prove' you were in Australia, when you weren't, that is PtCoJ.

IANAL.
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - Bromptonaut
Perverting or attempting to pervert the course of justice, by whatever means, is a major offence and one the courts take seriously given the consequences. Prison is pretty well inevitable and the max is life but more normally between 3 and 36 months.

www.inbrief.co.uk/offences/perverting-the-course-of-justice/

Chris Huhne and his ex-wife Vicky Price are cases in point.

GBH/Assault as part of a pub fight or some other confrontation is actually quite low on overall scale of things. Obviously a pattern of consistent offending - street thuggery etc - is different.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 25 Apr 18 at 10:50
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - henry k
Did he get a good lawyer ?

ronfccc.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/just-because-you-did-it-doesnt-mean-youre-guilty/
One wonders how well that image and message goes down with Juries he now has to convince....
 Speed Camera + Laser jammer + finger gesture - CGNorwich
Surely his message is correct.

If, for example if you admit to killing somebody and are charged with murder it doesn’t mean you are guilty of that crime does it? It could, for example, have been self defence.
>>some people are given suspended sentences for GBH

A few years back I was on a jury for a 23 yr old local worthy - GBH assaulted a 19 year old who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Broke his jaw & eye socket - changed his plea after 2 hours evidence - he had done exactly this before & been fined. This time he got community service.

Roll on 2/3 years he hit a 50+ year old at a taxi rank having accused the victim of taking "his taxi". The victim now needs 24 hour care & is bed bound after brain damage. He was given 8 years but the victim got life.
Latest Forum Posts