Motoring Discussion > Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bellboy Replies: 38

Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Bellboy
Dacia to be sold in GB from 2012
the Duster is described as "a Renault 4 for 2010. It's simple, cheap, robust and big inside.
I would agree with this
Its a step forward for renault and at least these cars are not as complicated to sort out when they go faulty
New logan due 2013 although the current one looks very newish to me with its big daewoo type lights
message ends................................................................
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Bagpuss
Dacias have been a fairly common sight for the last 8 years or so here in Germany. A bit surprised at the description of the Duster model. The one sold here as the Dacia Duster is actually the flagship model (if that's not a contradiction in terms) and is a compact SUV complete with Common Rail diesel engine but with prices approaching Golf territory. A world away from the original Duster of the 1980s which I remember being basically the Renault 12.

The entry level Dacia is the Sandero which is a simple, spacious small car and the one which would appear to be the big seller here is the Logan MCV which is 7 seat long wheel base estate version of the Logan saloon. There is no other 7 seater available for close to the price and it has the benefit compared to the rest of the range of actually looking like someone bothered to style it.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Dog
Dacia Duster ... The Movie ~ tinyurl.com/yf3ta7s
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - ....
On a similar note to the title I saw a couple of FIAT Linea today. I would not be surprised to see these appear in the UK if the Dacia takes off. They are about 2.5k€ less than a Bravo.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Iffy
Wish them well, but it seems to me these basic cars never quite have the basic price to match by the time they go on sale here.

Type approval? Exchange rate? Vat? Cost of righthand drive conversion? Cost of dealer network?

Circumstances seem to conspire against cheap new cars in this country.

type approval...........yes eu compliant
exchange rate ...........yes they are built in the old soviet union so exchange rate still good
right hand converssion?....this is why the new logan wont come here till the new model in 2013
cost of dealer network?.....its been decided renault dealers will sell these from a corner next to the toilets in the showrooms

next question? :-)
as i say i look forward to more basic cars making it here,remember the reason the logan hasnt come sooner is because it would show renault cars up as overpriced
...i look forward to more basic cars making it here...

So do I, but I bet they won't be cheap.

>> Wish them well but it seems to me these basic cars never quite have the basic price to match by the time they
>> go on sale here.

The cheapest Dacia in Germany is the Sandero which lists at around 6,500 Euros. It's quite large for the price, being bigger than say a Polo. Problem is, in a world without scrappage subsidies, that money would say to me more "3 year old Golf" than "brand new Dacia".

The only one in the range that really seems to have a USP is the Logon MCV as it has 7 seats, but even then I guess most would be more tempted by a used Zafira. Most of the Dacias I've seen have been Logon MCVs. I've seen a few Sanderos and Logon saloons, but I'm guessing these were largely scrappage deal sales. I've yet to see a Duster on the road.
...would say to me more "3 year old Golf" than "brand new Dacia"...

That's another hurdle for the likes of Dacia to overcome.

Car buyers in this country are fairly conservative and would rather go for a brand they know and trust.

At least Dacia has Mr Renault lurking somewhere in the background.

go to say Czechoslovakia especially prague and the logan is slowly taking over where skoda left off
this says they surely must still be value for money?
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - WellKnownSid
>> Car buyers in this country are fairly conservative and would rather go for a brand
>> they know and trust.

In Spain, a Dacia comes with a 4 year warranty which is double that of 90% of brands which only offer the legal minimum 2 years.

If you were to pick a 3 year old Golf here, unless it came from a main dealer forecourt or had a stack of paperwork, it's 99.9% likely to have been clocked!
The basic Sandero in Spain including scrappage is now 5,250 euros, up slightly from last year - but whilst that includes all taxes on the road, it doesn't include power steering!

I think the Sandero is a great car, but they've deliberately cut a few corners that didn't need to be cut - trim pieces missing around the wheel arches, the plastic panel housing the aircon controls has the feel of the lid from a tub of Tesco Value vanilla ice cream. It feels like they moulded the entire interior floor to ceiling in one go to create the car like a giant airfix!

The Logan feels cheaper still - but the station wagon is big (although herse-like!)

I can understand why both cars are popular in Europe. Not only are they cheap as chips, they have been designed with ride height and suspension to withstand tough 'old-europe' highways, so will no doubt be able to cope the pot-holes in St Albans much better than Fords or Opels.

The downside is the popularity has meant it's hard to get hold of any - plus when you start adding back in the things they cut out to meet the base model price-point, the price soon creeps up close to mainstream levels, at least in Spain.
thanks WellKnownSid good posts
I well remember working on the Romanian built Dacia's that were basically Reno 12's.
I found them to be far preferable to the FSO's, Lada's and Skoda's of their day.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - -
There's a lot of us still want simple vehicles, i wish them well.
I was shredding some paperwork this evening when I came across a quote I had for the Dacia Sandero last June. This may give you an idea of how close they are to mainstream motors, all prices in euros.

Sandero 1.2 16V 75CV including air-con and radio / CD / MP3
Including the 2,500 euro scrappage scheme in Valencia - eur 7,253.87

As it happened, the waiting list put us off, then we walked into a Skoda dealer and walked out having bought a special edition Fabia including scrappage for 7,999

On paper, the Fabia has one less cylinder, 10 less valves and 15 less horses, is three seconds slower 0-100km, and has two years less warranty - all for 750 euros more! In the flesh - there is no comparison.

First impressions - the Fabia instantly felt more like a 'real car' - costs are obviously cut to meet a price point, but not corners. The Fabia felt much more solid, drove very well, and was more refined despite the lesser engine. The Fabia also came with a fully integrated Radio / CD / MP3 rather than a slot-in DIN fitting thing - has 4 more speakers, two more airbags, plus electric front windows and remote central locking - (both extras on the Sandero whcih would have added another 240 euros to the bill).

The Fabia interior also shows the VW pedigree, something that the Dacia can't match. Opt for electric windows all round on the Dacia, for example, and the front window switches are fitted to the dashboard above the aircon controls, the rears are fitted behind the handbrake for both driver and rear passengers to share. The switchgear on the Skoda comes from an entirely different planet.

I hope that gives some useful insight!
Cars seem to be quite expensive in Spain. Sandero with aircon and MP3 in Germany would be around 7,700 Euros. The scrappage scheme has expired but would have taken it down to 5,200 Euros. Still not cheap enough to make it worthwhile in my opinion.

The Fabia is in a different universe to the Sandero, but then the Fabia is based on a Volkswagen and the Sandero is based on a Renault.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Ian (Cape Town)
sandero?
I've just put 25kms on one.

If it had a tail, it would bark
WHAT a hound!
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Bazza1603
I seen loads of Dacia's in Spain last week. The Dacia Duster crossover really caught my eye...
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Old Navy
In Turkey they have joint Renault / Dacia dealers and factories. Seems to be a popular car, lots on the road.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 5 Jul 11 at 13:08
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Skoda
>> The Dacia Duster crossover really caught my eye...

I'd like to have a shot of one.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/dacia/duster-2012/
Photo's above dont do it justice... Looks nicer in the flesh, and even the brown looks good...

I wonder what it will be like to drive...

Last edited by: Bazza1603 on Tue 5 Jul 11 at 17:08
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Skoda
>> I wonder what it will be like to drive...

Hopefully comfortable, no offset pedals shennanigans, and not too outrageously shopping trolley like, no overriding tendency to understeer. Squishy but rugged would suit it.

I also wonder how it's built, hopefully with minimal fripperies and loads of room under the bonnet. No crazy assembly methods.

That would really appeal, a cheap rugged, comfortable, easy to work on car. No fancy details and no toys.

Can anyone find a picture of the original Dacia Duster....? I remember the name, but cant remember what they look like
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Fenlander
mcvjournaal.punt.nl/upload/Dacia_Duster_Old.jpg
cgi.ebay.com/DACIA-DUSTER-AND-SHIFTER-SALES-SHEET-/380231350648?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item58878df978
Thats why I cant remember them! Ugly or what

I can remember the Dacia Denim as a neighbour had one and from what I can remember it never gave any problems and it didnot rust like the BL car
The old Duster looks a bit of a dog, Baz, The Denim (I believe) was based on the Renault 12, well - it was a Renault 12

= Good car!
Late edit ... For Denim, read Denem :}
And ... there's more - The old Dacia Duster was actually an ARO 10 ~ en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARO_10
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Notdoctorchris
I'm reviving this old post.
www.dacia.co.uk/?WT.srch=1
The above website logs the countdown to the launch of the Dacia Duster in the UK. However the car will only be available to see and hopefully test drive at selected Renault dealers on June 28th. In addition orders can be placed but delivery will probably be in December.
I'm oddly tempted by this car, to replace my Panda 4x4.
The Panda, the second mark 3 4x4 I've owned, is not as well built as its predecessor and I'm finding it a bit small these days.
I rather like the idea of a competent 4x4 at a modest price, stripped of the bling and clever interior design that is commonly found in the UK market. I like the idea of a car which can be parked in a UK car park without me worrying too much about the inevitable bumps and scrapes it will pick up.
My annual mileage is relatively low and carried out at a leisurely pace.
Of course, seeing the car in the flesh and actually driving it may put me off the idea entirely!
This car seems to be selling well on mainland Europe, anyone out there driven one or with experience of ownership?
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - mattbod
One will still have to do the sums as Renault say there will be no discounting whatsoever. My experience of Dacias on the continent are that they are cheap and fairly crude but capable for all that. Might be worth a punt if you want something utilitarian though I would go for a nearly new mainstream brand.
Last edited by: mattbod on Thu 10 May 12 at 18:55
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Ian (Cape Town)
Drove the Sandero and Sandero Stepway recently.
Crude, 80s styling, noisy, and I after 5000 miles (based on the ones I drove) will start to give problems in the trim and rattle departments. Gearshift was appalling to work with.
Also, the paintwork was horrid - If I'd had my car back from a panel shop like that, i'd have refused it. And this sandero was brand new!
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Dave
They've sold them here for a few years, but they're pretty rare on the roads. The big seller is the pickup, apparently.

I looked at the Logan 7 seater as a useful runabout for deliveries and collections. The local place wouldn't budge on price, but there are places on the net that are offering discounts. But the crafty blighters only bring in the posher(!) trim levels with a suitably higher price. I was looking at the basic petrol model with 5 seats and black bumpers for 9999Sek, but was told something like 3 or 4 months delivery.

People don't often buy cheap cars, it seems.
Last edited by: R.P. on Thu 10 May 12 at 20:51
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Roger.
I used to have a Lada dealership and I can tell you that the Dacias of the time were streets behind the Riva range.
Dacias were horrid cars with perpetually leaky gearboxes and duff electrics.
I had a pal with a joint Yugo/Dacia dealership and his stories about the Dacias were eye-watering. The Yugos were OK, though, in their rather quirky way.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - mikeyb
While out today I spotted a Dacia stand showing off a Duster.

Its actually not a bad looking car in the metal. This one was silver.

I guess it was the top spec one, but it also had leather - I couldn't find that listed as an option on the UK website, although this one was a left hooker.

The young lady told me this model was 13K, and TBH it was a nice piece of kit for that sort of money.

The one thing that did surprise me was the size - it was much bigger than I had imagined, very roomy inside, the boot was a useful size.

A quick sit inside showed it as a renault parts bin special, but that's not a bad thing.

I could consider one next year as a 5 year + keeper
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Runfer D'Hills
I'd quite like to know how to pronounce it. Is it "day-see-a" or dah-chee-yah? I favour the latter.
 Dacia-Renault Logan MCV - dacia coming - Armel Coussine
Dayseer, to me. Like Renno and Sitrun.
Latest Forum Posts