Motoring Discussion > Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 24

Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - hawkeye
Time for the cars to have their summer wheels back on. I know, I know I should rush out and buy 8 Michelin Crossclimates or whatever. Mrs H's set of Michelin Energy went back on as normal. So they should, I've done it a few times before. Nuts all torqued up, locking thingy back in its proper place, drive a a few metres across the yard, brake and reverse and all seems well.

Yesterday Mrs H takes her car out and comes back shaken. A loud clang as soon as she left the drive that she felt throughout the car, something bounced along the underside and it's come back feeling 'not quite right'. It seems to have lost an inch of ride height on the nearside and inspection shows a sizeable piece of spring missing and the top bearing looks damaged.

OK a spring has broken but I'm guilty by association, having been the last person to lay a spanner on the car. Virtual pint for the most plausible explanation that puts me in the clear and doesn't imply Mrs H would take speed bumps at anything over walking pace.
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - sherlock47
Spring was already fractured, but held in place by load and luck. ( You could attribute that to her safe and gentle driving - worth brownie points). When you jacked it up the load was taken off the spring, it extended,slightly rotated and relocated the fracture. When unjacked the loaded spring held itself in an alternative position, just waiting for a minor shock to totally displace the fracture and Bang!

Can put you in the clear but will Mrs H understand the logic? A longer road test was probably advisable?
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Thu 26 Apr 18 at 11:13
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - MD
Sherlock my Son. I need you to be my Solicitor:-)
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - No FM2R
No, there is nothing.

Apologize, promise longer road tests in future.
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - Zero
Go whistle, you touched, you broke it simples
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 26 Apr 18 at 12:42
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - TheManWithNoName
Replace spring. Get garage to keep broken part. Show broken part to wifey and explain that changing tyres wouldn't have caused it.

Failing that, get her to take the car to the garage and get them to explain how its broken.
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - legacylad
Tell her to change her own wheels next time.
Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 26 Apr 18 at 13:45
>> Replace spring. Get garage to keep broken part. Show broken part to wifey and explain
>> that changing tyres wouldn't have caused it.
>>
( Wife + mechanical sympathy) = (misplaced faith)
>>
>>
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - Robin O'Reliant
>> Replace spring. Get garage to keep broken part. Show broken part to wifey and explain
>> that changing tyres wouldn't have caused it.
>>
>> Failing that, get her to take the car to the garage and get them to
>> explain how its broken.
>>
>>
You're not married, are you?

>> You're not married, are you?

Clearly. Proof and reality are ignored when it is helpful to do so.

How does it work though if you are gay and the one responsible for the cars. Is the blame still unreasonably delivered from your partner or does the fact that you're dealing with another bloke make it easier?

How do lesbians deal with the question of blame when the car breaks down?
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - tyrednemotional
>>
>> How do lesbians deal with the question of blame when the car breaks down?
>>

....why don't you Google that?........

..............on second thoughts..............maybe not.

8-O
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - Runfer D'Hills
Or indeed question how they manage to keep their front carpets so clean...
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 26 Apr 18 at 17:51
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - PeterS
>> Or indeed question how they manage to keep their front carpets so clean...
>>

That’s what cleaners are for :)
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - Runfer D'Hills
That must be an extra cost surely?
;-)
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - tyrednemotional
...only when you get taken to them.....
>> That must be an extra cost surely?
>> ;-)
>>

I’m pretty sure it’s cheaper overall :p

>>
>> How does it work though if you are gay and the one responsible for the
>> cars. Is the blame still unreasonably delivered from your partner or does the fact that
>> you're dealing with another bloke make it easier?
>>
>> How do lesbians deal with the question of blame when the car breaks down?
>>

On the off chance that’s a serious question, I can definitely state that no blame whatsoever comes my way :) In fact, quite the reverse... I can attribute blame for pretty much anything car related to my partner should I chose, and he’d be none the wiser :p There’s a, quite rightly, undisputed undertaking that because I know enough about and like cars what I say is correct :)
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - neiltoo
>>I can definitely state that no blame whatsoever comes my way>>

Golly!

The lifestyle becomes more attractive!

:p
Well, "serious" would be a strong world, but I was definitely wondering about it.

So because you know about it you can tell him that it's his fault and because he doesn't know about it then he will accept the blame?

Now you see, that's just not fair.

My wife knows naff all about cars and uses that lack of knowledge to be able to attribute anything that goes wrong directly to whatever I last did - irrespective of possibility.
>> Well, "serious" would be a strong world, but I was definitely wondering about it.
>>
>> So because you know about it you can tell him that it's his fault and
>> because he doesn't know about it then he will accept the blame?
>>
>> Now you see, that's just not fair.

I could, but I don’t :)

In our case, the lack of knowledge means acccepting that if the other know more about whatever it is the try to learn/understand if you’re interested; if not then go with it :)
>>In our case, the lack of knowledge means acccepting that if the other know more about whatever it is the try to learn/understand if you're interested; if not then go with it :)

I have always suspected that a relationship with another bloke must be far simpler and far fairer. Well, at least on this one particular matter anyway. I guess there's probably a little more to it than that.

On the other hand, a Lesbian couple must live on the edge of axe murdering the whole time.
 Citroen C3 - It wasn't my fault, honest ... - MD
This is going to get interesting.o:-)
I really didn't think we would get a thread that morphed into LGBT automotive relationship blame.
So far I can say that Zero hasn't quite grasped the essence of the thread which was to absolve me of all blame. He gets the virtual orange juice and the bird poo-covered seat at the rickety wooden table outside next to the bouncy castle.

Sherlock is right on the money.

As the b-i-l to a gay bloke who can't (won't) drive, I'm liking the way this thread is drifting. Don't want to dig myself in too deep as it's his champagne we'll be drinking come the summer.
£200 at the local indie. Spring, bearing and an £11 plastic thingy that was also wrecked. Tracking adjusted but I now need a pair of winter tyres. Good time to buy? I hope so.

Much quieter over the speed bumps now. So quiet, in fact, that I can hear what sounds like a rattle from the anti-roll bar links. Those I can manage.

Longer test run next time I swap the wheels over ...
Last edited by: hawkeye on Wed 23 May 18 at 10:10
Latest Forum Posts