Motoring Discussion > Roadside Tributes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 49

Roadside Tributes - R.P.
Roadside tributes after road fatalities now abound, What does the team think ?
 Roadside Tributes - Zero
I'm aiming not to have one.
 Roadside Tributes - tyrednemotional
You'll probably be successful........ ;-)
 Roadside Tributes - bathtub tom
How many millions of people have died on this island? If a tribute was left at the place of their demise for every one of them, I hate to think the depth of plastic flowers we'd be wading through.
I certainly wouldn't want one outside my house, might affect its value!
 Roadside Tributes - CGNorwich
I wouldnt mind if they took the cellophsne wrappers off.. Tacky,

Roadside Tributes - henry k
One of the better known ones
Marc Bolan on the B306 Qeeens Ride near Barnes Railway station.
It has been there for 40? years

Views from the road when driving past.

www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/marc-bolan-rock-shrine-marc-bolans-rock-shrine-is-the-news-photo/886746360#/marc-bolan-rock-shrine-marc-bolans-rock-shrine-is-the-memorial-to-picture-id886746360

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186338-d9872364-Reviews-Marc_Bolan_s_Rock_Shrine-London_England.html#photos;aggregationId=&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=192589362

Roadside Tributes - No FM2R
Very common here. And usually the proper little crypt with religious figures and then flowers and stuff all around it.

I wouldn't do it, I wouldn't want it, but it causes me no harm and if it helps the implementers then who am I to object.

Not everything has to be approved by everybody.
What I find odd is not the memorials left by friends and relations but those left at any well publicised fatal accident by complete strangers who somehow feel the need to join in with the grief. I find this rather mawkish and a little bit offensive,
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 29 Apr 18 at 20:01
Pointless, mawkish and a bit strange. But no, not offensive.
Offensive to me as someone not involved no, but I rather think that if I had lost somebody in tragic circumstances I would find complete strangers intruding on my grief quite offensive.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 29 Apr 18 at 20:32
>> I rather think that if I had lost somebody in tragic circumstances I would find complete strangers intruding on my grief quite offensive.

I have just one experience. My nephew was killed when he was 4, many years ago now. My sister has always valued such recognition and actions from strangers. Not my way, but it works for her.

And since I cannot imagine the pain that must be involved and she is my sister, then if it works for her, it works for me.
I’m glad it works for you both. I know it would not work for me.
 Roadside Tributes - Bromptonaut
>> I have just one experience. My nephew was killed when he was 4, many years
>> ago now. My sister has always valued such recognition and actions from strangers. Not my
>> way, but it works for her.

Pretty much agree with above.

In the vast majority of cases tributes are left by those who knew deceased. Once or twice passed sites in recent aftermath of accidents where youths have died, probably of driver's misjudgement. Tearful girls (and boys) leaving bouquets, teddies etc looked like they were classmates of the dead.

Obviously different if it's train or plane crash with nationwide publicity.
 Roadside Tributes - Haywain
"Roadside tributes after road fatalities now abound"

I find them tacky, though they can be a useful indicator of a) dodgy bits of road b) the driving standards of the locals c) the intellect of the locals.

I can't stand the cellophane, the teddies, the balloons etc; though, on the A143 near us, there is a rather tasteful reminder that a young bloke lost his life riding an R1. Every spring, a patch of daffodils emerges from the grass verge at the side of the road - nothing else, just the daffodils.
 Roadside Tributes - Robin O'Reliant
www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/inventor-unveils-all-in-one-portable-tragedy-shrine-201009083072
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sun 29 Apr 18 at 20:16
 Roadside Tributes - Bromptonaut
No particular issue provided they're either (a) maintained or (b) removed after a decent interval.

Two stick in my mind:

First is on bridge over M1 between Bugbrooke and Kislingbury. Commemorates a young woman with mental health issues who jumped off the bridge to her death. Just a single bunch of flowers regularly replaced.

Second is on Horsemarket, part of nearest thing Northampton has to an inner ring road. A set of wilted or composting flowers. Since it's well over two years since original accident - disabled pedestrian hit by car - it must have been replaced once or twice but it's no sort of tribute.
" ....... thedailymash............."

Just about sums it all up for me. Same class of behaviour as 'Alfie's army' etc
 Roadside Tributes - Zero
How do we feel about a bench.

"In Memory of Uncle Ron - he loved this place"

Tho I guess that may be a bit incongruous on the side of the A1(M)
 Roadside Tributes - Rudedog
How would you handle it if it was on your land?

House near me has a big oak tree on it's boundary with private grass verge out onto rural road, unfortunately I well known local biker ploughed into it and was killed, the tree now has regular flowers left and at one point even had a helmet filled with flowers, plus the bikers have a small meet-up on the anniversary of his death.

Always wondered how they would explain this if they decided to sell the house as it's basically in their front garden.
 Roadside Tributes - bathtub tom
>>Every spring, a patch of daffodils emerges from the grass verge at the
>> side of the road - nothing else, just the daffodils.

I know of one like that on the M1. Back in the '70s someone was killed in an accident and the family were allowed to do this. I doubt if the wombles would permit it now.
Tasteful!
 Roadside Tributes - Cliff Pope
>>, the teddies,
>>

I couldn't help laughing at one such I used to pass daily.

Added to the usual relatively tasteful tributes of flowers was a gigantic teddy bear.
Over the days and weeks the flowers became scattered, and the cellophane wrappers strewn around. The bear fell over on to its front, and a month after the event the scene looked exactly like a grizzly bear pawing through a rubbish tip.
 Roadside Tributes - Duncan
>> Roadside tributes after road fatalities now abound, What does the team think ?
>>

Council.
Off the A3 going North, the slip road to the New Malden roundabout.

preview.tinyurl.com/yba55fg5

A smaller version of a very large original collection started 2004

www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/557797.The_one_and_only_Joey_boy/
 Roadside Tributes - Pat
I can think of a lot more unpleasant or offensive things to look at in the course of travelling the highways.

They don't harm me and may well help others so where is the problem?

Pat
 Roadside Tributes - Ambo
I first saw these in Peru, where they abounded, in about 1962. They were especially prolific on the Macchu Pichu zig-zag. In a good many cases little shrines had been built as well; heaven send we don't get those.
>> Council.

?

On rural roads it is ultimately down to the whim of the individual council grass/hedge cutter operative how long the display remains. I've seen one that got trashed the day after placement - probably the tractor driver didn't even notice it and just mashed it up along with the usual litter.

Usually they lift their blades to avoid a tribute, but then it succumbs next time round.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 1 May 18 at 10:09
>> On rural roads it is ultimately down to the whim of the individual council grass/hedge
>> cutter operative how long the display remains.

'Council' is quite obviously a term which has passed you by.

It is a derogatory expression meaning - down market, tacky, tasteless. To be shunned by by people of taste and discernment. The sort of action which would be carried out by someone living in a council house.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 1 May 18 at 10:09
Are you a persons of taste and discernment then Duncan?
>>The sort of action which would be carried out by someone living in a council house.

I don't want to get into an argument about it, but I'm a bit bothered by that statement. A fair amount of my family lived or lives in council houses. A matter of circumstance rather than choice and not reflective of their character or personality.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 30 Apr 18 at 18:58
 Roadside Tributes - R.P.
Atypical of my experience as well. My first (late) wife was brought up in a Council house as well. I doubt very much whether she would have approved of roadside tributes..
 Roadside Tributes - commerdriver
>> It is a derogatory expression meaning - down market, tacky, tasteless. To be shunned by
>> by people of taste and discernment. The sort of action which would be carried out
>> by someone living in a council house.
>>
I find that remark grossly offensive. I think it says more about you than any of the millions of decent folks who live in council houses. There are good and bad people in all sections of society.

I was brought up in a Glasgow Corporation high rise flat and am ashamed of nothing in my upbringing.
 Roadside Tributes - R.P.
Quite right cd.
I apologise if I went too far and caused offence to anyone.
"I apologise if I went too far and caused offence to anyone."

I was born and brought up in a council prefab, and I wasn't offended - but then I'm not of the snowflake mentality.
 Roadside Tributes - Zero
>> I apologise if I went too far and caused offence to anyone.

I should damn well think so, you went way over the top, - that my job so watch it.

And anyway you used the wrong C word, should have been "Catholic".
>> I apologise if I went too far and caused offence to anyone.
>>

As someone who was brought up in a council house I'm not the least bit offended. Even if I thought you were wrong I would not attempt to no platform you for your views - but based on my unscientific observations over the years I suspect you are probably right.

>>
>> 'Council' is quite obviously a term which has passed you by.
>>

It has indeed, both as an expression and a sentiment.
...me too, though the original comment was obviously a bit "council"..... :-P
George Michael: Family ask fans to remove tributes

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-43974238

"In a statement on his official website, members of his family said he "would not want to disturb or change the quiet neighbourhoods he so loved".

They asked fans of the singer to pick up their tributes, which include flowers and framed pictures of the singer, by 27 May."
 Roadside Tributes - VxFan
>> George Michael: Family ask fans to remove tributes

I guess they were just 'too funky'
But for those with Faith it was probably helping to Heal The Pain.
 Roadside Tributes - Zero
I'm sure this is just a careless whisper, if true its amazing.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 2 May 18 at 20:08
 Roadside Tributes - Zero
Maybe they just want them moved to a different corner
His fans will tell you they would like them left where they are.

I think the "non-council" people who would diagree should listen without prejudice.....
>> His fans will tell you they would like them left where they are.

No doubt they'll be Praying For Time.
Both of you, get your coats....
Ooh aren't you 'A Ray Of Sunshine'
 Roadside Tributes - Roger.
>> Roadside tributes after road fatalities now abound, What does the team think ?
>> >>
Tacky, just like those at a crime scene, or outside a building in which a fatality has ocurred.
Outpourings of public "grief" at the passing of a stranger just seems, well, self obessessed - "look how empathetic I am"
I would not do it, nor would I like to be the subject of such public mawkishness. (Not likely, I hasten to say, before one of you lot does!)
Don’t worry Roger. If anything happens to you we will make sure you get a bunch of those luridly coloured chrysanthemums and a teddy bear. :-)
There's always a football shirt.

Mostly for a team the deceased has never seen outside of the TV screen and whose location he couldn't point out on the map.
Latest Forum Posts