Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 34   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 112

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 34 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 35 *****

==============================================================

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 29 Jul 19 at 10:56

Azerbaijan Grand Prix - VxFan
What a great race!

Loads of wheel to wheel action. Overtaking, accidents, and no team orders, although in hindsight Red Bull Racing have probably regretted that decision following Ricciardo crashing into the back of Verstappen's car.

And how unlucky was Bottas, having a blowout just before the end of the race.

Azerbaijan Grand Prix - smokie
Yup, enjoyed that one, despite having to watch it (abroad) on a sub standard stream with no rewind facility.

Bottas was so unlucky. He deserves one soon. The Red Bull incident was a shame for the team.

Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Manatee
A Red Bull incident was predictable after the previous 38 laps, and hilarious. Full credit also to Grosjean for his comic contribution.

Having no team orders is one thing, but Ricciardo was clearly faster than Verstappen on Sunday and should have been sent on his way.

It's perverse that everybody says what a great race it was every time it's randomised by safety cars and punctures.

New rules and new wings for 2019 - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/43959302
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 1 May 18 at 12:52

Monaco Grand Prix - Duncan
Oh! Is it over?

Who won?

I must have fallen asleep for some reason.

Monaco Grand Prix - Robin O'Reliant
It makes dominoes look thrilling.

Monaco Grand Prix - Manatee
>> It makes dominoes look thrilling.
>>

It certainly did. Ricciardo was 2 seconds a lap down for most of it and still won. A great performance from his point of view but what a farce.

The tyres are a bad joke. It wouldn't happen if there were two suppliers with the objective of providing the optimum compound.

Hamilton said it was the most boring race of his career. I agree.

Monaco Grand Prix - smokie
Monaco has always been about the glitz and glamour, which it had yesterday in abundance. It's never been a great race track.

I don't get why people keep watching it just to criticise.

Monaco Grand Prix - Robin O'Reliant
We tune in hoping to see a good race and if we don't we are free to criticise, just as we would if it was a boring football match.

Monaco Grand Prix - smokie
Yeah, of course people are free to criticise but I don't watch footy because I think it's nearly always boring and I'd sooner not risk 90+ minutes finding out whether I was right! :-)

I don't think F1 will really change much. All the cars and drivers and teams are right on the cutting edge, and by and large, due to those factors, plus the tracks and technology, F1 does not lend itself to anything other than a procession.

In the old days there used to be a fair sprinkle of crashes or spectacular mechanical failures to spice things up. But once in a while there is a stunning piece of driving which can make it all (nearly) worthwhile.

There is other racing out there which is more exciting but as F1 does still have a massive following it's that which gets the airplay.

Monaco Grand Prix - No FM2R
I'm getting a little tired of Hamilton. He does seem to get very whiney when anything is not done his way.

Most of the drivers'/teams' argument seems to stem from the fact that Ricciardo / Red Bull came out on top. I'm sure had Hamilton or Alonso, to name just two, won the race they would have been quiet about the injustice of it all.

Monaco Grand Prix - rtj70
With only one tyre supplier I think they did their best to teams race and use tyres... they brought the softest they could.... and then they drove slow enough to make the hardest of them last the rest of the race.

Maybe they should have had only the two softest compounds so they had no choice but to stop more than once.

Monaco though is often a parade of cars apart from at the start when there can often be accidents and safety cars.

Monaco Grand Prix - Lygonos
My brother put it most succinctly on Facebook:

"The Monaco Grand Prix is basically the worst people in the world watching the worst 'sport' in the world."

Monaco Grand Prix - Zero
Purely by chance and for various reasons I was sat in front of a TV for a live GP, first time thats happened for ages. I can see now why its been ages. How the hell can a car that's seriously down on power back an entire field up behind it.,

We've seen overtaking on this track in years gone by - risks taken. It's not easy but it's possible.

But the pack decided to follow the leader - one tyre stop. Go racing and you'd need another change and end up further back.

Monaco is a poor race for spectators of the sport IMO.

Monaco Grand Prix - Duncan
Did I see Jeremy Thorpe in the pit lane?

>> Did I see Jeremy Thorpe in the pit lane?

You mean Hugh Grant then? Because he was there a a Ferrari guest.

Monaco Grand Prix - Bromptonaut
>> >> Did I see Jeremy Thorpe in the pit lane?
>>
>> You mean Hugh Grant then? Because he was there a a Ferrari guest.

He does as good act as Thorpe though not as convincing as the chap playing Norman Jossife/Scott.

Monaco Grand Prix - Roger.
>> Did I see Jeremy Thorpe in the pit lane?
>>
Nah, that was Hugh Grant.....
Oops - posts crosssed. Actually Luvvie Grant looks remarkably like Thorpe, in the current TV series.
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 28 May 18 at 22:45

Red Bull to switch from Renault to Honda from 2019 - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44530950

Red Bull to switch from Renault to Honda from 2019 - VxFan
Blimey! That's a huge gamble, IMHO.

Red Bull to switch from Renault to Honda from 2019 - Old Navy
If they use my 1.5 Jazz engine at least it will be reliable!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 19 Jun 18 at 13:09

Red Bull to switch from Renault to Honda from 2019 - VxFan
>> If they use my 1.5 Jazz engine at least it will be reliable!

But they'll still be completing the first race of the season when everyone else has completed all the rest.

Red Bull to switch from Renault to Honda from 2019 - Old Navy
I didn't mention winning, just finishing sometime this year if they really go for it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 19 Jun 18 at 13:23

VW break Pikes Peak record - Rudedog
I guess this is motorsport.

VW have just broken the Pikes Peak record with a time of 7.57 using a racing EV car to get past the previous petrol cars.

Porsche smash Nurburgring lap record - Rudedog
Porsche have been building up to this for sometime, today they lapped the ring in 5:19.456 breaking the long-standing record of 6:11 (Porsche 956) using their 919 EVO Hybrid racing car.

Previously they used the same car to lap Spa faster than last years F1 pole time.

Many say this car can go even faster if the track conditions improve.

Porsche smash Nurburgring lap record - smokie
That's a ridiculous time. I've driven the Ring a few times (only in an ordinary car) and it's very long and quite twisty.

Though I'm sure they'll have had the track to themselves, unlike the days I've done it, when you get all sorts on there, which is quite scary at times.

Silverstone - smokie
I doubt many watched it here but that was a good race with plenty of "action". I won't mention the outcome yet in case some will be watching on catch up later - if you have it recorded, it's worth a watch.

Silverstone is a great track especially on a nice sunny day...

Silverstone - Robin O'Reliant
I dipped in during an ad break in the Tour de France coverage in time to see a text bar on the screen saying the attendance was 340,000. That can't be right, surely?

Silverstone - Bromptonaut
Capacity is about 150k so I guess that figure is over whole weekend.

One of the Park and Rides is by the Cobblers' ground at Sixfields and spectators were arriving in droves when I went into work at 08:30 on Friday. The parking Marshall tried to direct me onto the car park and looked slightly perplexed when I took the other route down Edgar Mobbs* Way.

*Mobbs was one of Northampton's two great sporting heroes who died in WW1. Mobbs was a rugby player, Captain of Northampton RFC. Other is Walter Tull who played footie for the Cobblers, a very early black professional footballer and one of the first black officers in the British Army.

Silverstone - Robin O'Reliant
Just seen on the Telegraph website, it was 140,000 today.

Silverstone - Duncan
>> I won't mention the outcome yet in case some will be watching on catch
>> up later -

If you didn't know the result and didn't want to know, would it be a short-sighted move to click on a thread called "Silverstone"?

Just asking, like.
 Silverstone - smokie
Yes maybe, but in the past I've found out the result "accidentally" by, without thinking, going to the BBC news site (not the Sport or F1 bit) and it's made the front page of World News.

Silverstone - Bobby
well i watched the last 7 laps. Was quite interesting.

Silverstone - VxFan
>> Silverstone is a great track especially on a nice sunny day...

Probably 15 years ago, or even further back, Top Gear held a Live event there for a couple of years.

It was a very hot day when I went. I didn't appreciate how hot it actually was and ended up getting very sunburnt. Had a splitting head ache for over 3 days afterwards. There was quite a breeze, and it masked how hot it really was.

Silverstone - Zero
>> >> Silverstone is a great track especially on a nice sunny day...

Not for spectators on site, too big, too flat. Brands is much better, you can see large chunks of the track at once. More prangs at Brands too, Paddock Hill bend is a real challenge at speed with its falling away adverse camber.

Its a pity it didn't get developed into the permanent home for the British GP
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 9 Jul 18 at 09:14

Lewis Hamilton Having a Bad Day - Driver
www.thesun.co.uk/sport/motorsport/6833387/german-gp-lewis-hamilton-pushing-car-mercedes-breaks-down-qualifying/

Been, there, done that, but mine was a 10 year old 1977 Fiesta not a for multi million pound F1 car!

If they can get it going he will be 14th on the grid. Hope he does manage to start and pulls off some of his magic and heads up to a podium finish (I know it will be difficult but we can hope).

Lewis Hamilton Having a Bad Day - Bobby
Paid £80m for a two year deal?
That’s stupid money.
Even a footballer would then be able to be sold on to recoup some of the spend by the club.

Spoiler Alert.... - Driver
And he has just gone and won it!

From 14th on the grid!

Clearly worth £80m to Mercedes!

Spoiler Alert.... - rtj70
He was always going to get into the points if he finished. I thought the rain started too late and he'd missed the chance of exploiting a late tyre change.... He just got away with it with Vettel crashing out so easily.

And then the heavens opened - if that had happened say 15 minutes earlier then lots would have slipped off the circuit and everyone else would have needed full wets.

This weekend luck was on his side.

Spoiler Alert.... - VxFan
>> This weekend luck was on his side.

As well as having a compliant team mate, who unlike Raikkonen didn't get into a 10 minute discussion with his team as to what they wanted him to do.

Spoiler Alert.... - Old Navy
Heaven forbid you should credit him with a little skill. The first F1 race worth watching in a long time.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 23 Jul 18 at 07:12

Spoiler Alert.... - martin aston
I think both Vettel and Hamilton have demonstrated multiple times that they are quicker drivers than their team mates. Getting past is however not just a matter of speed and carries a fair amount of risk so I think it makes sense to give team orders.

Having said that I see Hamilton has just agreed a huge two year deal and given how co-operative Bottas was, I do wonder if Hamilton now has a contractual number one driver status?
Last edited by: martin aston on Mon 23 Jul 18 at 08:39

Spoiler Alert.... - PR
He will have number 1 status, always will have.

Read Mark Webbers biography, its a very good read. In it he pointed out that whilst at RedBull they always criticized other teams for having team orders, whilst practising the very same themselves. They all do it. Just some hypocritically criticize others for doing so.
Last edited by: PR on Mon 23 Jul 18 at 09:51

Ferrari F1 / FIAT / Chrysler boss dies. - Old Navy

news.sky.com/story/former-fiat-boss-sergio-marchionne-dies-from-complications-after-surgery-11448179

Ferrari F1 / FIAT / Chrysler boss dies. - tyrednemotional
...a shame, really.......I quite liked his spaghetti western soundtracks.......

Drivers changing team. - henry k
Daniel Ricciardo to Renault.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45056366

Drivers changing team. - Manatee
I wonder the reason for Ricciardo moving is that Red Bull wouldn't pay him as much as Verstappen.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 3 Aug 18 at 17:18

Drivers changing team. - henry k
Alonso is retiring from F1 this year

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45188028

Drivers changing team. - VxFan
That's a shame, but I can hardly blame him.

Gonna miss his sarcastic, yet witty radio conversations.

Alonso - PR
Its sad he is leaving, but very telling that a top line team currently has a vacancy and is not interested. He has made some very bad career choices. As much as I dislike HAmilton he has done the opposite, took a risk moving to Merc and is bearing the fruit of being in the best car for several years.

Alonso - smokie
Shame for Alonso but he's had a good run and was clearly frustrated that the team seemed to be going nowhere. He proved at Le Mans that he can still drive, given a decent set of wheels...

Regarding Hamilton, while he may have one of the best cars he is also one of the best drivers. His performances, especially when battling through the field a couple of times this year when his car (or driving) wasn't so good in practice, have been astounding.

Alonso - PR
Agreed he is up there with the best.

The making up positions of any Ferrari / Merc driver this year when out of position has like taking candy from babies, given the advantage they have over the field. Seb, Kimi and even Bottas have made up handfuls of positions in only a few laps.

And Lauda has a lung transplant - Manatee
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45053384

Kimi Raikkonen swap with Sauber - henry k
Kimi Raikkonen will leave Ferrari at the end of this season and rejoin Sauber.

The 38-year-old Finn will be replaced at Ferrari by 20-year-old Monaco-born
Sauber driver Charles Leclerc,

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45477134

Kimi Raikkonen swap with Sauber - PR
Its a gamble, for Ferrari and Kimi

The Sauber is improving all the time, so maybe thats why he's not retiring

As for Ferrari, there will be immense pressure on Leclerc. Though F1 insiders think he's the real deal..

Kimi Raikkonen swap with Sauber - BiggerBadderDave
"there will be immense pressure on Leclerc"

Great grandson of this guy.

tinyurl.com/m99e2mk

Kimi Raikkonen swap with Sauber - PR
Haha, I looked at that expecting some 70s swashbuckling GP star!

Kimi Raikkonen swap with Sauber - Zero
>> "there will be immense pressure on Leclerc"
>>
>> Great grandson of this guy.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/m99e2mk

His son started a corner shop

www.ucima.it/uc-en/press-area/news/e-leclerc-announces-opening-of-200-organic-stores/

Kimi Raikkonen swap with Sauber - VxFan
>> Kimi Raikkonen will leave Ferrari at the end of this season and rejoin Sauber.

Hmmm! I bet he had a mumble about that ;)

Kimi Raikkonen swap with Sauber - smokie
Coulthard was saying before the last race how chatty Kimi had been. But he did also point out that Kimi had a book just coming out.

2019, CH 4 to show races - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45494135

The British Grand Prix will be shown live on both Channel 4 and Sky in 2019, as part of a new partnership between the broadcasters.

Channel 4, which is free to air, has also secured highlights of all races, while Sky will carry every race live on its subscription-only F1 channel.

2019, CH 4 to show races - rtj70
They have highlights to the races on Channel 4 now and show half of them live. Presumably we're losing live F1 races on Channel 4 apart from the British GP?

2019, CH 4 to show races - henry k
>> Presumably we're losing live F1 races on Channel 4 apart from the British GP?
>>
Yes but it is an improvement on the original situation

www.autosport.com/f1/news/123442/c4-to-mull-over-f1-options-from-2019

Channel 4 will take stock of Sky's announcement regarding its exclusive new Formula 1 deal before deciding whether to pursue a highlights option from 2019.

The satellite broadcaster dropped a bombshell on F1 fans in the United Kingdom by announcing on Wednesday it had signed a six-year contract with Formula One Management to screen all races live and exclusive from 2019.

The only race excluded from the deal is the British Grand Prix, which will still be shown free to air, either via Sky through one of its FTA channels or a terrestrial broadcaster such as the BBC, ITV or C4.

2019, CH 4 to show races - VxFan
>> Presumably we're losing live F1 races on Channel 4 apart from the British GP?

There is a God.

When Channel 4 show live races, they don't half drag things out and make them very long winded. I imagine Sky is the same, if not worse?

Personally, I much prefer a highlighted show, providing I can avoid any news broadcasts of who won the race.

2019, CH 4 to show races - rtj70
I always self-edit F1 races. Some more interesting than others. It's not been the same since they had such reliable cars.

I have Sky Sport so have the F1 channel but prefer the C4 coverage. Downside to the highlight programmes is they are much later in the day.

2019, CH 4 to show races - PR
Yes its a pretty poor show for the UK, and viewing figures will suffer as a result.

Coupled to that, most of the rest of the world is getting F1's own pay streaming service for a fairly low price ($9 - $12 per month I have read, depending on market). The UK is excluded from this of course since Sky signed a long term exlusive live rights deal before Liberty took over...

2019, CH 4 to show races - Zero
Not sure anyone cares any more, the audience numbers in th UK are going down the toilet

2021 car concepts - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45522628

Now recruiting some big guys for wheel changing duties ?

USA GP - henry k
Practice 3 live 1755 on More 4

Just fill in while it rains.
Pirelli have brought no rain tyres else the cars would be out on the circuit.

Quite a lot of fans out in their rain gear just waiting for some action.
F1 Circus ?

Seems like it to me :-(

I thought the American owners were going to do wonders?
I wonder what Benie thinks about it.

USA GP - henry k
Meanwhile I will watch the coverage of last weeks GP.
It was an interesting gathering.

todaymobile.info/mobile-video/YFldoDfQ93Q/mike-hawthorn-farnham-tribute-2018

USA GP - VxFan
A well deserved win for Kimi.

On the whole a good race, with the pack at the front all very close together, and in the closing laps it was anyone's guess who was going to come 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

And so the battle for world champion continues into the next race.

Brazilian GP - Manatee
Best bit was when Ocon, well down the order, decided to unlap himself by passing Verstappen who was in the lead.

Verstappen played hardball, there was a collision and Verstappen lost first place to Hamilton. Verstappen was predictably furious (that boy has a wide narcissistic streak IMO) and went to shove Ocon around after the race.

Given that Ocon was fast on new tyres, and Verstappen was looking after his, my support goes to Ocon.

Verstappen declaimed the injustice to Hamilton afterwards who just pointed out that (a) Ocon can unlap himself if he wants, and (b) he had nothing to lose unlike Verstappen.

Jolyon Palmer got it wrong IMO by lambasting Ocon. Stewards gave Ocon a 10 second drive through, Verstappen got 2 days community service for fighting!

Brazilian GP - smokie
it was one of the better races of the season in my opinion. Plenty of overtaking, a bit of tactics and some team orders, as well as a little controversy. I guess the pressure was off.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 12 Nov 18 at 16:05

Brazilian GP - legacylad
Fighting? I thought he’d just given him a bit of a shove. Pussy.

Brazilian GP - henry k
Christian Horner defends Red Bull driver after push

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46184701

Fernando Alonso - henry k
Fernando Alonso: Lewis Hamilton, Ron Dennis & where it started to go wrong at McLaren in 2007

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46225204

Alonso's story will be published in a series of episodes this week,

This opening part is about the first serious flashpoint in a year in which two of the all-time great F1 drivers went head-to-head in the same team, and how their team boss' desire to control the situation only made it worse.

2019 drivers line up - No FM2R
Saw this on the BBC, thought some might be interested...

F1 next season;

Mercedes - Lewis Hamilton (GB) & Valtteri Bottas (Fin)
Ferrari - Sebastian Vettel (Ger) & Charles Leclerc (Mon)
Red Bull - Max Verstappen (Ned) & Pierre Gasly (Fra)
Renault - Daniel Ricciardo (Aus) & Nico Hulkenberg (Ger)
Haas - Kevin Magnussen (Den) & Romain Grosjean (Fra)
McLaren - Carlos Sainz (Spa) & Lando Norris (GB)
Force India - Sergio Perez (Mex) & Lance Stroll (Can)
Sauber - Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) & Antonio Giovinazzi (Ita)
Toro Rosso - Daniil Kvyat (Rus) & Alexander Albon (Tha)
Williams - Robert Kubica (Pol) & George Russell (GB)
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 30 Nov 18 at 16:43

2019 drivers line up - PR
There are some interesting line ups in the top teams next year.

I dont think Vettel is in an enviable position (apart from being an F1 Ferrari driver haha). If he beats Leclerc everyone will say its easy as he is a rookie, however if Leclerc beats him (which I think is a distinct possibility), then people will say he is finished.

I can't see Gasly posing much threat to Max, and he wont be allowed to the way REd Bull operate, likewise Bottas at Merc.

Christian Horner is not happy - henry k
....interview with Christian Horner: Formula One's new owners Liberty Media must grab bull by the horns,...

www.cityam.com/260134/exclusive-interview-christian-horner-formula-ones-new

2019 TV coverage - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47542802

With this latest much more restricted viewing will many UK fans sign off ?
I think I will rather than dodge TV until the replay airs

2019 TV coverage - Zero
Matters not, no-one cares about it any more

2019 TV coverage - Duncan
>> www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47542802

"grands prix"?

Grand Prixs, surely?

2019 TV coverage - Zero
Nope Grands prix is correct.

2019 TV coverage - Lygonos
>>Grand Prixs, surely?

>>Nope Grands prix is correct.

Both wrong apparently....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW86gmuaQ0E

2019 TV coverage - VxFan
>> I think I will rather than dodge TV until the replay airs

Me too, in fact I generally do this even with the live races. I'd sooner watch the highlights anyway as the live races are too long winded and boring. C4 (an no doubt Sky and others) milk it for all it's worth with live races.

I see Sky are offering me F1 for £2 extra a month on my current Sky package. They can go whistle. I already give them far too much for loads and loads of repeat programmes.

Charlie Whiting has left the grid - smokie
I see race director Charlie Whiting, who usually got at least one mention in each show and has been in the sport for many years, and I believe was instrumental in many of the safety changes over the years, has died in Melbourne.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47564762

Ted Kravitz - maltrap
Does anyone know what Sky F1 are playing at by not showing Ted Kravitz?
I thought his Notebook & general contribution were excellent.
F1 can often be processional & not very exciting, Ted's input was always interesting.
If anyone needs "moving over" they should start with Damon Hill & Johnny Herbert! They may be knowledgeable but they lack personality, Ted doesn't.

Bring Back Ted.

An old interview with James Hunt - No FM2R
Apropos of not much, I enjoyed this...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjnNn-TXXcw

An old interview with James Hunt - BiggerBadderDave
Engaging 15 minutes with James Hunt. "Tangled wheels". What a wonderful way to say crashed.

I was 9 at the time and that's all we talked about in the play ground, well, mostly. James Hunt. Nikki Lauda, obviously.

And Elton John, unfortunately.

Niki Lauda - RIP - VxFan
Three-time Formula 1 world champion Niki Lauda has died at the age of 70.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48345660

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46781936 (obituary)

Niki Lauda - RIP - Zero
Looks like that big accident got him in the end

Niki Lauda - RIP - Bromptonaut
>> Looks like that big accident got him in the end

That was the conclusion of radio commentary too. Lung transplant was necessitated by long term damage from smoke inhalation.

Niki Lauda - RIP - smokie
He did pretty well considering how close to death he'd already been. Nice bloke, as far as I know.

Niki Lauda - RIP - zippy
To come back from an accident like that in a matter of weeks and get behind the wheel again and enjoy life to the full!

What a Man!

Last edited by: zippy on Tue 21 May 19 at 20:35

Monaco - henry k
Monaco GP: Putting Lewis Hamilton's 'miracle' in perspective
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48428176

Monaco - Manatee
Not the first time someone has won at Monaco by being a rolling road block for 40 laps. No criticism of Hamilton, he did what was required but it wasn't a race.

Farcical really. Ricciardo did it to Vettel last year when Ricciardo was 160bhp down because of an electrical energy problem. Senna kept Mansell behind despite Mansell's car being 5 seconds per lap faster.

Monaco - Zero
Monaco is not a race, never has been really. Its an event, a social event for all those who pay for F1.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 28 May 19 at 13:34

N24hr starts today - Rudedog
Following on from the Le Mans thread it's the Nurburgring 24 hrs today.

Unlikely the WEC you can watch it streaming live on YouTube for 24 hours if you can handle it!

N24hr starts today - VxFan
>> Nurburgring 24 hrs

How not to close your bonnet during a race.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vqCJNd7UVg

F1 Drivers criticise rules - Robin O'Reliant
When even the drivers are getting fed up with it, you know you've got problems -

www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-1/2019/06/24/see-mess-lewis-hamilton-criticises-f1-chiefs-making-races-boring/
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 25 Jun 19 at 02:10

New driver lineup at Ferrari - Kevin
New driver lineup for Ferrari at Silverstone?

tinyurl.com/yy82mnbm

Silverstone - smokie
Well that was a good race. I'll not put any spoilers in at the moment. Suffice to say it's Good News that the contract for them to host a UK Grand Prix has been renewed for another 5 years!!

Silverstone - Bromptonaut
>> Well that was a good race. I'll not put any spoilers in at the moment.
>> Suffice to say it's Good News that the contract for them to host a UK
>> Grand Prix has been renewed for another 5 years!!

Certainly good for the local economy!!

Silverstone - VxFan
Haven't watched it yet. My Sky HD box decided not to record any coverage today, despite series links being set up and it not missing an F1 recording from Channel 4 previously this year so far.

Can't even find it on catch-up TV either (4 on demand). Will have to wait for the highlights being shown later tonight. Ironically that has been put in the scheduled planner, whereas everything else F1 related from today hasn't been!!

Silverstone - bathtub tom
I had that with my Humax PVR. It didn't pick up yesterday's qualifying and today's race wasn't set to record until I intervened.
I wondered if it was something to do with it being shown live.

Silverstone - No FM2R
I thought Sky had catchup on Sky Sports now?? "Sky Go" is it?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 14 Jul 19 at 20:50

Silverstone - VxFan
>> I thought Sky had catchup on Sky Sports now?? "Sky Go" is it?

I couldn't find it anywhere on Sky earlier. Every search defaulted to the dedicated Sky F1 channel.

I eventually found it on Channel 4's App "All 4". Very slow to upload it to the interweb though, whether through their own App, or anything Sky had to offer. Not sure if it's because Sky have the monopoly on F1 this year, or all of Channel 4 programmes in general are slow to end up online.

Silverstone - Manatee
>> Haven't watched it yet. My Sky HD box decided not to record any coverage today,
>> despite series links being set up and it not missing an F1 recording from Channel
>> 4 previously this year so far.
>>
>> Can't even find it on catch-up TV either (4 on demand). Will have to wait
>> for the highlights being shown later tonight. Ironically that has been put in the scheduled
>> planner, whereas everything else F1 related from today hasn't been!!

It's on the "All 4" app if you have a smart TV, which is how I watched it as I forgot to record it too (or the PVR did).

It's also on t'internet here

www.channel4.com/programmes/catchup/2019/07/14/c4

Silverstone - Duncan

>> It's on the "All 4" app if you have a smart TV, which is how
>> I watched it as I forgot to record it too (or the PVR did).
>>
>> It's also on t'internet here
>>
>> www.channel4.com/programmes/catchup/2019/07/14/c4
>>
>>

I am out of my depth here, but I used a pair of powerline adapters to connect my main telly in the drawing room on the ground floor to the PC in the study upstairs. This gave me Catchup and all the apps, and other stuff.

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 34 - No FM2R
PlanetF1.com
Jeremy Clarkson: F*** Ferrari and f*** Mercedes
Date published: July 22 2019

Jeremy Clarkson: F*** Ferrari and f*** Mercedes

Former Top Gear presenter and F1 fan Jeremy Clarkson has launched a scathing attack on F1, saying “f***” Ferrari and Mercedes for ruining the racing.

Speaking on Youtube channel Drivetribe, Clarkson pointed at a pot plant, saying: “I’d far rather watch these grow than watch a Formula 1 race – and I love F1 motor racing.”

His solution?

“Number 1 get rid of the stewards, dangerous driving is what fans want so if someone does dangerous driving I’d give them an extra five championship points.

“The cars have to be stronger, they have to be able to withstand wheel-to-wheel action without bits of front wings coming off.

“And number three, the governing body needs to look at what cricket did. They had a five-day boring sport and they turned it what we saw in the final of the World Cup – super overs and crowds chanting.

“I wasn’t watching, I was watching the Federer-Djokovic final and meanwhile there was Lewis Hamilton ‘ah I’ll just wait for a pit stop to come in and I’ll overtake Bottas that way’.

“F*** off, all of you f*** off.

“I want to see [Gilles] Villeneuve and [Rene] Arnoux wheel-to-wheel last lap of the French Grand Prix and if Ferrari don’t like that they can f*** off.

“In fact Mercedes can f*** off. They can all f*** off.

“Ferrari saying, ‘oh well we have marketing strategies’ and Mercedes saying…. oh f*** off the lot of you.

“Let’s turn it into a proper sport again and not some health and safety exercise.”
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 22 Jul 19 at 17:10

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 34 - commerdriver
He's the sort of moron who would like iF1 to go back to the eras we grew up in, the 60s and 70s when there were plenty of thrills and spills and drivers dies in their dozens, which we have thankfully left far behind.

Latest Forum Posts