Motoring Discussion > BMW M3 E92 E93 - How long does the BMW 3 year warranty last?
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 8

BMW M3 E92 E93 - How long does the BMW 3 year warranty last? - Falkirk Bairn
Car is 2.5 years old & bought with 2,000 mls on clock from Lancashire BMW dealer.

Youngest son has had it 27 mths & apart from a few niggles no issues. Niggle this week was computer showing low pressure in tyre (4 new tyres 2 weeks back) - faulty valve replaced foc.
As part of the warranty job they do a "free inspection"

This turns up a problem with the back box (performance exhaust system). Video shows junction of weld & box+pipe with a minor leak.

"We can fit a new one £1500 for part + fitting + brackets"

Son - Surely warranty!
Garage -eh NO - 3 yr warranty on car but exhaust 2yrs
Garage -We cannot do a warranty claim as it is 30 mths old & we checked the build - it was not factory installed, so you are on your own.
Son - Gets copy of original invoice for car being delivered to the Lancs BMW Dealer MD - fitted @ BMW Franchise, therefore a part on car delivery.
Garage - Still out of warranty but we can ask BMW UK for goodwill
Son - I am a Chartered Engineer but not corrosion engineer. However the chap at the next desk to me is - from what he can see it is not corrosion BUT is a welding/heat treatment failure & we can come along & inspect it to ensure it is a manufacturing fault not wear & tear.
Garage - no need for that we will chase BMW but it is Bank Holiday - it will be Tuesday.....

The story continues
 BMW M3 E92 E93 - How long does the BMW 3 year warranty last? - Lygonos
Pretty sure the Honda exhaust warranty is 8 years.

The FRV is 8.5yrs and 117k miles old and there is trvial surface scabbing on the system.

This compares to backboxes needing replaced on my 2000reg Civic every 18-24 mths, albeit only 70 quid a pop.
>>my 2000reg Civic every 18-24 mths, albeit only 70 quid a pop.

Same as my 2000 Civic - owned 6 years - 1 under warranty & 2 bought in 93K
Unipart exhausts - the back box was extremely fragile.

Current CRV is coming up to 6 years & zero repairs (other than a new battery, tyres, wipers & servicing) - no repairs under warranty or paid for.
 BMW M3 E92 E93 - How long does the BMW 3 year warranty last? - Stuartli
As an aside, the exhaust system on my VW Jetta Sports is 11 years old and still going strong. MOT later this month will prove a guide as to its overall condition.
 BMW M3 E92 E93 - How long does the BMW 3 year warranty last? - DP
I have never heard of manufacturer's warranty periods excluding certain components. My old S60 had its original exhaust (and battery) on it at 14 years old.

I like modern BMWs, but they are very cheaply built in places.
 BMW M3 E92 E93 - How long does the BMW 3 year warranty last? - CGNorwich
Surely they all do. Tyres, brake pads, clutch etc. Anything regarded as fair wear and tear.
 BMW M3 E92 E93 - How long does the BMW 3 year warranty last? - tyrednemotional
>> I have never heard of manufacturer's warranty periods excluding certain components.

AIUI, the issue is that the vehicle didn't leave the factory with that exhaust.

I would then conjecture from the OP that the original (3-month) owner of the car had a "performance exhaust" fitted, apparently before taking delivery.

If this was a BMW part fitted by a BMW dealer after purchase, then a 2-year warranty would have been offered.

The debate seems to be around the matter of whether a non-factory-original part, dealer-fitted before first delivery, should have the warranty offered with the new car (minimum 3 years), or the warranty offered with an aftermarket (though BMW) part, which would nominally be 2 years.

It could keep lawyers in business ;-)
Problem resolved after 2 weeks - the exhaust will be replaced foc.

How did they manage to take 2 weeks?
1) Checking for full service history
2) Checking if there was an insurance claims history
3) Checking & asking for full report on underside of car in case it had gone off road
4) Report of car condition for signs of neglect etc etc

The car is immaculate bar a stone chip.

Told to drop off car on Thursday past & they would fit the new exhaust.
They ordered the wrong exhaust - it will now due to arrive Monday & fitted Tuesday.

You spend a fortune on a car & they quibble over a warranty claim - leaves a bad taste in the mouth - not the first time & I am sure there will be more warranty issues for others as BMW tries to claw back some of the cost of 400,000 recall jobs they will be paying for - £40million?

A few years back I know of more than one person who had a torrid time with warranty work from Peugeot - the garage put in the job for approval - only when the solicitor's letter arrived on the dealer's desk did Peugeot HQ relent & approve the gearbox repair.
 BMW M3 E92 E93 - How long does the BMW 3 year warranty last? - Stuartli
>> As an aside, the exhaust system on my VW Jetta Sports is 11 years old and still going strong. MOT later this month will prove a guide as to its overall condition.>>

Just for interest, my Jetta's exhaust was reported as still being in good condition and with quite some life left in it yet....:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 24 May 18 at 00:54
Latest Forum Posts