Motoring Discussion > How Accidents Happen Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 7

How Accidents Happen - Bromptonaut
Or in this case just get missed....

We were down in New Forest with caravan for BH weekend.

Left site C&MH club Centenary Site at Holmsley around 14:00 this afternoon, destination home. Leaving M3 for A34 got messages of long delays to S of Newbury. Contemplated diversions via A303 and decided to go east that way to rejoin M3 and consider options thereafter.

Approaching A303 and briefly distracted by signage for 303 west v east when Mrs B shouts in alarm; minibus ahead suddenly stopped. Slammed all on and felt ABS and possibly EBS operate. Fortunately caravan stayed behind car and we stopped well clear.

A second or so's inattention.......

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 8 May 18 at 22:27
 How Accidents Happen - R.P.
Easily done. I did it once in the T5 - the semi autonomous braking accompanied by a massive red light intervened...
 How Accidents Happen - bathtub tom
Saw smoke off the caravans tyres on the A5 once (before the days of ABS) when a car pulled out. Fortunately it pulled away, smartly.
 How Accidents Happen - Shiny
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H-iUvmNq8s
Here is a time where I looked to the side just as the cars in front stopped at a green traffic light. When I looked forward, they had stopped. Luckily car stopped in little more than a length. Live and learn.
 How Accidents Happen - Manatee
It's inevitable it will happen occasionally because we do look at signs, in the mirror etc. If the driver in front chooses that moment to brake unexpectedly (e.g for a spontaneous right turn as someone did ahead of me on Monday), then following too closely risks being caught out.

Keeping a decent gap pays dividends.

I continue to be baffled by how closely some people follow, especially behind lorries that they can't even see around. This is also especially irritating to those behind because they, and the lorry, are then very difficult or impossible to overtake.
 How Accidents Happen - Bobby
Interesting Shiny that your instinct was to swerve where there wasn't a space to swerve to.
Reality is if contact, would probably have been less damage if hitting straight on yet reflex was to swerve!
 How Accidents Happen - Cliff Pope
I'd have said arguably there was perhaps a space. Also your instinct might have registered that although the car ahead was braking, it was still moving so the gap might possibly have been widening in the last second if the car to the right had already stopped?

Perhaps our instincts are in general correct, developed over millions of years - that a glancing blow is usually better than a head-on slam. A new wing versus a complete crumple?
 How Accidents Happen - Shiny
>> Interesting Shiny that your instinct was to swerve where there wasn't a space to swerve

Wasn't much space but maybe a 1-2 metres more in the gap to the right of the Polo.
I only swerved at the last moment when I though collision was inevitable and enough to avoid the blue car if it didn't stop in time but it did.
They say you are still going 15mph in the last metre, so an extra metre is the difference between quite a bit of damage and not touching in these scenarios.
Just reminds us all to keep our distance and don't take your eye off the road no matter how hot she looks.
Latest Forum Posts