Motoring Discussion > What a way to treat a car. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 17

What a way to treat a car. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-44044881
 What a way to treat a car. - RichardW
Currently un-MOTd having failed its last attempt in 2017. Been failed a couple of times for rust, so it probably needs a body off resto. That'll cost a few pennies....!
 What a way to treat a car. - Cliff Pope
www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Currently MOT'd until June 2018.
It has never failed on rust, but received advisories at the last MOT
It has had numerous failure faults, all I would say caused by lack of use - seals failing, oil leaking.

Unless it is kept up on blocks I'd have thought the tyres would have flat spots. I wonder how old they are?

It would be MOT-exempt from 20 May, unless perhaps its use means it counts as used commercially.
 What a way to treat a car. - Duncan
I can't see how they got all the work done in 2017 - on which it failed, plus the advisories - three MOTs, insure it, and drive it to the test centre three times for £590?

Reason(s) for failure
Service brake: efficiency below requirements (3.7.B.7)
Nearside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)
Nearside Stop lamp has less than 50% of the light sources illuminating (1.2.1b)
Offside Stop lamp has less than 50% of the light sources illuminating (1.2.1b)
Nearside Direction indicator adversely affected by the operation of another lamp (1.4.A.2h)
Nearside front brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.5a)
Offside front brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.5a)
Exhaust engine idle speed too high (7.3.A.2a)

Advisory notice item(s)
Nearside Rear chassis rusted and holed
Nearside Rear body rusted and holed.

I think I will say "It's a lie"!
Last edited by: Duncan on Wed 9 May 18 at 14:30
 What a way to treat a car. - Bill Payer
>> I think I will say "It's a lie"!
>>

That list of faults could possibly all be fixed without parts so perhaps repairs were done in-house and, 'due to an administrative oversight' they didn't account for the cost. :)
>> >> I think I will say "It's a lie"!
>> >>
>>
>> That list of faults could possibly all be fixed without parts so perhaps repairs were
>> done in-house and, 'due to an administrative oversight' they didn't account for the cost. :)

They fixed the rust holes in the body and the rust holes in the chassis (2017 advisories) plus the failures etc, etc for - what was it £590?

No wonder Welsh politics are in such a state!
 What a way to treat a car. - R.P.
Sell the horrible thing. Work probably done in house as someone suggests.
>> Sell the horrible thing. Work probably done in house as someone suggests.
>>

Ah! I see!

It wasn't real money then?

No wonder the Welsh NHS is in a worse state than England's.
That's down to crap governance.
 What a way to treat a car. - sooty123
Might be the way the FoI question was worded, if it wasn't asked correctly then it wouldn't have been answered in the way the questioner thought.
 What a way to treat a car. - Robin O'Reliant
>> No wonder the Welsh NHS is in a worse state than England's.
>>
Most organisations, whether private or state run have enough slack to absorb some extra work without additional cost.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 10 May 18 at 11:07
 What a way to treat a car. - RichardW
Odd, I looked at Cazana and it wasn't showing the later test. It failed in 2013 on "Nearside Front Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)" I was making up another time (that was exhaust only)
 What a way to treat a car. - sherlock47
Historically, Local Authorities in England had their own MoT testing garages - the garages that used to do the maintenance work on rubbish trucks and the like. Not sure if Wales do (did) the same. So possibly no internal cost transfers?

They were well known in London as a place to go for a sympathetic MoT. No private work carried out by the garage so no incentive to fail.
The council area where I lived for a while (Gwynedd) certainly did their own MoTs and would do anyone's for the price of a ticket. Not sure about Denbighshire. But North Wales Ambulance still do their own routine maintenance and testing.
www.motcheck.org.uk/denbighshire-county-council-bodelwyddan

Yes they do. Worth remembering.
 What a way to treat a car. - Bill Payer
>> They were well known in London as a place to go for a sympathetic MoT.
>> No private work carried out by the garage so no incentive to fail.
>>
Hmmm....I understand the no incentive point, but everything I've ever read about local authority garages doing MOTs has suggested they're extremely strict.
 What a way to treat a car. - sherlock47
Hmmm....I understand the no incentive point, but everything I've ever read about local authority garages doing MOTs has suggested they're extremely strict.

I am talking about the 1960s - maybe times have changed.
 What a way to treat a car. - Cliff Pope
To my knowledge Ceredigion do private MOTs, but I can't swear that includes cars as well as commercials.
But they also do repair work if required.
Latest Forum Posts