Motoring Discussion > Plastic welding Miscellaneous
Thread Author: TheManWithNoName Replies: 34

Plastic welding - TheManWithNoName
Has anyone experienced fixing a bumper using 'plastic welding'?
A friend has a cracked bumper with a hairline crack.

One quote from an accident repair centre says it can't be patched up so its a new bumper and respray costing over £1000.
Another quote says it can be fixed for less if its welded, filled and sprayed.

The party responsible for the damage is saying they'll pay for the cheaper repair option themselves and they don't want to involve insurance companies.
My friend is in a dilemma because if the fix is botched she'll have no guarantee of workmanship.

However if she claims on her insurance she's concerned it'll be flagged on her record for five years and even though she has full ncd and a protected policy, her insurer will probably sting her for it at some point.
 Plastic welding - CGNorwich
Insist that you want the bumper repaired properly . That is your legal right. Whether the third party wants to involve her insurance company or not is her problem not yours. If she refuses to either pay you for the repairs or advise you details of her insurance company use askMid to obtain details of her insurance company and contact them yourselves You only need the registration number.
 Plastic welding - No FM2R
What CG said with added emphasis.
 Plastic welding - Stuartli
Forgive me, but it's not quite clear if this is a "bumper" constructed from plastics and (probably) matching the body paintwork colour.

If so it's a simple job for any bodywork repair shop or mobile operator to sort out for little more than a three-figure sum.

About four years ago, someone hit my rear plastic "bumper" and left a crack in it along the nearside section - it was restored to its original pristine condition on my front driveway by a local mobile operator, who charged the princely sum of £95. A bodyshop had quoted £150.

To this day, no one has ever been able to determine which part of the bumper had been restored as the work and colour matching was spot on.

For an idea of what is covered by Barry, who did the work on my vehicle, see:

www.autobodyfix.co.uk/
I posted late last night and should have added more detail.

She was parked on a building site and her car got hit by a heavy metal gate which wasn't secured. The wind caught it and slammed into her car whilst she stood talking to the site manager.
The owner of the site offered to pay for it but didn't want to involve insurance companies.

I think he more likely doesn't want HSE involved as the incident could have had dire consequences if the gate had hit someone.

The bumper is one of these painted ones that looks looks more like body work than a plastic thing that can take a few knocks.
 Plastic welding - Boxsterboy
F-in-law scrapped and dented the painted plastic front bumper on his Subaru XV. Subaru garage wanted to fit a new bumper - £1,000 parts plus painting fitting, VAT, etc. A good body shop I know heated and straightened the bumper, welded a broken bracket and painted it for £400 all in.
>>The bumper is one of these painted ones that looks looks more like body work than a plastic thing that can take a few knocks.>>

Mine is the same - it is a substantially sized component and being body coloured integrates well with the car's body.

However, fortunately the long crack caused by being hit by another vehicle was such that it was readily repairable and has proved quite impossible to detect, thanks to a skilful operator.
You are entitled to a proper repair. The is no need to seek out cheaper options. Just get a quote from your preferred repairer and send it to the Company asking for immediate settlement.
 Plastic welding - sooty123
I had some done on my front bumper when a badger ran out in front of me. It was a pretty good repair, certainly lasted the three years that I had the car afterwards.
Before the incident it was unbroken and unrepaired, why would you (or your friend) settle for less?

Maybe the repair will be undetectable, maybe it will last forever, or maybe it won't. Why take the risk?
Update.

She's opted to have it fixed by the site owner. She then doesn't have to claim and risk being financially penalised in the future.
We shall see how it progresses.
>>Maybe the repair will be undetectable, maybe it will last forever, or maybe it won't. Why take the risk?>>

Are you insinuating that the repair to my vehicle was not of the highest possible standard?

If so, you are completely incorrect. It has stood the test of time for around five or six years now.
No, wtf do I know about your repair? I am saying that I have no idea how will be this repair. Do you know?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 11 May 18 at 18:22
>> No, wtf do I know about your repair? I am saying that I have no idea how will be this repair. Do you know?>>

Acronym or not, there's no need or reason to use such language.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Fri 11 May 18 at 20:11
1) awwwww
2) wtf do you know about my reasons?
>> 1) awwwww
>> 2) wtf do you know about my reasons?>>

The reasons are not involved in this instance, only your use of what is, frankly a quite disgraceful comment from someone who, if I'm correct, is a moderator.

You would be unlikely to tolerate it from other forum members, so why descend to such levels yourself?

Seems, as I've mentioned in the past, that certain members of the forum seem unable to respond to many comments without making some condescending posts - no wonder some have been expressing concern recently that there seems to be a decline in the number visiting the site.
Yes, I am a moderator. But I typically masquerade as Vxfan to disguise myself and to avoid any blame or responsibility..

Did uou know that 'foc' doesn't always mean ' free of charge'?
 Plastic welding - Cliff Pope
>> Yes, I am a moderator.
>>

But that doesn't mean I am moderate
>> >> Yes, I am a moderator.
>> >>
>>
>> But that doesn't mean I am moderate

You do realise that I am not a moderator and not VxFan, don't you? I'm much prettier than him.
 Plastic welding - Zero
>> Seems, as I've mentioned in the past, that certain members of the forum seem unable
>> to respond to many comments without making some condescending posts -

Maybe it wouldn't have happened if you hadn't gone unjustifiably overboard and laughably theatrically offended with your comment "Are you insinuating that the repair to my vehicle was not of the highest possible standard? " which was a completely out of context.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 12 May 18 at 07:18
 Plastic welding - Zero
>> >>Maybe the repair will be undetectable, maybe it will last forever, or maybe it won't.
>> Why take the risk?>>
>>
>> Are you insinuating that the repair to my vehicle was not of the highest possible
>> standard?

if someone else is to blame, and are paying why would you not have the part replaced with original manufacturers parts rather than have it bodged.
.. rather than have it bodged (?) >>

How do you know it would be "bodged"?

Plastic welding - Zero
How do you know it wont be? how do you know yours is not? are you an automotive or material engineer?

I repeat, if someone else is at fault and is paying, you go for replacement parts. NOT the lesser option.

Having it repaired is 'some' risk. I have no idea how much, but it is not zero.

Having it replaced with new parts is less risk, probably none.

Why would you dick about?

And financial penalties for the next 5 years? Hardly. That wouldn't happen if it *was* your fault, never mind this case.

Dump it on your insurers, that's what they are for.
 Plastic welding - Shiny
I wouldn't have it welded or filled if it was someone else's bill.
The reason is after a couple of winter the paint might craze or maybe the owner subsequently 'kisses' a bollard on the same spot and it becomes damaged as it is not as strong as it should be. There is not a need to involve your own insurer.
 Plastic welding - bathtub tom
>>Dump it on your insurers, that's what they are for.

And risk losing your NCB/premium loading, or whatever else they're currently calling it.
I bought a Nissan many years ago with (plastic) bumper damage. I estimated repairs would cost £150 - they didn't, it was closer to £250. When I sold it nine years later the repair still wasn't visible.

I'd say to the OP, don't worry. If you don't like the look of the repair, reject it and then insist on new parts.
>>I'd say to the OP, don't worry. If you don't like the look of the repair, reject it and then insist on new parts.>>

A sensible observation.
 Plastic welding - Zero
>> >>I'd say to the OP, don't worry. If you don't like the look of the
>> repair, reject it and then insist on new parts.>>
>>
>> A sensible observation.

So they end up paying twice.
>> >> >>I'd say to the OP, don't worry. If you don't like the look of
>> the
>> >> repair, reject it and then insist on new parts.>>
>> >>
>> >> A sensible observation.

Really?

How would you know whether or not the repair was well and properly done just by looking at it?
 Plastic welding - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I repeat, if someone else is at fault and is paying, you go for replacement
>> parts. .
>>

As I read it, it was an accident. I don't go around looking for people to blame, I like to treat reasonable people in a reasonable way. The site manager sounds a reasonable person - I leave that to the OP's friend's judgement - and in her position I'd probably
go for the compromise option.
If he were a nasty piece of work who tried to disclaim all responsibility of course I'd find the most expensive option possible and claim for my stress and worry too.

All in all, it's only a bumper, and this is what bumper's are for.
 Plastic welding - Zero
>
>> If he were a nasty piece of work who tried to disclaim all responsibility of
>> course I'd find the most expensive option possible and claim for my stress and worry
>> too.

No. stress is in the repaired crack.
 Plastic welding - Roger.

>> All in all, it's only a bumper, and this is what bumper's are for.
>>
Not these days! They are just part of the design.
Now - just think of a "proper" bumper and remember the solid jobs on the Lada Rivas I used to sell :-)
 Plastic welding - Manatee
Think Land Rover. If you can't attach winch, or put a farm jack under it and lift it, it isn't a bumper.
>>if someone else is to blame, and are paying why would you not have the part replaced with original manufacturers parts rather than have it bodged. >>

In my case whoever did the damage was completely unknown. So I sought the best and most reasonable repair service and cost for the damage.

As anyone would.

>> >> Are you insinuating that the repair to my vehicle was not of the highes possible standard?

Sounds like something out of a Victorian melodrama. Such a statement usually ends up with an invitation to pistols at dawn.
Made .me laugh anyhow!

Latest Forum Posts