Motoring Discussion > TomTom Go Camper Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 20

TomTom Go Camper - rtj70
TomTom now have a satnav unit aimed at caravans, motorhomes, etc.

www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/camper-caravan-sat-nav/?affid=1503186&tduid=c503623c1a12f96b93d7ad28ec798dd1

A bit pricey.
 TomTom Go Camper - No FM2R
If it is as good as it supposed to be, and does caravan sensitive routing and re-routing, I should think it's well worth the money.

They do one for trucks, don;t they? I wonder what that costs.
 TomTom Go Camper - Zero
>> If it is as good as it supposed to be, and does caravan sensitive routing
>> and re-routing, I should think it's well worth the money.
>>
>> They do one for trucks, don;t they? I wonder what that costs.

Less

www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/truck-sat-nav/products/trucker-6000/index.html

Which makes the caravan one overpriced.
 TomTom Go Camper - PeterS

>> Less
>>
>> www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/truck-sat-nav/products/trucker-6000/index.html
>>
>> Which makes the caravan one overpriced.
>>

To be fair, I’d imagine they’ll sell at least 10 times as many truck ones as caravan ones, and the development costs (whatever they are...) can’t be much different so it’s no wonder the truck one costs less.

Plus, if you’re willing to spend £15k on a plastic box to tow behind your car, what’s another £400 ;)
 TomTom Go Camper - Zero

>> To be fair, I’d imagine they’ll sell at least 10 times as many truck ones
>> as caravan ones, and the development costs (whatever they are...) can’t be much different

No different., the routes are the same. hence the bog pullers are being ripped off.
Imagine the shock as I remember you were IT, rather than grown up business. 8-)

Price is value based, not cost based.

Did you know, and I was surprised, that the number of caravans and the number of trucks is about the same!

Still, their buying process will be quite different and I would expect the commercial buyers to be more price driven than the leisure drivers.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 20 May 18 at 20:24
 TomTom Go Camper - Zero

>> Price is value based, not cost based.

Price is driven by what the market will bear. And that includes being ripped off.
>Price is driven by what the market will bear.

Which depends on entirely what value the market attributes to it.

>>And that includes being ripped off.

I'm not sure about that. I guess being ripped off would be paying for a value you don't get? And I think in this case you do get the value. As for whether or not it should be cheaper, if it should be then it probably will be, if only because another supplier will join in.
 TomTom Go Camper - PeterS
>> No different., the routes are the same. hence the bog pullers are being ripped off.

Yes, but don’t forget it’s a different SKU, with different packaging and a special large print instruction manual for the older clientele ;)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 21 May 18 at 02:05
 TomTom Go Camper - tyrednemotional
...and it keeps repeating "the speed limit is 40mph" regardless..

;-)
 TomTom Go Camper - Pat
It's been 50 MPH now for some time........keep up at the back please.

Pat
 TomTom Go Camper - CGNorwich
Wasn't that a joke poked at the non awareness of some caravanners?

The limit is of course 50mph on single carriageways and 60 mph on dual carriageways/ motorways.
 TomTom Go Camper - R.P.
We had one in the Auto Trail van - I think it was Garmin based - proved very good in fairness if the look was a little primitive - I have a TT 420 for the bike. That was expensive (I got it on a TT promotion and was close to 50% off) but they are weather proofed etc. Lots of bikers use very cheap TTs/Garmins and house them in waterproof covers.
 TomTom Go Camper - hawkeye
>> ... Lots
>> of bikers use very cheap TTs/Garmins and house them in waterproof covers.
>>

That's the way I went. Still using my ancient Garmin 1410. And I tow a caravan, but the Garmin escapes from its waterproof cover when it goes into the car.
 TomTom Go Camper - Pat
Thank you for pointing out that I may have been incorrect in my assumption CG. It is something you do so well.

It was my understanding that it referred to the HGV version of Tom Tom and the recently (last couple of years) increased speed limit on single carriageway roads for lorries.

No matter, between the two of us no member of this forum will be unaware of the speed limits for any type of vehicle.

As an aside.....does no-one actually 'get' dry humour on here?

Pat

>> As an aside.....does no-one actually 'get' dry humour on here?
>>
>>
Evidently not.
 TomTom Go Camper - Zero
Whats "wet" humour then?
People taking the P?
 TomTom Go Camper - Pat
>>
>> >> As an aside.....does no-one actually 'get' dry humour on here?
>> >>
>> >>
>> Evidently not.
>>

No, it seems sarcasm is preferred which of course, we know is the lowest form of wit.

Pat
 TomTom Go Camper - Bromptonaut
>> No different., the routes are the same. hence the bog pullers are being ripped off.

Difficult to tell from the web pages how similar, other than shared physical profile, they are. Pic of the trucker version suggests it's programmable for size, weight carrying Hazchem etc. Caravan spec would be useless without having similar detail for unit. My little Xplore 304 is a lot less restricted than the massive double axle jobs beloved of pensioners with a dog for company.

They also differ in POI details etc. I'd hope for a 'van version these would include details of main sites - including recommended access. We made a mistake approaching Caravan & Motorhome Club site at Denham, fortunately we didn't meet anyone coming other way on lengthy single track with sparse passing places. Usually walk ourselves into new places with streetview but failed to do so on this occasion.
 TomTom Go Camper - Pat
The truck versions of most satnavs have weight limits, width limits and bridge heights on them which is a lot of data that has to be accurate.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts