Motoring Discussion > Digital Driving Licence Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 17

Digital Driving Licence - Pat
DVLA came up with the idea of creating a digitalised version of the Driving License for the UK population.

In September 2017, a BETA version of the license was released.

According to the DVLA, if this trial version proves to be successful, it is expected that the Digital Driving License would be available to the public in 2018.

According to the team developing the app for the digital license, this service would be ‘quick, easy and secure’.

In a statement released by the DVLA, it was mentioned that even though this quick and easy version would be available for smartphone users, the plastic cards would still be very much in use and accepted everywhere. The aim of developing a digital representation of the driving license is only to create ease for the users. It is in no way a replacement of the conventional driving license.

According to the developers, the app would give drivers, complete control of their personal data. They would be able to share and validate information, to trusted third parties, through the use of a secure website.

Drivers would be able to use the digital driving license around the clock, wherever there is an internet connection available. Anyone who has authenticated themselves on the gov.uk website by providing their current driving license credentials would be able to use this service. The license would appear on the smartphone in the Apple Wallet along with other bank cards, plane tickets etc.

This step taken by the DVLA is expected to benefit the UK population greatly.

Quotes from various sources, but how secure and successful do we think this will be?

Good or bad?

Pat
 Digital Driving Licence - Duncan
>> This step taken by the DVLA is expected to benefit the UK population greatly.
>>
>> Quotes from various sources, but how secure and successful do we think this will be?
>>
>> Good or bad?
>>
>> Pat

Benefit the UK population greatly?

I am not at all sure this will benefit me greatly. How exactly? Hey ho, it's progress I suppose?

Pedant Corner.

Before we start, why do I ALWAYS get the early shift? Eh? Come on, why is it always me? Not yet six o'clock and here I am scurrying about!

Licence.

Not license.

License is the verb.

Licence is the noun.
 Digital Driving Licence - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> I am not at all sure this will benefit me greatly. How exactly? Hey ho,
>> it's progress I suppose?
>>

It is necessary because it is possible.
>>Quotes from various sources<<

You'll have to go and do your 'pedanting' to my quoted source Duncan:) ( Yes I know it should be pedantry!)

Pat
>> >>Quotes from various sources<<
>>
>> You'll have to go and do your 'pedanting' to my quoted source Duncan:)

Yes, I should have guessed! Lorry drivers:-

tinyurl.com/y7aojao5

mods comment - links to www.hgvtrainingnetwork.com for the curious ones who have no idea where tinyurl is taking them
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 25 May 18 at 10:18
 Digital Driving Licence - Zero
It is time we had a national identity card. All of the available data is available but none in the same place at the same time. The National identity card should include your driving rights, and would ensure that everyone gets the benefits of the state they are entitled to, and ensure those who are
unentitled, don't.

Carrying it should of course be mandatory.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 25 May 18 at 09:24
>>
>> Carrying it should of course be mandatory.
>>

When my party get into power, this is one of the things in our manifesto.

For the avoidance of confusion, anyone refusing to carry their ID card would be subjected to the ultimate penalty.

Of course.
 Digital Driving Licence - Bromptonaut
>> The National identity card
>> should include your driving rights, and would ensure that everyone gets the benefits of the
>> state they are entitled to, and ensure those who are
>> unentitled, don't

That's going to work well for the Windrush folks etc......

>> That's going to work well for the Windrush folks etc......

Yes it would have worked extremely well for them had that been the policy at the time of their arrival. They would have been given one and there would not have been a problem now.

Digital Driving Licence - Cliff Pope
>>
>> >>
>>
>> Yes it would have worked extremely well for them had that been the policy at
>> the time of their arrival. They would have been given one and there would not
>> have been a problem now.
>>

As they arrived in 1948 they and the children would have been issued with National Identity Cards just like everyone else. I received mine in 1949, and I still have it.
Perhaps they have all lost theirs?
>> As they arrived in 1948 they and the children would have been issued with National
>> Identity Cards just like everyone else. I received mine in 1949, and I still have
>> it.
>> Perhaps they have all lost theirs?

Although the Empire Windrush arrived in 1948 the term 'Windrush Generation' seems to be used as a cover-all term for those who arrived before 1973 when the 1971 Immigration Act curtailed migration rights of Commonwealth Citizens. Particular issue seems to be those who arrived as children, perhaps on a parent's passport and never needed to prove right of abode until recent changes affecting employment, tenancies and benefits.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 25 May 18 at 16:04
>> Particular issue seems to be those who arrived as
>> children, perhaps on a parent's passport and never needed to prove right of abode until
>> recent changes affecting employment, tenancies and benefits.

Had they required an identity card to get work, benefits, drive, married, buy booze, medical treatment, stop 'n search etc when they left school, there wouldn't now be a problem would there.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 25 May 18 at 18:30
>> Had they required an identity card to get work, benefits, drive, married, buy booze, medical
>> treatment, stop 'n search etc when they left school, there wouldn't now be a problem
>> would there.

Possibly true but of no relevance to issues that would arise for that cohort if an ID card scheme were introduced now.
It provides stark evidence of future problems of failure to do so.

Glad you came round to my way of thinking
This world needs both brains and brawn for it to be successful.

We manage to provide both!

Pat
 Digital Driving Licence - jc2
Still got my wartime identity card.
 Digital Driving Licence - Shiny
I will use it if it can be used for proof of ID for click & collect orders or picking up parcels etc...
 Digital Driving Licence - Fullchat
Your photo ID licence should suffice for that.
After the passport it's now the second form of acceptable ID. DVLA have a large fraud department who are involved in the prevention of issue of licences where there is an attempt to obtain fraudulently. Once you have one it opens all sorts of opportunities for fraudulent activity.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 26 May 18 at 23:03
Latest Forum Posts