Motoring Discussion > Tesla crashes into cop car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 15

Tesla crashes into cop car - Zero
On Autopilot

www.cnbc.com/2018/05/29/tesla-in-autopilot-mode-hit-a-parked-california-police-car.html

Oppps
 Tesla crashes into cop car - VxFan
"The carmaker says the function is not designed to avoid a collision and warns drivers not to rely on it entirely."

What's the point of it then? Sounds like it's just an overly expensive cruise control function.
An NTSB report into a Tesla Autopilot crash.

www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/HWY18FH011-preliminary.pdf

The damn thing caught fire again 5 days after the crash!

Tesla crashes into cop car - rtj70
The car sounds like it would have done the same as mine in the circumstances - set ACC to 75mph and you're following a car at 65mph and they move over.... the car will accelerate. And steer in the lane if the option is enabled.

More worrying though is the damage to the Tesla... I would think many other cars would have less damage even at 70mph.
>> The car sounds like it would have done the same as mine in the circumstances
>> - set ACC to 75mph and you're following a car at 65mph and they move
>> over.... the car will accelerate. And steer in the lane if the option is enabled.

Indeed, in this case tho it had a choice of two diverging lanes, and chose neither opting in effect to drive off the freeway. Of course its ultimately the drivers fault, but the main complaint here is that Tesla call it "Auto Pilot" and refuse to change the name even when clearly it is anything other than autopilot.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 8 Jun 18 at 08:28
 Tesla crashes into cop car - DP
>> the main complaint here is that Tesla call it "Auto Pilot" and refuse
>> to change the name even when clearly it is anything other than autopilot.

Agreed. Volvo call theirs "Pilot Assist", which is much more accurate.

A colleague has a new S90 thus equipped, and it works well. He drove a few of us from Birmingham to Warrington recently, and it did the vast majority of the M6 with little more than the regular brief touch on the steering wheel. The car's lane positioning, and general behaviour were flawless from the passenger seat.

Good illustration of the Volvo system here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EClvk7SgPDk

Tesla crashes into cop car - rtj70
I let mine do most of the steering on the motorway but I would not let go of the wheel. And you're not supposed to either. An example of where not holding it is a problem is hitting a large pot hole which will force the car to deviate and it does not compensate with the steering.

I think the Tesla one is a lot better than the VW or Volvo setups. It has many more cameras for starters - mine just uses one behind the rear view mirror.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 8 Jun 18 at 14:53
 Tesla crashes into cop car - MD
I was in Norway recently and Tesla’s were everywhere. Never seen so many.
 Tesla crashes into cop car - Old Navy
>> I was in Norway recently and Tesla’s were everywhere. Never seen so many.
>>

Most stuff over there is relatively cheap hydro electric powered, they sell their gas (and its pollution) to us.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 10 Jun 18 at 08:14
 Tesla crashes into cop car - DP

>> Most stuff over there is relatively cheap hydro electric powered, they sell their gas (and
>> its pollution) to us.
>>

They invested their North Sea oil and gas profits rather than privatising them, and the Norwegian people are currently £1.1 trillion richer as a result:

www.ft.com/content/48cec082-1ba0-11e8-aaca-4574d7dabfb6

>> They invested their North Sea oil and gas profits rather than privatising them, and the
>> Norwegian people are currently £1.1 trillion richer as a result:
>>
>> www.ft.com/content/48cec082-1ba0-11e8-aaca-4574d7dabfb6

And before they were privatised the labour government wasted the money rather than invest it.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-44460980/this-car-is-on-autopilot-what-happens-next
 Tesla crashes into cop car - Manatee
Pretty much what I said in another thread - the "attendant" idea is unworkable.

If the attendant sees a situation developing, he or she won't do anything because they'll be waiting for the car to deal with it. By the time it is apparent that the car hasn't, it will usually be too late.
 Tesla crashes into cop car - commerdriver
It doesn't work because
1. The car in front was not on autopilot
2. The Tesla did not have the information on other traffic beside it in the "autopilot" and does not have changing lane as an option.
3. The Tesla was too close to the car in front.

etc etc, give the technology and processing capability another few years and it can solve some of the issues but it will not solve every issue and there will be accidents and consequences along the way.
 Tesla crashes into cop car - Cliff Pope
If you need to be as alert as if you were in an ordinary car, keep your hands on the wheel, take necesary action as if in an ordinary car, what exactly is it doing for you?

I appreciate it may just be a necessary development stage on the way to full automation, but why is it being released onto the roads in a half-developed state? It's a bit like inventing a new kind of brake that only partly works. Isn't it a bit irresponsible just say, this may not work - be careful ?
 Tesla crashes into cop car - Driver
>> If you need to be as alert as if you were in an ordinary car,
>> keep your hands on the wheel, take necesary action as if in an ordinary car,
>> what exactly is it doing for you?
>>

Spot on. Its easy enough to get tired whilst driving. Too much semi automation will make it worse.

I guess the examples of being in control is like an autopilot in a plane. The pilots need to be always alert but then they have years of training to do.

Given the average bod in a car there is the potential for carnage if the technology is not introduced correctly.

Sorry for the pun.
Latest Forum Posts