Motoring Discussion > Car Hire in Greece Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 11

Car Hire in Greece - CGNorwich
Anyone thinking of hiring a car in Greece this summer and who still has a paper licence should get a new style one.

“In order to avoid any unpleasant situations, we would like to draw your attention the recent measures (Valid from April 26th, 2018) that have been approved and are already in effect by the Greek ministry of transportation regarding driving documentation required.

Accepted driving licenses (which must be held for at least one year and is of “the new credit card type”) as per the updated law in Greece:

European (from E.U. Countries)
Non-European and issued from any participant country in Vienna's Convention on Road Traffic.
In case driver’s national driving license (which must be held for at least one year) does not match any of the above requirements, a valid International driving license (IDL) along with the National driving license are required. (IDL can be even one day old!)

Important notice: Driving in Greece without this necessary documentation will result a violation traffic fine of €1.000 for the renter/driver and €1.000 for the rental agency.”

Not sure that this os compliant with EU law but you probably won’t want to argue the toss at the car hire desk with a dozen people behind you.
 Car Hire in Greece - Zero
I assume they mean IDP, not IDL.
I guess.
 Car Hire in Greece - smokie
I thought paper licences were phased out at least a year ago.

EDIT I should have added but now I've googled I realise they haven't been.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 31 May 18 at 12:12
You were thinking about the old paper counterpart to the license which is no longer issued or needed.

There are over 110 types of licence valid in Europe! You can check them all here if you get bored!

The old paper one is still valid in Europe according to this.

europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving-licence/driving-licence-recognition-validity/index_en.htm
 Car Hire in Greece - VxFan
Had I not had to update things with DVLA a couple of years ago for medical reasons, I would have still had the old style pink paper driving licence.
 Car Hire in Greece - commerdriver
My wife still uses her green paper driving licence which does not expire until September 2029
last changed in 1983 when we moved to our current home.
 Car Hire in Greece - VxFan
I thought they had phased out the green paper licences for pink ones?

Obviously not. I must have had my pink licence issued when I passed my motorbike test in 1986.
 Car Hire in Greece - smokie
My licence expires later this year but I can't think what the trigger is. Last moved house in early 88 but SWMBOs licence still has years to go so I don't think it was that.

I suppose I may have just swapped it for a new style as I quite like keeping up to date.
 Car Hire in Greece - commerdriver
Modern licences expire every 10 years unless you turn 70 before that in which case they expire on your 70th birthday when you go on to a 3 year replacement cycle.
Except medical driving licences which are I believe every 3 years.
Bus & lorry ones are different again but I know nothing of such things.

I swapped from my green one as I misplaced it and had to apply for a photo one because I needed to drive hire cars at the time. I got the paper one back a year later from a van hire company who had found it down the back of the glove box before the sold the van. I still have it but don't use it any more.

But then I still have my original red book licence from 1972
 Car Hire in Greece - jc2
Lorry ones used to be every three years but have not renewed for some time being retired.
 Car Hire in Greece - Pat
LGV licences are valid for 5 years until you reach 45 when you have to have a medical to renew it for 5 years.

After 65 a medical is required every year.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts