Motoring Discussion > Car insurance renewal Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 11

Car insurance renewal - VxFan
Recently had my renewal quote come through the post. Was surprised to see it was £5 cheaper than last year's price.

A few months ago my job description changed from being a supervisor to manager, so I thought I'd better get the policy updated to keep things in order.

Ka-ching! That small amendment puts the policy up from £381 to £418. An increase of £37!!!!

WTF? It's just a job title change. I'm still doing the same job, same responsibilities. It was just changed for work political reasons.

Anyway, after the woman at Direct Line did a few mouse and keyboard clicks, she managed to get it down to £389, which is £8 dearer than their original renewal quote.

I know there are many other factors that can affect prices, such as the day of the week you call them, or if it's at the start or end of the month, but really!!!

Haven't bothered shopping round much, as all other quotes are coming back as a lot dearer that Direct Line's.

What a lottery.
 Car insurance renewal - ChrisM
You need to do some blind quotes on a comparison site. My son's premium varied quite considerably depending on whether he described his occupation as a football or sports coach or a teacher. As he runs PE lessons in schools, he chose teacher. I always stuck to office clerk before retiring. Not suggesting you cheat, but maybe find a description that works for you.
 Car insurance renewal - Pat
Or use this

www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

A lot quicker and less stressful!

Pat
 Car insurance renewal - Cliff Pope

>>
>> A lot quicker and less stressful!
>>

I must have missed that - what fun!

Some of the suggested alternatives look a bit dubious - down-playing the risky element in one's job and substituting a bland cover-all description might get picked up if you claimed?

Two years ago I retired from paid work but remained as a company director. I rang the insurers to ask what to put, and they said it didn't matter, the premium was the same.
I've just tried the link, and it confirms that. But if I'd promoted myself to company chairman it would have been 20p more expensive !
 Car insurance renewal - Runfer D'Hills
Wonder what happens if you put in "Crash Test Dummy" ?
 Car insurance renewal - bathtub tom
>> Wonder what happens if you put in "Crash Test Dummy" ?

Probably about the same as "door mirror resilience tester".
>> Probably about the same as "door mirror resilience tester".

Door mirror resilience tester's supervisor, if you please...
;-)
 Car insurance renewal - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Door mirror resilience tester's supervisor, if you please...
>> ;-)
>>

If you want to see the man/woman who puts the gloss upon the equal opportunities compliance procedures working with the director of reflective products car components division visual monitoring accessories department door mirror resilience tester's supervisor,

you're too late, because he's just passed out!
 Car insurance renewal - VxFan
>> Door mirror resilience tester's supervisor, if you please...

Just as long as its a supervisor and not a manager, else it'll be more expensive.
 Car insurance renewal - PeterS
Car insurance is, relatively speaking, pretty cheap and I have to say my recent experience has put into focus the importance of service. LV paid out £18,325 in under a week of the accident, and it only took one 2 minute call to the claims line to get the ball rolling. Their engineer inspected the car in under 24 hours, and I had a named claims handler and their direct number who sorted out the rest. In total I probably spent 15 minutes making and receiving calls from them. They were around £30 more than the cheapest (so about 10%), but I’d happily pay twice that for the service :)
You might have to next time...

;-)
 Car insurance renewal - PeterS
>> You might have to next time...
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Haha you could be right!
Although, I’ve been driving for 30 years this year. I’ve probably insured my own car(s) for most of those, but I’m not sure that, in today’s money, I’ve spent anywhere near an average of £600 a year. So at the moment, I reckon I’m ahead :)
Latest Forum Posts