Motoring Discussion > Mercedes Benz - You can lead a horse to water Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 6

Mercedes Benz - You can lead a horse to water - legacylad
An aquaintance has just chopped in his rusty old 2002 C class for a 6yo C class diesel.
His old car was a 2.0 petrol auto
‘New’ one a diesel auto, engine size unknown but apparently it’s ‘slow’
He drives about 2k miles a year! All stop start, at most 5 miles. Every 3 months it might travel 30 miles in a single journey.
In the past 3 weeks, since purchase, it’s had a single 4 mile journey.
I hardly dare mention the letters D P F
 Mercedes Benz - You can lead a horse to water - Robin O'Reliant
I walk more miles than that.
 Mercedes Benz - You can lead a horse to water - Runfer D'Hills
The obscure thought occurs to me that while he may well be storing up future problems with that sort of usage, they might still be a long time coming due to his exceptionally low mileage.

Of course, you could I suppose, offer to take it for a more spirited outing for him now and then?
 Mercedes Benz - You can lead a horse to water - legacylad
Most succinct.
I’ve no idea how long potential DPF problems take to occur with that mileage and lack of use.
 Mercedes Benz - You can lead a horse to water - Runfer D'Hills
Well, I'm no expert, and may well be talking through my rear exit, but I can't see how you could block a DPF by not using the car much at all, as I understand it, it's when they get used little and often that the problems occur.

Mercedes Benz - You can lead a horse to water - PeterS
That’s probably a very similar engine to the E class I had... I think that it’d do an active regeneration if it needed it, though only if speed exceeded 40ish mph. And I seem to recall that a regeneration was desirable every tank of fuel, so 600ish miles. That’s three regens a year on his mileage!! I’m sure that the car could trigger a few active regenerations over that time period?
 Mercedes Benz - You can lead a horse to water - bathtub tom
I wonder what sort of use his 'new' car has had and what state the DPF's in?
Latest Forum Posts