Motoring Discussion > MINI Clubman R55 - Courtesy car / test drive Buying / Selling
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 35

MINI Clubman R55 - Courtesy car / test drive - PeterS
Yes, I know it’s not an R55,but that’s the only option on the drop down...

The BMW was in for its first service today, 22,600miles and 23 months after delivery. A very cheap car to run ;)

As MINIs seem to still be available from stock, pipeline and to order for delivery in 8 to 12 weeks, unlike VAG products, I decided to ask if I could have a MINI courtesy car as it’s a possible replacement for the Ibiza. If we do buy one to replace the Ibiza it is most likely going to be a petrol auto, either 3 door or Clubman in Cooper spec. Of course the demonstrator was not available in that spec; the Coopers were all diesel. So what I’m test driving is a MINI Cooper S auto.

ibb.co/fR5EVy I don’t think anyone can tell it’s not mine :p

It’s had a few options thrown at it, but they’ve been relatively restrained. I say relatively; there are only four - a CHILI pack, a Navigation plus pack, a panoramic roof and metallic paint. But that little lot is over £5,000. The base car with an auto box is £25,500. So today I’ve been driving a £31,000 MINI. That’s not far off twice what the SEAT cost, after discount. Now, to be fair CarWow will get just over 14% off a MINI Clubman, so the £31k is nearer £27k...but still, whichever way you look at it, it’s expensive.

It’s a quality bit of kit, and feels very substantial. The Ibiza felt solid, but not substantial if that makes sense. I’m not sure I like the fact that it feels ‘heavy’. It’s only 100 or so KGs heavier than the SEAT, but it gives the impression it’s more like half a tonne heavier. I like the interior, but I appreciate it might be over style to some. Easy enough to use, the infotainment system is BMW, the controls layout BMW and the auto gear-lever BMW. The leather seats in this one were high quality - noticeably better than those in my BMW. Hang on... I think they might be optional too... yep, just checked. Another £800. Make that £6,000 of extras...

Easy to get a decent driving position, though the same annoying adjustment mechanism as manual seats in a BMW. Fine once adjusted if there’s only one driver, but annoying to change between drivers. A nice chunky steering wheel, and paddle shifts for the gear change if you want them. There’s also plenty of room in the back, but the Clubman has a 100mm longer wheelbase than the hatch. The boot is a similar size to the A3s and the Ibizas on first impressions. The stats say it’s larger. I don’t see that. The rear doors are neat enough, but of course do get in the way of rear vision!

The Cooper S has a 2 litre engine that chucks out around 190 BHP. It’s sounds very rorty when floored, which might get annoying. I must be getting old... actual performance stats are good - 0 to 60 in just over 7 seconds and a top speed of 142. It doesn’t feel that fast though. Brisk, yes, when thrashed, but not quick. It’s much quicker than the SEAT, but I wouldn’t say it felt it. The biggest disappointment though was the gearbox, which surprised me. It’s got the 8 speed auto, presumably the same as fitted to BMWs. I’ve driven a few cars with it; 1, 3, and 5 series and it’s a good gearbox. But in the MINI it felt much more like an old school auto. Even in sport, there was a noticeable delay when floored. Using the paddles to downchange was no better. Very odd. I wonder whether it works better on engines with more torque?

Summary? I like the car but worry that the non ‘S’ version (50 odd BHP less) would feel too slow. On the other hand, it might be better suited to the gearbox as more of a cruiser than a hot hatch. I don’t think it’s a very good hot hatch, though it is entertaining. You could do a long journey in it pretty easily I reckon, once you’d got the seat adjusted just so. It’s a quality bit of kit; expensive, but not bad value. You pay £3k more for the ‘S’ than the Cooper. And you could save a few grand on options and not miss them I suspect. That’d make it a £22kish car, which I reckon is very good value indeed. Of course, actually ticking fewer boxes might be easier said than done...
 MINI Clubman R55 - Courtesy car / test drive - Runfer D'Hills
Is that the old A2 behind it? The sort of car that wouldn't matter if it got a few dings in it...?

Jus' sayin'

;-)
It is, but unfortunately (fortunately...) it’s a manual. Don’t think they did an auto in the UK!
Anyway, what do you mean...old...?!? It’s an appreciating classic ;)

ibb.co/nrzfLy

And for those who want to see how much space is in a MINI Clubman, here are a few more pictures.

ibb.co/kPPEfy
ibb.co/h5PQnd
ibb.co/ej15nd

Note the not so subtle headrests...

ibb.co/d33knd
 MINI Clubman R55 - Courtesy car / test drive - Zero

>> And for those who want to see how much space is in a MINI Clubman,
>> here are a few more pictures.

And there for me is the issue, I find Mini Interiors utterly abhorrent.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 1 Jun 18 at 22:37

>>
>> And there for me is the issue, I find Mini Interiors utterly abhorrent.
>>

They’re certainly marmite, but I really like them :)
There was a convertible in the showroom with a’stone’ Interior that I thought looked even better

ibb.co/kMdMAy

They’re also far better put together than the original BMW MINI. We had one in of those in 2002; looking back, that had £3k of extras I think. The basic Cooper then was, from memory, £11,600. Ours was £14,200 on the road. No discount. How things have changed :)
 MINI Clubman R55 - Courtesy car / test drive - No FM2R
goodgrow.uk/how-to-prevent-weeds-on-gravel-driveways/
>> goodgrow.uk/how-to-prevent-weeds-on-gravel-driveways/
>>

Haha I did wonder who’d be the first to comment... ;)
It needs redoing really, but can’t decide with what. Im not a fan of huge areas of brick paving, and stone will be to slippy. Granite sets look nice, but prohibitively expense I think. Then there’s tarmac... or, the natural gravel look :p

Mind you, the chap that delivered some furniture on a pallet using a pallet truck was cursing the gravel this afternoon!
- Remove the gravel
- Fill in craters
- Get a whacker and whack it
- Lay fibre weed barrier
- Replace gravel
- Whack it again.

A reduced amount of shallow weeds will grow in the gravel on top of the weed barrier but they will simple rake out once a year.
>> >> goodgrow.uk/how-to-prevent-weeds-on-gravel-driveways/
>> >>
>>
>> Haha I did wonder who’d be the first to comment... ;)

Check out resin bound gravel.
 MINI Clubman R55 - Courtesy car / test drive - legacylad
Funny you should say that....last weekend I attended a friends combined 60th and retirement party ( 10 hours of drunken debauchery...LL has staying power) and the parking area at the front of his house has recently laid resin bonded stuff. Looks very good...he works in the construction industry, travelling worldwide ( not Appleby) so presumably knows his stuff.
>>Check out resin bound gravel.

I'm not sure, but isn't that the stuff you put on top of existing drives?
you can, it can go on top of most things, but it can also be laid (thicker) on a prepared sub base as primary surface. (where it is porous, so meets all planning regs)

I have a major drive/patio planning project on the go at the moment, its next after the conservatory is finished.

Choices are Concrete imprinted, Slabs of some kind, or Resin bound gravel.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 1 Jun 18 at 23:12
>> you can, it can go on top of most things, but it can also be
>> laid (thicker) on a prepared sub base as primary surface. (where it is porous, so
>> meets all planning regs)
>>
>> I have a major drive/patio planning project on the go at the moment, its next
>> after the conservatory is finished.
>>
>> Choices are Concrete imprinted, Slabs of some kind, or Resin bound gravel.
>>

I walk past a house with that imprinted concrete stuff on my way to the station. It always looks a little bit shiny and artificial to me. I haven’t looked at prices yet, but given the drive area would be somewhere in the region of 100m2 even relatively cost effective solutions soon add up! I’d prefer slabs, though I think they could be slippy, or granite sets. Both v expensive I imagine. When I had the terrace at the back of the house re-done last year it was around £110m2 including VAT for materials and labour, and that was for 58m2 of the stuff. A reworked gravel solution might be the sensible option...

>> I walk past a house with that imprinted concrete stuff on my way to the
>> station. It always looks a little bit shiny and artificial to me.

Yeah I have seen some shockers, but on the other hand I have seen some good ones, one in particular near me that looks like york slabs.

I haven’t looked
>> at prices yet, but given the drive area would be somewhere in the region of
>> 100m2

I am looking at 180m2, for front side and patio, and budgeting about 20k, so yeah about £110m2 supplied and laid.
 MINI Clubman R55 - Courtesy car / test drive - Avant
Gardening is boring. Weeding makes other types of gardening look interesting.

Peter, I think whichever Mini version you try, liveliness starting from rest is never going to be its best feature. SWMBO had several, and they all gave of their best at the top of the rev range: she was happy enough but they never suited me. Her current A1 is far better in this respect (as in many other respects).

I think this is your partner's car. I'm not sure what sort of usage and mileage we're talking about but the more it's low and urban, the more an EV might be worth thinking about. As you know, the A3 e-tron is expensive, but the pure EV Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoe are a bit cheaper, and particuarly good value nearly-new as EVs still depreciate fast.
Get a second straight six. They won’t be around forever.

>> I think this is your partner's car. I'm not sure what sort of usage and
>> mileage we're talking about but the more it's low and urban, the more an EV
>> might be worth thinking about. As you know, the A3 e-tron is expensive, but the
>> pure EV Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoe are a bit cheaper, and particuarly good value
>> nearly-new as EVs still depreciate fast.
>>

It is, and it’s main use would therefore be relatively short journeys, albeit frequent. Maybe 8,000 miles a year in total. However my car is not exactly practical, so there are times when it’d be used for longer journeys, occasionally with rear seat passengers or sometimes just when more space / flexibility is needed. Now to be fair the A2 covers those basis, but I’m not sure I’d want to take that to France for example. The DSG Ibiza worked well, but I’m not waiting 6 months for one, and an A1 would be an even longer wait. A Zoe would be fine 90% of the time, or possibly more, but if you don’t lease the battery it’s still quite pricey. But I should spec one in CarWow and see what comes back

The Clubman is already more than the original, albeit self imposed, budget of around £20k. The Cooper S would blow that completely. The Ibiza came in £3k under budget, and I’m £1k up on the insurance payout. Man maths therefore says the notional budget is now £24k ish ;)
Newish 340 Touring then
Better get a pano roof in case the Cheshire based mountain biker makes derogatory comments
>> Newish 340 Touring then
>> Better get a pano roof in case the Cheshire based mountain biker makes derogatory comments
>>

Merc *have* just announced the E53 estate, but it’s starts at £66k. That’s possibly overkill for a second car, albeit a practical one ;)

And I’m not sure 340bhp wouldn’t just mean arriving at a stone wall quicker, going faster or both... Someone mentioned a fiesta on the other thread...perhaps I should take a look :)
By the way, off topic I know, I trust that your partner is doing well these days, health wise I mean?

A Fiesta ST is pretty darn fast....wonder why they’re only available as a 3 door, and (stand to be corrected) the latest incarnation ST is a 1.5 3 cyl.
>> By the way, off topic I know, I trust that your partner is doing well
>> these days, health wise I mean?
>>

Thanks...Not completely off topic...certainly by the standards of this place; bar driving into stone walls pretty much the same, which is to say still on dialysis, but getting on with life! We got back from Crete on the 16th, and he wrote the car off on the 17th. I need another holiday ;)
 MINI Clubman R55 - Courtesy car / test drive - Auntie Lockbrakes
I am surprised that there is a dearth of Audi A1s in stock around the country? The model has been around for several years and the new one isn’t due until the New Year. Who’s buying them all?!

It’s probably a tad too small for your requirements anyway though?
>> I am surprised that there is a dearth of Audi A1s in stock around the
>> country? The model has been around for several years and the new one isn’t due
>> until the New Year. Who’s buying them all?!
>>
>> It’s probably a tad too small for your requirements anyway though?
>>

The A1 would be fine, but, in petrol/auto form factory order only according to all 5 CarWow dealers who quoted. It’s not that there’s massive demand I don’t think; more that the emissions changes have lead to fewer cars being built. Which means a 6 month lead time, taking it to when the new one is launched
Have you looked on the Audi website...pre owned? There are several currently listed, S Tronic, reg 2018, some with sunroofs! I’ve no idea how the asking price stacks up against brand new price.
>> Have you looked on the Audi website...pre owned? There are several currently listed, S Tronic,
>> reg 2018, some with sunroofs! I’ve no idea how the asking price stacks up against
>> brand new price.
>>

Thanks; no, I hadn’t. Will take a look over the weekend and speak to my local dealer :)
Pre-reg cars can be a really good move. My last Merc was one, they had registered it because it was a run out model. No miles on it but if we'd paid new list ( I know no one does that ) it'd have been £47,000 with all the extras it has. We paid £34,000 for it.

Bit of a saving that.
 MINI Clubman R55 - Courtesy car / test drive - Duncan
I read somewhere that Mercedes are bringing out a range of new engines. When that happens will it make any difference to your decision making?
Not sure if this is what you're thinking of Duncan, but the "new" E 220 is a 2 litre as opposed to my "old" 2.1. More powerful/fuel efficient too apparently.
>> I read somewhere that Mercedes are bringing out a range of new engines. When that
>> happens will it make any difference to your decision making?
>>

This range of engines may be what I was thinking of.

tinyurl.com/y6vukyyq
>
>> This range of engines may be what I was thinking of.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/y6vukyyq
>>

Or p'raps this?

tinyurl.com/yavulv9f
 MINI Clubman R55 - Courtesy car / test drive - rtj70
Hope you had a good time on Crete. Car is irrelevant isn't it. Where did you stay/visit?

As for replacement cars.... I know you like German engineered cars so I'd get one as the replacement. Even wait for an Ibiza to be available again. I know you're unlikely to get the same second hand because of the spec you went for.
Well, lending cars out certainly raises interest because I’ve spent a couple of hours watching reviews, playing with the (flakey) configurator and generally researching MINI Clubman. And I have to say, one key thing had completely passed me by. The Clubman is intended to be. golf/Focus/A3 competitor. No wonder it felt spacious for a MINI! Not sure how I missed that, and I’m pretty interested and aware of cars. Is it just me? Or is that positioning not at all clear?
 MINI Clubman R55 - Courtesy car / test drive - DP
We love our Clubman. It's the Cooper D with the BMW 2.0 diesel tuned to 150PS. It goes well, and does 50 mpg consistently.

The remarkable thing for me is how much more refined the engine feels than it ever did in the F30 3 series I had. Its infinitely smoother, and much less gruff sounding when worked hard.

We didn't go mad with spec. Chili Pack and metallic paint only.

It's a great all rounder. Practical, lively, comfortable, fun to drive and reliable. We are delighted with it.
 MINI Clubman R55 - Courtesy car / test drive - rtj70
I'm surprised you missed that to be honest - they are large cars to be associated with MINI :-)

Probably about 10cm shorter than a Golf but looks longer because it is lower.

EDIT... My Google showed the Golf SV dimensions... Normal Golf very close to a MINI Clubman in length and width.

Personally I'd prefer the Golf. But it's not big enough for leg room in the rear.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 3 Jun 18 at 16:18
>> I'm surprised you missed that to be honest - they are large cars to be
>> associated with MINI :-)
>>

Haha yes, all MINIs are big, but I had not appreciated that the Clubman actually had a much longer wheelbase than the 5 door hatch. I’d assumed it was the same basic car, but with a slightly longer rear overhang. I assumed that just made it kind of supermini + sized, a bit like the 206/Clio estate rather than an actual Golf / Focus competitor. Must just be me :)

Anyway, they’re nice cars. And there are a couple available from stock with a spec vaguely similar to that that I’d order... ;)
Latest Forum Posts