Motoring Discussion > Learner drivers now allowed on motorway Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 27

Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - smokie
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44350285

I hope they teach them stuff like anticipation, lane discipline and not following too close. And not rubbernecking. :-)
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - VxFan
Unfortunately it's ultimately down to what the driving instructor teaches them.

Like any profession, some are better than others.
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - Robin O'Reliant
>> Unfortunately it's ultimately down to what the driving instructor teaches them.
>>
>>
>>
No, it's down to their character, their personality, and their interest in retaining what they have been taught and respecting it. No one is taught to run red lights, speed through a thirty limit at 60+ or drive two feet from someone's rear bumper on the motorway. But people still do.

Nobody will tell someone who struggles with maths or English that they must have had a crap teacher, but if they don't drive properly it must have been poor instruction.
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - commerdriver
>> Nobody will tell someone who struggles with maths or English that they must have had
>> a crap teacher, but if they don't drive properly it must have been poor instruction.
>>
Not really true, many modern parents have an idealised view of their little darlings behaviour and effort at school and initially will blame teachers for their offspring's poor results. My wife has seen some very chastened parents over the years who have complained and then been shown evidence of child's attitude & effort. Such delights as one 16 year old with a piece of work decorated with a drawing of part of the male anatomy.

Anyway having two now grown up sons who have been through the teenage driver stage, the danger comes from the "I know what I am doing, you are over cautious", thankfully they both survived this stage with the odd "told you so" moment from Dad.

Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - No FM2R
School and parents should be a team. It rather depends on the particular topic as to who has lead responsibility and who is reinforcement or example, but it is only most successful when the partnership is in place.

Sadly a rare thing these days and mostly, though not completely, it is the parents failing.

I don't think learning to drive is so different.

A different style of teaching (and therefore teacher) works for for different learner drivers, but if there isn't teaching and reinforcement/ example, its rarely going to go well.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 4 Jun 18 at 13:33
Teenage boys are more tricky in this regard, both my sons went into the learning to drive process convinced that all they needed to do was to turn up and the instructor would see that they were God'd gift to the motoring population of Britain and the realisation that this was not the case took them through the learning process, via passing at the second attempt and a year or two afterwards to get the true picture, Dad was obviously an old fogey who was over cautious etc etc.
They got through that and both now are reasonable drivers although in comparison I am still more cautious than either.
Daughter, as a driver as well as in general teenage terms, was much easier in our case, she passed test at first attempt within 6 months of turning 17.
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - No FM2R
I have little knowledge or experience of today's teenage boys beyond thinking that they get too close to my teenage girls.
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - Zero
I would far sooner learners learning on a motorway than arriving on one, on their own for the first time, 34 minutes after passing their test.
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - tyrednemotional
My son passed his test at first attempt (somewhat to my surprise, though he is hardly the boy- racer type).

I then paid his instructor for several extra lessons taking in a good set of the local motorways.
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - bathtub tom
I fail to see what the fuss is about. We've a bypass that consists of an NSL, two-lane (and sometimes three), dual carriageway with on and off slips, central crash barrier and no hard shoulder. Learners have always been allowed on there.

I do hope they teach them to use the entry slip to accelerate to a sensible speed. The number of times I've had to brake behind someone pootling down a slip road at 30-40MPH, and lane discipline. There was a discussion about this on local radio this morning and I was surprised by the number of people who routinely undertake lane hoggers.
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - R.P.
Welcome development. Must be accompanied by an approved instructor and be in a Dual (or Jewel as people increasingly say) control car.

My theory is that everyone should spend 12 months on a motorcycle before going anywhere near a car.
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - Runfer D'Hills
>> My theory is that everyone should spend 12 months on a motorcycle before going anywhere
near a car.

12 months?
Jings, that'd gie ye an awfy sair bum!
;-)
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - R.P.
You can get off once a month...you know to attend to other things !
>> My theory is that everyone should spend 12 months on a motorcycle before going anywhere
>> near a car.
>>
The problem with that is that the same young lads who cause chaos when they start driving but mainly survive, would be just as bad on bikes but without the same survival rate
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - VxFan
>> My theory is that everyone should spend 12 months on a motorcycle before going anywhere near a car.

Within 15 mins of my first driving lesson, my instructor asked if I rode a motorbike?

"Yes, how can you tell", I replied.

Simple, you have self preservation about you that most motorcyclists tend to have. e.g. even when you have right of way at junctions and traffic lights, you still look and proceed with caution.
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - CGNorwich
Surely no one with any sense of self preservation rides a motorbike.
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - Haywain
"Surely no one with any sense of self preservation rides a motorbike."

Well done, CG, you have spotted the Catch 22 conundrum i.e. no one with any sense of self-preservation rides a motorbike because not enough motorists out there have done their time on a motorbike.

I did my time on a motorbike - and this was spotted by the tutor on an advanced driving course at work.
Last edited by: Haywain on Tue 5 Jun 18 at 08:08
In the real world of cars and trucks though you have to be a little crazy to adopt such a inherently dangerous method of travel..

Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - Haywain
"you have to be a little crazy to adopt such a inherently dangerous method of travel.."

A former work colleague used to race a Yamaha R1, but he refused to ride a motorcycle on the road as he considered it far too dangerous. Much to my chagrin, my son (now 38 and old enough to know better), insists on riding around on a Honda NC30.

Last year, my wife's friend's B-max was written off when a driver who wasn't concentrating, missed a 'give way' sign. My wife's friend escaped shaken, but unharmed; a motorcyclist would have most-likely been killed.
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - Harleyman
>> In the real world of cars and trucks though you have to be a little
>> crazy to adopt such a inherently dangerous method of travel..
>>

One could level the same accusation at pedal cyclists and (perhaps more so) horse riders. I do take your point; I don't wish to appear patronising but it's a case of "if I had to explain, you wouldn't understand".

A good road on a good motorcycle is, quite simply, the best fun you can have without taking your clothes off.
but it's a case
>> of "if I had to explain, you wouldn't understand".

Oh I understand all right. Many years ago I had an Enfield Bullet and before that a Bantam before I bought a Mini. You had to be a bit crazy then and considerably more so now :-)
and before
>> that a Bantam

Was that when you were the singing postman?
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - Clk Sec
>> Was that when you were the singing postman?

Ah! Friend of Molly Windley, then...
>> >> Was that when you were the singing postman?
>>
>> Ah! Friend of Molly Windley, then...

Smokes loik a chimley, my littl nicotine gal
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - henry k
>>Simple, you have self preservation about you that most motorcyclists tend to have.

>> e.g. even when you have right of way at junctions and traffic lights, you still look and proceed with caution.

I unfortunately was the prime witness to a biker being a plonker and being injured.
The only time I have seen a serious accident and it happened just a few feet in front of me.
I was stationary at traffic lights at the white line and a biker appeared on my off side in a right turn only lane.
I guessed his/ her intention was to go straight ahead and then into the lane I was in.
As a non biker I did my usual " is it clear etc " and stayed put.
The biker did not appear to look and rode into the side of a van coming from the right who had I assume driven past a red light. The biker finished up several yards to the left of the junction.
I was at court but not called as a witness.

I have never wanted to ride a motorcycle but did learn a lot from thousands of miles on a " racing" bike
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - Harleyman
Indeed, and as most of us know that was usually the case before the introduction of the CBT, more complex testing, and the greater availability of cheap small cars. The result was that many of us grew up bike-aware, and since two generations have now passed spawning drivers who largely aren't, the situation can only worsen.

I do however remain convinced that the CBT was largely a force for good in motorcycling.

I too am in favour of the new legislation regarding learners on motorways. Even if the teaching standard is low it remains far better than having none at all.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 8 Jun 18 at 08:17
 Learner drivers now allowed on motorway - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> I do hope they teach them to use the entry slip to accelerate to a
>> sensible speed. The number of times I've had to brake behind someone pootling down a
>> slip road at 30-40MPH, and lane discipline. There was a discussion about this on local
>> radio this morning and I was surprised by the number of people who routinely undertake
>> lane hoggers.
>>

Bearing in mind the instructor is sitting beside them when they are on the sliproad you can bet your life they are taught to accelerate to a sensible speed. In my experience it is mostly those who have been driving for years (Flat cap, anyone?) who dawdle onto a motorway.

>> I was surprised by the number of people who routinely undertake
>> lane hoggers.

I dont routinely undertake lane hoggers, but I very often proceed at my chosen speed without deviating lanes* with traffic often to the right of me.

*mind I won't use lane one, its often rough and rutted from HGVs. Lane discipline is not really an issue, failure to use mirrors and have an appreciation of whats happening behind you and your role in it is the problem.

Latest Forum Posts