Motoring Discussion > Topless or cover up? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 7

Topless or cover up? - Bobby
For the last fortnight I have seen a new Mercedes soft top parking in the streets around my work and with our wonderful weather, car is parked up with the roof left down.

Now if I had a convertible, I would drive it as much as possible with roof down but I would NEVER leave it parked on a public street in Glasgow with the roof down.

Its obviously electric folding roof so no effort involved - is it a case of "look at me" or what? (Incidentally owner is guy who looks older than retirement age)

Any soft top owners out there? What did you do when parking?
 Topless or cover up? - Manatee
Close it. I used to leave the old one with the top down sometimes (supermarket for example) but it was a banger that wouldn't make anybody jealous.

In some areas they would use an open convertible as a litter bin I'm sure.

I rarely leave mine open on the drive either. Too many incontinent jackdaws. Boy can they poop.
 Topless or cover up? - smokie
I remember someone parking some open top car in the staff car park. Later that day the painters were up on scaffold or something to paint the rails. They dropped a whole can of silver paint into his car...
 Topless or cover up? - No FM2R
Vandalism is the main issue.

The car is no more nor less likely to be stolen and in fact I suspect less likely to be broken into, it being open and visible already.

It's the idiots and bitter & jealous that one has to worry about.

I have had several soft tops and mostly left them opened, more worried about rain than anything else.
 Topless or cover up? - PeterS
I’m selective.

Today the roof went down at 8 when I left for work, was left down in the office car park, when I went out for lunch and again for a drink after work. It went up again at about 8 this evening when I got home. But W Sussex is hardly a hotbed of crime. Why I don’t I put it up every time I park? It only takes 15/20 seconds after all. Not sure really; partly misplaced mechanical sympathy I guess; there’s a lot of mechanical activity. Partly the complete opposite of look at me - the action of putting up/down the roof attracts attention that’s not necessary. And partly laziness :) I leave it down if I pop out into Chichester at lunchtime, or to a supermarket. But if I was doing a weeks shop I probably wouldn’t. Would I leave it on the street in a city? Almost certainly not. And if there a chance of rain, it’ll always go up
 Topless or cover up? - Cliff Pope
Down.
Mindless impulse slashing was I recall a much greater risk than theft.
 Topless or cover up? - Kevin
A couple of years ago we walked into the car park at our local village pub to find a 3 Series ragtop struggling to reverse into a parking space (it's a very small car park with trees down one side). Eventually the guy managed it and sat there while he dropped the roof.

He wasn't a local, otherwise he might have wondered why it was the only space that was free and the ground was covered in pigeon poo.
 Topless or cover up? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Bat poo 🦇 is even worse than bird poo. There's a huge tree in the city centre of Cairns, Queensland, where the locals never park. The tourists only park there once...!
Latest Forum Posts