Motoring Discussion > Car dealers turntable Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 16

Car dealers turntable - Bobby
Looking on Autotrader there seems to be a substantial number of dealers now photographing their cars on some sort of turntable that i assume makes photographing easy, and consistent.

Have they all went out and bought these or is it a photography app that superimposes the cars onto this? Am surprised at the sheer volume of them!
 Car dealers turntable - Stuartli
It's for a photographic record collection.
 Car dealers turntable - Zero
Just taking the car for a spin.
 Car dealers turntable - John Boy
In the late eighties I wanted to show a car rotating on a turntable for the opening sequence of a promotional video. I was living in London at the time and thought it would easy to locate one in a showroom. Not so, they were nowhere as common as I thought.
 Car dealers turntable - Bromptonaut
>> In the late eighties I wanted to show a car rotating on a turntable for
>> the opening sequence of a promotional video. I was living in London at the time
>> and thought it would easy to locate one in a showroom. Not so, they were
>> nowhere as common as I thought.

There was one in the very small ground floor car park of an office I worked in between 1979 and 1984. IIRC there was also one on the Norwich Union Building which used to look over City Square in Leeds. My Uncle worked there in space leased to Post Office Telephones. Car park was on roof with a turntable. To turn cars around to enter lift to ground.

Some single ended Caledonian MacBrayne ferries serving very sparse routes still have them.
 Car dealers turntable - John Boy
It sounds as if those were flush with the ground. The one I found eventually was rectangular and about 4" from the ground. They must have needed some kind of ramp to get the cars onto it. It was at North City Autos somewhere in East London, dealing in Fiats at the time.
 Car dealers turntable - Robin O'Reliant
Zero might remember this from the 1960's. There was a dealer in Romford Road, Forest Gate called Bonallacs or some such spelling who their the used "Car of The Week" spinning on a turntable.
 Car dealers turntable - ChrisM
They were there until at least the early 80s. BMC dealer.

The wife of my brother's boss was a driver for them. She picked up 3 year old Marinas dirt cheap. They were covered in rust spots but were given a quick respray and sold on.
Ah the Romford road. Home for every east end used car shyster in the history of Arthur daily used car dealers, mile after mile of them. Every conceivable used car cliche was made into plastic letters and slapped on the inside of windscreens down there.

Don't think there was ever a place where there were so many cars for sale in one strip.
 Car dealers turntable - Lygonos
Need to go to Wales for that level of service now
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 11 Jun 18 at 18:37
 Car dealers turntable - CGNorwich
Seven Kings High Street would have run it close. Did you ever frequent the Alice?
 Car dealers turntable - Bromptonaut
>> Seven Kings High Street would have run it close. Did you ever frequent the Alice?

Pinner Road out towards North Harrow was another dodgy car sales strip. Couple of YHA group mates, both younger and more gullible than me, got punted a dodgy Dolomite Sprint apiece up there. One, with his g/f's mother's help, got his revenge at the County Court.
 Car dealers turntable - MD
Did you ever frequent the Pubs in Pinner Bromp?
 Car dealers turntable - Robin O'Reliant
>> Seven Kings High Street would have run it close. Did you ever frequent the Alice?
>>
I bought quite a decent Mk1 Cavalier from one of the Seven Kings traders when I lived there (Pembroke Road).

As for the Alice, I was a regular at the Irish club upstairs during the late seventies. Another old east end boozer that is no more.
>> >> Seven Kings High Street would have run it close. Did you ever frequent the
>> Alice?
>> >>
>> I bought quite a decent Mk1 Cavalier from one of the Seven Kings traders when
>> I lived there (Pembroke Road).
>>
>> As for the Alice, I was a regular at the Irish club upstairs during the
>> late seventies. Another old east end boozer that is no more.

My drinking days started in deepest rural Essex, having departed east London when I was 6
 Car dealers turntable - smokie
Romford Road is now I understand, full of seedy hotels, bordering on brothels. At least at the Stratford end.

I was brought up in Wanstead Park Ave, across the flats from Forest Gate but the Romford Road, Manor Park, East Ham and beyond were all my old stamping ground too. Along with Wanstead of course.

My first house was in Seven Kings (Westwood Road) in the 70s.
 Car dealers turntable - CGNorwich
My wife comes from Forest Gate. I used to quite often walk across the flats in the evening to get the last tube to Gants Hill from Wanstead. There were cows on the flats then.
Latest Forum Posts