Motoring Discussion > Land Rover Freelander - Viscous coupling and Transmission wind up Buying / Selling
Thread Author: MD Replies: 13

Land Rover Freelander - Viscous coupling and Transmission wind up - MD
My previous Shogun has gorn breasts up due to the ravages of the tin worm and I seek another 4x4 type to replace it. Ten year old Shoguns in sheeite order are making 7k. Older Pajero's and L200's are also almost rotted out too and I am left at a bit of a loss as to what to get to cart the dogs about and do a bit of country stuff.

Now I have always shied away from the Freelander due to too many mentions of the wind up issues via the viscous (or not) coupling and a lot that are for sale have had the rear prop disconnected under the ruse of improving fuel economy. Another advert that I spotted today actually said that the 4 wheel drive was 'still' connected, so clearly issues do abound.

However, a commercial vehicle mechanic that I met recently swears by them and has had several. Seemingly decent examples are available for the 2-3k mark, but probably nearer 2k.

Now confusion reigns. Has anyone ever had one/used one off road etc. All thoughts gratefully received as would other suggestions to fill the void. Budget up to 4K, but for that it would have to be very decent. Cheers to all.
 Land Rover Freelander - Viscous coupling and Transmission wind up - PeterS
Which shape is that MD? My bosses wife had a Freelander II for 6 or so years; it was an HSE diesel, but was regularly used for towing and off-road (he’s got a few thousand hectares of land...) and AFAIK it was pretty much faultless. Whilst I’m sure it wasn’t as good off road as his proper Range Rover, it certainly did did the job. Was replaced by an Evoque a couple of years ago.
I'm not sure about shape Peter, but it is the series 1 (BMW) running gear, but as far as I know the bad reports cover all series.

The mechanic I have caught up with has said that the complaints are not justified, but there are so many examples out there it's hard what to believe.

Another acquaintance has just returned a 14 plate Evoque stating that it was always being plagued with issues, lots of them electrical.
 Land Rover Freelander - Viscous coupling and Transmission wind up - No FM2R
I had a Freelander, and used it offroad.

Utterly utterly awful. Rubbish even.

What year are you considering?
Hi Mark. Up to 56 plate. Series 1 with bmw running gear not ford which I think they went to after 55/56
Well, I had experience of one.

On the road it was harsh, noisy and handled like you would expect a Land Rover to handle.

On the dirt it was incompetent, gutless, hopeless down hills, lost traction all the time and bits kept breaking. It will get stuck in a muddy field

It had an intermittent fault with the gearbox which they couldn't trace though that only made it more annoying, it had no capability to lose.

In all seriousness you couldn't give me one.

Other people, such as your mechanic, may have different experiences, but I hated it and everything about it.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 16 Jun 18 at 23:06
What about something like this?

I had one of these also, brilliant. What a Toyota used to be.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803295046541

Not my post code (rather obviously). (with it shortened, the PC doesn't show in the link)

I'm using a phone so I can't read the ad very well. But something kike tgat.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 17 Jun 18 at 19:57
 Land Rover Freelander - Viscous coupling and Transmission wind up - Lygonos
Colleague has a 61-plate Freelander 2 that hasn't had any significant off-road action, and is needing some Haldex gubbins for £750 or so, but I think has largely been fine otherwise.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201805166559956

5 grand for a 10-plate diesel Foz

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712101963683

58-plate petrol turbo for a little less

Automatic better for towing on the turbo petrol as it doesn't have a low range box (the non-turbo petrols do, however)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 17 Jun 18 at 00:09
 Land Rover Freelander - Viscous coupling and Transmission wind up - Duncan
Don't we all have personal no no's where cars are concerned?

I wouldn't buy a Land Rover because of the perceived reliability issues. (Right or wrong)

I wouldn't buy an Italian car for the same reason. I am old enough to remember the Lancia Beta.

I wouldn't buy a French car, because it's French.

Japanese yes, especially Toyota.

German yes.

Anyone else have bete noires?
 Land Rover Freelander - Viscous coupling and Transmission wind up - Old Navy
In my years old experience of Australian motoring the general consensus was Land Rovers are good off road, but if you want to get back (alive) buy a Toyota. You don't see many Land Rovers, and then only in urban areas.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 17 Jun 18 at 08:09
 Land Rover Freelander - Viscous coupling and Transmission wind up - sooty123
Anyone else have bete noires?
>>

Not many, just french cars really.
 Land Rover Freelander - Viscous coupling and Transmission wind up - Zero
Yeah, thats a Taliban motor, look at that gear lever, you could jack up a bus with that, and it's got a cradle for your old Nokia phone.

Land Rover Freelander - Viscous coupling and Transmission wind up - Runfer D'Hills
Not all of us would measure a car by it's potential effect on moving a bus...
 Land Rover Freelander - Viscous coupling and Transmission wind up - Zero
It's an important consideration. That Taliban Toyota would be good for you, the wheel rims are already toast
Latest Forum Posts