Motoring Discussion > Car sickness Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 33

Car sickness - Bobby
Ok hit me with your old wives tales of how to remove the smell of sick from the car?

After a late night SOS call last night, I know my car is going to be honking of sick when I open the doors today!
 Car sickness - R.P.
Get the honker to pay for a full valet !
 Car sickness - Runfer D'Hills
You can't get rid of it. My first decent car was a BMW 3 series a million years ago. My mate chucked up in the back after a night out when I was designated driver. Valeted three times but any hot day thereafter there was a lingering stink. I've have never fully forgiven him.

:-(
 Car sickness - Bobby
>>Get the honker to pay for a full valet !

That, ultimately, will be happening!
 Car sickness - sooty123
how to remove the smell of sick from the car?
>>

With fire.
 Car sickness - Duncan
Some time ago, Lady Duncan was driving with our nephew, her sister and one of sister's dogs in the car. Nephew was sick, the dog promptly proceeded to eat all the vomit - or as much as he could reach with his tongue.

You could let a dog loose in the car.
 Car sickness - smokie
I remember a mate taking delivery of a shiny new upper range Merc some years back and taking his Mrs out that same evening, when she drank too much red wine, which clearly her body rejected, and which never came fully out of the white leather upholstery.
 Car sickness - Duncan
>> I remember a mate taking delivery of a shiny new upper range Merc ............ the white
>> leather upholstery.
>>

I can't accept that.

An adult should be aware that they are going to be ill and either get the driver to pull over, or have the window open and hang their head out.
 Car sickness - sooty123
Drunk adults aren't always the best at making sensible decisions duncan, ask taxi drivers about it.
 Car sickness - smokie
It is possible Duncan. Twice when younger I've vomited unexpectedly, in a drunken stupor (sleep actually) after copious amounts of mixed alcohol (spirits and wine do it to me).

Once partly over SWMBO when a cough while asleep turned into an absolute torrent. She got some flowers out of it IIRC :-)

And once almost all over a mate in a tent in very similar circumstances - though only almost, as he wasn't as close as she was. :-)

I've mostly grown up now though. :-) I tend to stick with beer or cider.

Whatever, it was a true story. (Nothing to be gained from making it up really...)
 Car sickness - Duncan
I am not saying the anecdote is untrue.

I am saying that an adult, even drunk, should be sufficiently in control to be aware that they may well vomit in the near future and take some simple precautions.

Car sickness - Zero

>> aware that they may well vomit in the near future and take some simple precautions.
>>
Clearly you have never chucked up out of a moving car, a large amount flies back through the window onto your face.

Mind the wife managed to vomit a large quantity of red wine and mousaca out of the car window once. The dried lumps were the very devil to get off the paintwork the next day, and I don't think I ever fully got it out the door handle recesses
>>
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 17 Jun 18 at 13:01
 Car sickness - Fullchat
Meanwhile back to the dilemma in hand. :(
Its a case of trying to thoroughly wash the puke out of the material. Milton steralising fluid is pretty good. Smells like mild bleach.
Several good soakings. If you have a wet vac so much better. If not a good towel. Plenty of rinsing.
Advantage is that it is the right time of year to dry out the upholstery.
 Car sickness - CGNorwich
Probably worth paying for a professional service.

autocleanseuk.com/vehicle-interior-cleaning-services/
 Car sickness - Bromptonaut
>> Its a case of trying to thoroughly wash the puke out of the material. Milton
>> steralising fluid is pretty good. Smells like mild bleach.

Milton smells like mild bleach because that's exactly what it is. I ruined more than one piece of clothing with it when Miss B was being bottle fed. Stopped using it and bought a steam steriliser that went in the microwave.
 Car sickness - Duncan
>> Clearly you have never chucked up out of a moving car, a large amount flies
>> back through the window onto your face.

Sadly. That experience is missing from my C.V.

However. A female companion of mine was sick out of a coach window, only for a large percentage of the substance to come back in through a window further back in the coach. Happy days!
 Car sickness - Bobby
>>Clearly you have never chucked up out of a moving car, a large amount flies back through the window onto your face.

Going back a few years, a friend of mine vomitted whilst driving his Peugeot 306 in rush hour traffic on the M8. Immediate instinct was to put wipers on which obviously made no difference as the puke ran down the inside of the windscreen and ultimately into the demisting vents!
 Car sickness - Bromptonaut
>> I am saying that an adult, even drunk, should be sufficiently in control to be
>> aware that they may well vomit in the near future and take some simple precautions.

Mrs B has some issue where she very occasionally develops an odd hunger feeling followed pretty quickly by vomiting. Investigation says no physical cause; probably associated with her anxietyetc. Maybe a few minutes warning but not necessarily enough to find a place to stop and get out never mind if it happens while she's driving herself.

Car sickness - Duncan
>> Mrs B has some issue where she very occasionally develops an odd hunger feeling followed
>> pretty quickly by vomiting. Investigation says no physical cause; probably associated with her anxietyetc. Maybe
>> a few minutes warning but not necessarily enough to find a place to stop and
>> get out never mind if it happens while she's driving herself.

If she is aware that she has an issue, then as a mature, intelligent person, she will have had the foresight to have a strong waterproof shopping bag conveniently to hand to catch the discharge.

This should do the trick**

**Sun alert. People of a Scouse persuasion avert your gaze.

tinyurl.com/y7o7l789
 Car sickness - Bobby
>>An adult should be aware that they are going to be ill and either get the driver to pull over, or have the window open and hang their head out.

This 60+ adult was well aware that they were going to be sick but they were so completely drunk, that she had been poured into the back seat and was not in control of her upper body, never mind her head and neck!

I stopped and got one of the huge Lidl bag for lifes out the boot and most of it ended up in there but there were some "splashes" that landed on seat and mats.

To be fair, I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it actually was, drove home with four windows down and I could still smell the sick from the back seat but it must have been coming from the bag which was deposited at her front door when she got out!
 Car sickness - sooty123
Sagalouts eh? ;-)
 Car sickness - PeterS
I’d be inclined to ask a taxi driver...they’ll have seen (and smelt...) it all!
 Car sickness - Runfer D'Hills
I think if I knew someone in their 60s who was daft enough to get so drunk they were that incapable, I'd not be letting them into my car. If there was some sort of moral/family obligation to help I'd have called them a taxi at best.
 Car sickness - No FM2R
Ditto.
 Car sickness - legacylad
Quite. I don’t think I’ve ever had anyone travel in any car of mine who has been incapable through drink. Plenty of slightly inebriated people over the years, even some quite pi**ed people in my youth when it was my turn to drive.
But totally s*** faced. Never. Taxi or stay where you are.
I’ve only ever puked once on transport....I was 16yo and on the top of a double decker bus in Bradford. Fortunately before video cameras. Never touched cider since. A shameful episode of which I am not proud.
 Car sickness - sooty123
Can't say I have carried many that far gone in my car, a fair few in works vehicles normally after a work do. But then it's not my car, so not too concerned beyond getting them back where they needed to be.
 Car sickness - smokie
I'm sure none of you have ever experienced how fresh air can suddenly make a quite sober-seeming person into a complete wreck. It does happen though.

Car sickness - sooty123
Better known as the fresh air sniper.
 Car sickness - sherlock47
Only twice, once in my youth, when rum, blackcurrant and chips were discovered to not be a sensible mixture. The owner of the then luxury car ( in 1964) , with electric windows, claimed that for months afterwards every time the nsf window came back up, it was smeared with an evil smelling stain!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Mon 18 Jun 18 at 09:16
 Car sickness - BiggerBadderDave
I never vomited on the night (that I know of), I was always a hangover-vomiter. So you could always drive me home, just don't drive me to work the next day.

Ex-wife once had a Christmas party and the next day we had to drive north to see the family. She had the urge to throw up on the M1 and all she had to hand was the copy of Vogue she was reading. Of course she ejected parcels of Vogue-wrapped vomit out of the window at 70mph.

But I remember reading a long time ago that you can clean anything in a car, except milk. Spill a bottle of that and it's time to change the car.
 Car sickness - smokie
You've forgotten my creosote incident then :-)
 Car sickness - VxFan
>> You've forgotten my creosote incident then :-)

No, that's preserved in our minds forever ;)
 Car sickness - bathtub tom
Colleague was driving several of us home after a boozy lunchtime do and front seat passenger decided to spew. Rear window was fortunately closed as he upchucked out the window, all down the side of the car.
Driver told us next day that he went to get the hose out as soon as he got home, but by the time he was ready to wash the car, birds were pecking the 'diced carrot' off it. He left them for half-an-hour, by which time most of it had gone.
 Car sickness - No FM2R
There are some limits we all have to find out for ourselves, and the laws around alcohol consumption and its implications are certainly some of them.

Last time I got puking drunk I was around 21, I think. Certainly less than 25. The last, and I think only, time my puking involved a car was down the side of my own car [from the passenger seat] on my way home from my 21st. I think that might actually be the last time I got vomit-y through booze.

To get to 60+ and not have learned yet is stunning. The alternative of getting to 60+ and not caring enough to manage is perhaps worse.

I have not achieved the same state of nirvana with hangovers.
Latest Forum Posts