Motoring Discussion > Stunning UK Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 38

Stunning UK - Fullchat
Yesterday myself and a mate took a ride up to North Yorkshire - and a little while in Lancashire :( 300 miles in total.

Helmsley, Thirsk, Masham, Leyburn, Reeth, Tan Hill, Buttertubs, Hawes, Ingleton, Devils Bridge(Kirby Lonsdale), Dent, Hawes, Buckckden, Grassington, Pateley Bridge, Knaresborough and home.

A little heavy on traffic at times. But what impressed me the most was how absolutely stunning the scenery looked in the bright sunshine with blue skys. Seen it all before many times but yesterday it just looked magnificent.

If we had more consistent decent weather why would anyone want to go abroad?

Stunning UK - CGNorwich
For different cultures, people, scenery, food, music, architecture different perspective on the world and a natural sense of curiosity I guess.
 Stunning UK - legacylad
Two weeks ago myself and an outdoor magazine editor chum spent 5 days backpacking in the Lakes. Far too hot for carrying packs laden with tent, food, stove etc and camping wild, so we used basecamps at Pooley Bridge ( Waterside) and Patterdale ( Side Farm).
This weekend my walking group completed another 40 miles between Alston & Bellingham along the Pennine Way, with a section by Hadrian’s Wall, staying Friday and Saturday at the Centre of Britain hotel in Haltwhistle, using Diamond Taxis to shuttle us from start / finish points.
Both trips were simply glorious and I wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere else in the world
Fullchat...hope you enjoyed a bacon sandwich at Devils Bridge...we go to KL for an afternoon on the pop every few months on the bus from Settle. Lovely small market town ( just not as nice as Giggleswick chez LL)
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 16 Jul 18 at 12:49
 Stunning UK - Fullchat
Too hot to eat LL but that could have been something to do with the Hawes Fish & Chips.

Plenty of folk taking advantage of swimming in the river.
 Stunning UK - Zero

>> If we had more consistent decent weather why would anyone want to go abroad?

We don't, so we do. Weather is turning crap next week, just about the time I am off on an Adriatic Cruise.
 Stunning UK - CGNorwich
Never tried a cruise. Have always feared it would be everything I dislike in a holiday. Have you done one before? Perhaps I should try one some time.
 Stunning UK - Manatee
>> Never tried a cruise. Have always feared it would be everything I dislike in a
>> holiday.

Same here. I had a whim to go to the Faroes recently when I saw a cruise going there, but then I saw it was 14 days - nearly long enough to get both scurvy and cabin fever.

I enjoyed two crossings on the Harwich-Hook ferry a couple of weeks ago; cabins have come on a bit since we use to do Portsmouth-Cherbourg with Townsend Thoresen. That will suffice for this year.
 Stunning UK - Zero
>> Never tried a cruise. Have always feared it would be everything I dislike in a
>> holiday. Have you done one before? Perhaps I should try one some time.

Yes I have done one before. You need to chose your cruise to suit your needs and likes. I have chosen a smallish boat* and an itinerary with night at sea, day ashore different place every day for 7 days.

Think of it as a Los Vegas Hotel that a: moves around and b: really visits the places, not themes them.

This cruise was chosen so that on the morning of our 30th wedding anniversary we are sailing into the Venice lagoon passing by San Marco and San Giorgio Maggiore *smallish boats only allowed these days.

The day after is Trieste, a wonderful city.

We work it so we consume a modest amount of aperitif, meet different people every night for dinner, (ive requested captains table for Anniversary so need to take DJ) watch the shows (actually very good) and maybe a little blackjack at the tables.

In comparison, I have booked a cottage in Whitby in September, overlooking the harbour (Dracula Abbey side).

We have three holidays a year, two abroad for sun, one in the UK for the dog.
 Stunning UK - Bobby

>>We have three holidays a year, two abroad for sun, one in the UK for the dog.

We were in Nerja in May and got Rome in Sept.

We are both off next week, this was our dog week where we would have went away to a cottage for lots of walking and chilling and spoiling the dog. Except of course, he passed away back in May.

Still not got anything arranged for next week. We both know, without saying, that if we go anywhere in UK we are just going to spend a week missing the dog and saying how much he would have enjoyed wherever we ended up.

Hoped to see a drop in last minute foreign holidays but doesn’t seem to be the case.

If all else fails, we can just go out to my relatives villa in Bulgaria but were there last year and fancied a change this year!
 Stunning UK - Bobby
>>If all else fails, we can just go out to my relatives villa in Bulgaria but were there last year and fancied a change this year!

well this option won. Fly out on Sunday, just checked the forecast which is for thunderstorms from Monday to Thursday.....
 Stunning UK - henry k
I have done the abroad bit for well over half a century.
Some due work but the rest with SWMBO including 20+ years plus son ad daughter.

Never done any snow stuff or walking as it was not a option for us.
Plan was to see the UK in retirement as we have seen very little.
SWMBO's health has scuppered all plans. Just the luck of the draw.
 Stunning UK - Manatee
>> Plan was to see the UK in retirement as we have seen very little.
>> SWMBO's health has scuppered all plans. Just the luck of the draw.

That's sad Henry, and happens to plenty unfortunately.

A pal of mine retired at 51 on a modest pension rather than working on, because his own father became too ill at 60 really to enjoy life, and died at 65. Same friend is now a bit older than that but has Parkinson's like his father, and doesn't regret the last 15 years at all.

I thought I was a goner in February, only months after properly embarking on retirement. Fortunately I have regained much of my heart function for now so I am getting on with it while I can.
 Stunning UK - legacylad
Those of us fortunate enough to be in reasonably good health often take it for granted. I grumble about my arthritic hip ( lots of painkillers and low humidity required to help me in my outdoor pursuits!) and bad back which occasionally curtails everything.
Personal experience with elderly relatives tells me that as you grow older your needs, health wise apart, become fewer. My 92yo Mum never spends all her income...state pension, disability allowance, then free bus pass, TV licence and annual fuel allowance far exceeds her outgoings. Plus a minuscule private pension. My 99yo aunt was the same.
Myself and friends, including ex’s ( but not at the same time) now take her to a lovely villa twice a year out of season (2x2 weeks) which she pays for. She thinks it great to be helped through airports, chauffeured into the mountains for lunch and pushed home in a wheelchair at night by a wobbly bunch of drunks.
 Stunning UK - R.P.
We tripped out to Anglesey today. Rained when we got there (we were committed on a walk) got wet, but at least the rain was warm. Dined like kings at a first rate TexMex place for £6.00 for a burger, chips and a beer (thanks to Groupon)...home now for a brew and home made biccies...what more does one want ?
 Stunning UK - legacylad
I walked the Anglesey Coast Path about ten years ago...my walking companion wrote an article on it whilst deputy editor of TGO magazine. It was spectacular in many places, and no rain all week.
 Stunning UK - R.P.
Ours was a calculated risk based on weather forecasts which were pretty way out. Still could have been worse. Funniest thing ever was the Working Cocker sprinting back to the car because of the rain...this dog has been swimming and paddling in rivers for the last 2 months whilst the sun shone...!
 Stunning UK - bathtub tom
I've strolled the coast path to Porth Wen bay, wonderful views. It was the one, short, dry spell of a week in Anglesey. Got soaked on the way back and couldn't get dry all week!
 Stunning UK - MD
With which company Zeddo?
 Stunning UK - Zero
Tui for the cruise, Hoseasons for the cottage
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 17 Jul 18 at 20:08
 Stunning UK - Haywain
" just about the time I am off on an Adriatic Cruise."

Did that one in 2012 with Thomson (Majesty) before they became TUI. Very enjoyable with plenty of walking opportunities; despite mountains of food, I always lose weight on a cruise.
 Stunning UK - Lygonos
First cruise we did was similar - Splendour of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) about 20 years ago.

Venice - Athens - Kusadasi (Turkey) - Crete - Corfu - Venice iirc

The highlights for me were the ruins of Ephesus at Kusadasi and Knossos' palace in Crete.

Ship still lives as the Marella Discovery - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marella_Discovery
 Stunning UK - Zero
We are on Marella Celebration, been on it before, it's just the right size for us. One of the ports of call is Bar, WTF do you do in Bar!!!!
 Stunning UK - legacylad
For a different kind of cruising I recommend SCIC. A Dutch based gulet operator whom I travelled with recently. Being Dutch they have a cross section of nationalities as passengers, which is what attracted me, rather than being with fellow Brits. On my trip there were two Dutch girls, a South African couple and three Turks. All inclusive, unlimited booze, under sail whenever possible, and amazing food eaten aft on deck.
Operating mainly out of Turkey, we sailed from Gocek, they sail along the coast, with longer trips including the Greek islands. Every AM you discuss with the captain what the passengers prefer to do...sail for longer periods, or drop anchor in various quiet coves. Lots of swimming, snorkelling, kayaks, and sleep on deck under the stars if you so choose. Which I did every night.
Diving overboard and doing laps around the gulet as the sun came up was fantastic fun.
 Stunning UK - Bobby
Its maybe about 3 years since we last stayed in a hotel, much preferring villas (which are often cheaper)

I don't think we could now be annoyed with sharing a hotel with a load of other people which probably means that we could never go on a cruise either!
 Stunning UK - CGNorwich
"WTF do you do in Bar!!!!"

Apparently the highlight is a visit to the oldest olive tree in Europe - over 2,000 years old apparently. A bargain too as as it only only cost 2 euros

Enjoy.

Stunning UK - Lygonos

>>a visit to the oldest olive tree in Europe

A mere sapling perhaps compared to the Fortingall Yew in Perthshire

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortingall#The_yew_tree

Stunning UK - CGNorwich
Amazing to think that was a mere sapling when ON was born :-)
 Stunning UK - helicopter
2000 years old is not even close to being the oldest olive tree in Europe....

Vouves in Crete boasts a 3000 year old tree which is a Greek national monument.
 Stunning UK - Zero
>> 2000 years old is not even close to being the oldest olive tree in Europe....
>>
>> Vouves in Crete boasts a 3000 year old tree which is a Greek national monument.
>>

And I'm sure its just as unexciting as its younger sibling in Bar.
 Stunning UK - Old Navy
>> And I'm sure its just as unexciting as its younger sibling in Bar.

This reminds me of the multitude of Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and other aincent ruins I have visited in many countries over the years. Eventually they all blur into assorted piles of dusty rocks. Petra is next on the list, I am actually looking forward to that one, especially having seen a documentary recently about how it was built, supplied with water, and the city that the treasury was part of.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 5 Aug 18 at 19:45
 Stunning UK - sooty123
. Petra is next on the list, I am actually looking forward to
>> that one, especially having seen a documentary recently about how it was built, supplied with
>> water, and the city that the treasury was part of.
>>

Make sure you give your self a full day, There's lots and lots of walking. Worth it though, it's very interesting.
 Stunning UK - helicopter
At least you do not have to pay to see the tree at Vouves and there is an interesting museum and a decent taverna next door.

It is huge, hollow in the centre and still producing lots of olives .

The winners garlands for the last Athens Olympics were made from its branches.
 Stunning UK - Fullchat
Following on from our Yorkshire Dales trip last weekend saw a short notice and bucket list motorcycle trip north of the border to Scotland. Forecast was predicted as good Thur Fri but changing Sat Sun and Mon
Thursday was a late start to a pre-booked guest house in Jedburgh. Lovely town but some tumbleweed rolling around in the streets after dark.
Friday saw us heading for Inverness via Braemar, topping out on Glenshee and then back down via Grantown-on-Spey.
Early hours of Saturday we were awoken to a heavy rainstorm and breakfast saw us peering out into heavy rain and considering our options. Whatever the choice it was a 2 day ride home.
Our intention was to take the A890 to Fort William with a visit to Applecross but now we considered the A82 along the Loch sides straight to Fort William.
As we loaded the bikes the rain came to a stop and Plan A was the choice which turned out to be the right one. The Applecross road across the top was beautiful but other numpties in cars made it a nightmare. Why stop on the outer edge of a hairpin and start flashing your lights for a motorcycle to come through? We need the outer route!!
Leaving Applecross on the flat route saw the first heavy rain. 'Its just a shower' Err no! By the time you decide to put the waterproofs on, which is a bit of a performance, its too late - soaked :)
Rode briefly onto Skye just to say we had and then continued towards Fort William on the A87. Wow! What a road, bend after bend and little traffic. Having not pre booked accomodation we hah not factored in the fact that a Marathon was being run over the weekend. Never the less we secured a cancellation. Bus Stops don't look comfortable.
The night in Fort William again saw heavy rain which had stopped and dried out by the morning when we set off for Mull and Tobermory taking the longer scenic route via Loch Shiel.
Sat in the sun in Tobermory a conversation eluded to the fact that although we had ferry tickets we should pre book our place on the ferry to Oban is it was busy. A telephone call revealed that all places were booked up however they could squeeze to bikes on the next one if we could get there. A spirited ride achieved this. :o.
The night was spent in Oban. We had hoped for Dunoon to catch the Gourock ferry first thing but it was a bit ambitious so Oban it was.
Next morning an early start for home via Gourock and onto Dumfries then home. Just under 400 miles. Soon as we got off the ferry the increase in traffic was noticeable and it became quite heavy for the remainder of the journey :(
So overall. Wow what a journey! The scenery was stunning. Around every bend was a different vista. The roads were overall in superb condition and excellent riding roads. Other traffic was minimal with a good percentage of the vehicles being European tourists. For peak holiday season it seemed relatively quiet.
Oh and best of all there appeared to be little Police activity in the Western Highlands with good progress achievable. (Hope I don't have to eat those words). Having done Germany and Austria Scotland has it all and more. Of course that is all weather dependent. Scotland we will be back.
 Stunning UK - Old Navy
>> Having done Germany and Austria Scotland has it all and more. Of course that is all weather
>> dependent. Scotland we will be back.
>>

That is my back yard, glad you enjoyed it. The Police are spread very thin. :-)

Another route to try is up one side, across the top, and down the other.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 4 Aug 18 at 13:38
 Stunning UK - tyrednemotional
>>The Police are spread very thin.
>>

...many years ago, I spent some time on the North Coast, and happened to be in the Cape Wrath Hotel when the shutters on the bar came down bang on the (then pan-Scotland) 10pm closing time. Absolutely no chance of getting a top-up to sup in drinking-up time.

So, next night, expecting a similar experience, a round was bought at 9.55pm in anticipation........Even at 10:20 drinks were still being served (by the same barman as the previous evening).

I tackled him on this, and his reply went something like this:

"The police are very strict about licensing hours up here; If they catch you they will apply the appropriate penalties without fear or favour. However, we have one policeman that covers thousands of square miles, and if he is (due to be) in our area at a particular time, we get a mysterious 'phone call. Last night, we got one of those calls, but tonight........"

I seem to remember last-orders was called sometime around 11.
 Stunning UK - Zero
Back in the 70s I used to go to a boozer in the City of London, which had different licensing laws to " London " closing earlier in the evening. Supposedly anyway, last orders were called at 21:25, two City of London coppers wandered in, took off their funny helmets, and there was a lock-in till 2300.
 Stunning UK - Fullchat
ON Is that what has become the North Coast 500 (NC500) ?
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 4 Aug 18 at 15:02
 Stunning UK - Pat
It is Fullchat, it's the route we took a couple of years ago on holiday, but in the car.

You would love it on your bike though:)

Pat
 Stunning UK - Old Navy
Yes, we were up there about the same time as Pat, went up the East, via Inverness and Wick, across the top and down to Ullapool, then across to Inverness by the senic route via Poolewe, down the great glen to Fort William, and back to the central belt through Glencoe. I used to drive regularly from Glasgow to Kyle of Lochalsh, a couple of times a month, all year round for several years. The Glen Shiel (A87) road is fabulous. I have seen Loch Loyne and Loch Garry frozen, that weather makes for an interesting drive!
Latest Forum Posts