Motoring Discussion > M4 J14 to Esher. Mon 30 JUL 1800 dep. Best route ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 22

M4 J14 to Esher. Mon 30 JUL 1800 dep. Best route ? - henry k
Date and time are fixed.
These days I have no idea re traffic levels.

My normal route options
The obvious M4 M25, M3 Sunbury, Hampton Court, if all is running freely.
Else M4 to Langley, A4 , past LHR T5, Staines, Sunbury, Hampton Court.

M4, Bracknell, M3 to Sunbury etc is the least mileage.

I suspect that by the time I get to the M25 area traffic will have reduced.
I am very familiar with options from LHR to home.

So any advice welcomed.
Last edited by: henry k on Mon 23 Jul 18 at 16:19
 M4 J14 to Esher. Mon 30 JUL 1800 dep. Best route ? - Zero
Done it a fair bit, Always for me (because m25 a/c 15-11 is a no no) it would be (assuming you still live at Hinchley Wood)

M4 to J10
M329/A322 Bracknell to M3 j3
M3 to Sunbury Cross
A308 to Hampton Court Bridge.

You know the way from there.

M4 J14 to Esher. Mon 30 JUL 1800 dep. Best route ? - Duncan
The satnav on the MB has 'traffic'. Yellow cars for slow moving, red cars for stationary. If the icons are yellow, then I stick to the motorways. If red, come off and use the back routes.

I have done it so many times that I would rather sit in slow moving traffic on the M25, than come off and do all the stop-start of suburban routes.

Yer pays yer money.....
Thanks for the local info.
I will transit Bracknell.
>> Thanks for the local info.
>> I will transit Bracknell.

You're doomed!

Doomed I tell you!
 M4 J14 to Esher. Mon 30 JUL 1800 dep. Best route ? - wotspur
I live in Weybridge and travel extensively, least you’re going against the flo of traffic and at a reasonable time , I’d reckon 60-90 minutes would be needed
IF you don’t like motorways , I have gone from Reading to Camberley , then the A30 to Sunningdale turn right towards Virgina water
I dislike motorways at certain times cause a small accident can lead to 2hrs waiting
If you don’t mind motorways I’d definitely do M4 A329 , but no matter where I’ve been I rarely if ever do the M3 to M25 section . I always head towards Cobham , Fairoaks airfield and then via Addlestone and Home .
It might take longer but you’ll always be moving and have alternative routes should there be a delay
 M4 J14 to Esher. Mon 30 JUL 1800 dep. Best route ? - nice but dim
Question for local people?

What is the traffic on M25 from J9 clockwise to M1 on Saturday afternoon like in general?

I'm working over Friday night (Epsom) and returning home Saturday and debating what time to set off home, leave it until later (not ideal) or set off at 1pm?
 M4 J14 to Esher. Mon 30 JUL 1800 dep. Best route ? - Bromptonaut
Not local but my own impression from several recent journeys M20>M40 and M1/M40 to/from Gatwick is that the western section from the M3 past Heathrow to the M40 can jam up at pretty much anytime of day.
 M4 J14 to Esher. Mon 30 JUL 1800 dep. Best route ? - smokie
Others would know better but I'd say 1pm is better than later on a Saturday. At least you miss the people out "for the day". Certainly later on Sundays the whole thing can jam up.
Went through j15 to 11 one afternoon last week at 1300, it was at a standstill.
Weekday? often seems worse but there's nothing predictable about the M25 so I always expect the worst.

I do rely on Google and other satnavs to tell me where there is traffic and take me away from the worst of it. But I had a massive off-motorway detour from the M25 last Friday (north, anti clockwise) which I don't think saved much except maybe a few nerves. I saw lots of towns and countryside I'd never seen before though, and I was in no real rush... (one of the many joys of retirement!!)
Cycled over and under it a number of times today.

Traffic flowing freely.

By 'eck, it's noisy though!
 M4 J14 to Esher. Mon 30 JUL 1800 dep. Best route ? - wotspur
M25 Junc 9 to M1 Should be fairly easy ( about an hour) but I suppose it’s the first Sat after all schools have broken up and so it might be heavier ( quick tip ) come off at A41 in towards Watford , there are 3 garages , Asda Sainsbury’s and Shell , nearly always cheaper than anywhere else in London.......then carry on A41 and easy junction to rejoin the M1 north , often the real M25/m1 is awful , as people slow down to 50 to go around a slight bend then speed back up to 70 aaaargh , if the road is empty why slow down so much
>> Question for local people?
>>
>> What is the traffic on M25 from J9 clockwise to M1 on Saturday afternoon like
>> in general?

should be fine,
The fact is that traffic flow can vary from

"Huh, what's all the fuss about"?

to

"Oh! Woe, woe and thrice times woe! It's not moving at all, we're going to be here for hours and hours!!

You just don't know - get the help you can - a satnav with traffic, listen to local radio - BBC is quite good, Traffic England:-

www.trafficengland.com/traffic-alerts

Oh, and praying, it won't do any good at all, but why not?
A jam can also build up or clear very quickly,. as I'm sure we are all aware.

Someone posted a motorway traffic flow simulation thing on here ages ago which was amusing for a few minutes. Can't find it now.
 M4 J14 to Esher. Mon 30 JUL 1800 dep. Best route ? - No FM2R
www.traffic-simulation.de/
That's one, although there was another which had on and off ramps.

Thanks for that, another late night then :-)

EDIT it's th same one, it's all on the clicks at the top of the right column
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 26 Jul 18 at 00:12
 M4 J14 to Esher. Mon 30 JUL 1800 dep. Best route ? - No FM2R
Smokie, it has different road layouts, click on the appropriate picture and it'll change.
Thanks, see above :-)
>> www.traffic-simulation.de/

simulate junctions 2/3 mile apart, which is what jams up M25 c/w at M3-j11
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 26 Jul 18 at 04:19
 M4 J14 to Esher. Mon 30 JUL 1800 dep. Best route ? - martin aston
Re satnav and radio traffic, we came through the M4/Bracknell/M3 route a couple of weeks ago. I used to take it twice a day for commuting (albeit a few years ago) without many issues. This time however it was horrendous. The main 329 was shut by barriers with no prior warning signs and no diversion shown. It took an hour to get between motorways.

The usually relable satnav, and radio, both failed to report it. I always assumed these were both highly autimated services but maybe their human minders had taken the afternoon off to watch the World Cup Final?

Hopefully all will be well on Monday for henry.
>> >> Thanks for the local info.
>> >> I will transit Bracknell.
>>
>> You're doomed! Doomed I tell you!
>>
The best plans.......
" Date and time are fixed."

The date and start time for me were fixed, however the completion time was two hours late.
With no views outside the building, no personal access to the time and no clocks to view I was more than taken aback by the time when I eventually emerged.

So the trip there and back via Bracknell was less than an hour each way. Thanks again.
50 mph signs from Sunbury til NSL at the M25. Absolutely no idea why. Somethings are still the same.

Just a little explanation re my visit.
I volunteered for a batch of medical tests, assessments, measurements, various MRI scans, bone scans etc. Hence no watch, phone etc. Overall quite an experience.
The overall cost of fitting out the non hospital building on an industrial site ,two MRI scanners plus staffing this and other sites for 4/5 years use must be vast and all purely non NHS for research but the data is available to approved access by the world .
IIRC the aim is about 100K volunteers still to come but all from those already existing on the database.
Latest Forum Posts