Motoring Discussion > LV=, it was nice knowing you Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 37

LV=, it was nice knowing you - Manatee
I have been happy with the service from LV= with whom we insure 2 cars and a house, but the latest renewal offer on the Outlander was a tweak too far, from £376 last year to £424 - by far the biggest increase while I have stayed with them.

Quote Me Happy (Aviva) came in at £256 after £40 multicar discount (the MX-5 is already with them), same cover and a slightly lower excess.

Worth a try if LV= over-tweaks you too. QMH don't charge admin fees either. They aren't on all of the comparison sites.

LV=, it was nice knowing you - Fullchat
My BMW GS Adventure policy is due for renewal tomorrow. I'm with Hastings at present

These are the figures I have obtained:

Renewal Letter from Hastings - £142.79
Compare the Market - Hastings - £113.40
The Bike Insurer - Hastings - £100.90

Same policy, same parameters. Some disparity!
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - R.P.
The Tiger and the Scrambler cost me 180 notes via L&V - the premium actually came down as a quote, when I told them I'd changed job, they charged me a little more, net reduction was £1.50 !

What kind of GSA ? an LC ? (I need to know ;-) )
Triple black LC GSA :)) Rob.

Rang LV but they were about £250. Wanted to know about other products with themselves which at this point in time I dont have. That may hve extracted a cheaper quote.
I nearly went back to the brand last weekend with a GS850 - I miss my TripleBlack GS oilhead.

Are you on the UKgser site ? Subscription is well worth the info and kit on there
I am. Same name. Still need to subscribe. :)
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - CGNorwich
Glad you got a good quote but the name of the company concerns me. Does it mean quote me and make me happy, in which case it should say so; The grammar is appalling.

Perhaps it's an instruction to somone called "Happy" i.e Quote me, Happy! but why the capitalisation?

I couldnt trust a company with that name :-)
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - maltrap
I've switched both of our policies to Direct Line.

Worth getting a quote, they're not on search engines.
My capitalisation of course and I think their trading style is actually Quotemehappy.com

Is the smiley because you work/ed for the Norwich Onion?
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - DP
My multicar policy with Aviva has jumped from £680 to £820 this year. No claims, or other obvious reason for it. 30 seconds on comparison sites has knocked £70 off this with two separate policies, so it looks like I'll be on the move this year, and back to two separate policies elsewhere.
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - FuzzyDuck
Strangely my Aviva renewal price has dropped from £223 to £208, NCB was already maxed out so pleasantly surprised.
>> Strangely my Aviva renewal price has dropped from £223 to £208, NCB was already maxed
>> out so pleasantly surprised.
>>

I'm maxed on NCB as well.

I did have a thought - we had a spate of vandalism in our area last Halloween. 35 cars in the area damaged by kids with sharp objects and size 10s, a a few of which were in our street/postcode. I wonder if that's the reason behind it.
I did once work for the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society Ltd but that was 45 years ago in an era when companies had proper names! They were a good company to work for if a little paternalistic by modern standards

I did actually use to work in in the Motor Department. It was a differenct era then with hand written cover-notes and a lot of business done at the counter.
"Proper Names"

You're right. Passed a little white van with a made up name on it, not even pronounceable (it was, I assume English)
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - No FM2R
Wracking my deteriorating brain, did it have "Ltd" in its name in the 70s?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 31 Jul 18 at 16:50
Yes the Fire Insurance Society was a wholly owned subsidiary of Norwich Union Life Insurance Society which was not a limited company but a mutual society established in 1720.
Actually 1797. I was thinking of Royal Exchange Assurance, another one of my early employers.
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - Crankcase
Having had a very good experience when claiming from LV earlier this year, I was prepared to pay a little more at renewal if required, when it came to it. In the event, their written renewal price was in fact cheaper than anyone else I was prepared to consider on the comparison sites, especially as none of the cheaper ones offered quite such a good policy anyway.

Going online and getting another quote from the LV website directly was a tenner less, which they happily took off my written quote anyway. So for me, this year they have my business, and I'm pretty sure if I have to claim again on anything, they will be good at it.

I've changed my car this year, and ended up paying about three quid more than last. So a bit hard to compare directly with last time. However, my excess has come down, unasked, from £100 to nothing.

Can't ask for more really.
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - Old Navy
This might be worth a read, insurance swaps may be within the same company.

www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/2007/08/who-owns-your-insurer.html
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - PeterS
>> Having had a very good experience when claiming from LV earlier this year, I was
>> prepared to pay a little more at renewal if required, when it came to it.
>> In the event, their written renewal price was in fact cheaper than anyone else I
>> was prepared to consider on the comparison sites, especially as none of the cheaper ones
>> offered quite such a good policy anyway.
>>

LV were outstanding when it came to our recent claim... car recovered, assessed, written off and money in the bank within a week.

The renewal premium (January) was only a few pence more than the previous year. More surprisingly, despite the car being written off the policy wasn’t cancelled. We had 60 days to transfer cover to a new car, though as it turned out they extended that by a week and they’re covering the MINI Clubman Cooper S for an additional £55 for the year (On a premium that was originally under £300). That’s a lot less than I expected because the car has 77 BHP more, cost not far off twice as much, and one of the drivers (not me) had just written off a brand new car insured by them!

>> LV were outstanding when it came to our recent claim.

They've been good for us too when we have had to have any dealings (last when herself rammed a dawdler up the stern at a roundabout in 2014), and I have stuck with them on two cars despite their prices being a bit over the odds since then.

They all titrate the premiums upwards, it's the loyal customers who keep them afloat and I don't hold it against them, but there comes a point when it's cheeky - £376 to £424 when a reputable competitor is at £296 (before knocking £40 off for the two cars) is beyond that point. And LV='s quote included multi-car discount too.
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - PeterS

>> They all titrate the premiums upwards, it's the loyal customers who keep them afloat and
>> I don't hold it against them, but there comes a point when it's cheeky -
>> £376 to £424 when a reputable competitor is at £296 (before knocking £40 off for
>> the two cars) is beyond that point. And LV='s quote included multi-car discount too.
>>

So far LV haven’t ramped the premium on the three cars we’ve got insured with them; the house/contents premium is up about 10% over the same 5 years though, but I’m happy enough with that. Having heard the nightmare some people have with claims, both in terms of time taken to resolve and difficulty in extracting fair value, from other insurers I’d happily pay the £50!! Though, ours doesn’t cost 50% more than the competition. Well, it doesn’t at the moment. Let’s see what the renewal comes in at in January...
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - Mapmaker
Crumbs. I pay £500-600 for my Accord (which is 13 years old...). The joys of London living, I guess.
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - Bromptonaut
>> Crumbs. I pay £500-600 for my Accord (which is 13 years old...). The joys of
>> London living, I guess.

Could be worse, you could live in Liverpool. The Lad who's now nearly 24 and following in Father's footsteps as a Civil Servant can't get premium on his 107 below £1200.

Admiral with a black box was best quote.
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - Mapmaker
Liverpool... What did he expect!
>> Liverpool... What did he expect!

Went to Uni there. Supports the reds. Loves the City. Found a local girl. A tenner a week more on his insurance than here but £100 less a month on his rent and next to no travel cost.

It all works out in the round.
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - Stuartli
I left SwiftCover a year ago for LV= after the premium went up from £345 to more than £400 - LV= offered the best deal at £335 fully comprehensive.

Just renew with them after the premium figure dropped to £315, the first time I can recall ever being offered a reduction over many years.

Ironically I use to date a lassie who worked in the local Liverpool Victoria office when I was in my early 20s.
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - MD
Mild drift and I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before, but we’re with LV on a commercial basis (Flats and Shops). A recent flood claim, quite extensive was handled very smoothly and paid out in a timely manner.. the renewal came part way through and they covered us again at no additional cost, BUT........they mentioned that next time they would likely review. As of now they get the big thumbs up from me.
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - Rudedog
Changed to LV= last year from Churchill (another insurer who likes to send a mountain of paperwork at any opportunity), my renewal premium this year went down by £30.
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - VxFan
>> Churchill (another insurer who likes to send a mountain of paperwork at any opportunity)

Which belong to the Direct Line Group. Formerly owned by RBS until 2014.

www.directlinegroup.co.uk/our-brands/brands.aspx

Their brands include, Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege, Green Flag, DLG Partnerships, and NIG.
Direct Line came in marginally cheaper than LV= at last renewal. However, whereas LV include Continental use, DL want me to phone in and advise them each time. Apart from main and possibly secondary holidays we're fond of taking caravan to C&M club site at Hawkinge and doing a day trip on the shuttle.

Too much faff ringing every time. Rather pay extra for piece of mind.
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - Bobby
Martin Lewis saying that the optimum time to get best quotes is 21 days before renewal date
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - smokie
I renewed my insurance with Coop a few weeks back and today I got a link in email to a personalised cartoon video which gave all the details of what I'm covered for, excess etc etc.

One the one hand it feels like dumbing down but I can see why they want to do it - so they can't be accused of "small print".
Just sorted out the Roomster insurance which runs out on the 27th.

LV='s renewal offer which came this morning was £297, about £42 more than last year (nothing adverse has happened over the last year, no new claims or convictions). My new friends at Quotemehappy came in at £198. So that's £168 saved on my Outlander and another £99 on the Roomster.

Both were on auto-renewal (obviously I have told LV= that I do not wish to renew). I wonder if that encourages them to put the price up a bit more?
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - martin aston
I've been with LV coming up five years. They've just sent me a letter saying their relationship with my Trade Union has ended. I think it was worth 5% discount. That aside renewal has always been close enough to comparison sites to stay with LV. It was about £230 for the Civic last time (full ncb, low risk area).

However they werent competitive when we tried multi car, nor for my wife's renewal on her car. She went to Saga.

I also moved our home and contents to Direct Line from LV and saved a fair bit.

I will be interested to see my motor renewal quote at the end of October. I may well be on the move.
Looks like LV= are going to get my business this year. They've just come in almost £100 cheaper for a multi-car policy than Aviva's renewal price, with (significantly) lower excesses and more benefits included in the policy as standard.

I was all set to go back to insuring them separately, as I'd not found any significant discounts for multi-car. Best quotes were £560 for the M140i (ignoring the £360 quote if I'd been happy to have a black box), and £230 for the MINI, so £790. Aviva wanted £810 for the multi-car, including the multi-product discount as we have two life policies with them also. Car policy expires in 10 days (24th)

LV= have just come in at £716. That's with 15 and 12 years NCB, lowish risk area, and business cover for both of us on both cars. I've got a non-fault accident from 2016 that I have to declare, and SWMBO has a windscreen claim from January. Not sure what difference these make, but I suspect it does add a bit.

LV= it is, then.
Last edited by: DP on Tue 14 Aug 18 at 17:40
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - legacylad
My car is currently with another insurer, although I’ve used LV previously. However for a few years now I’ve used LV for my travel insurance....Premier European ( inc Egypt & Turkey) Annual Multi Trip. Not the cheapest, but excellent customer feedback, low excess, high baggage contents insurance and 90 days cover per trip which is nice to have should I extend my annual 8 week winter trip. Or depart earlier!
And worldwide and winter sports can be added at a later date should they be required
 LV=, it was nice knowing you - Falkirk Bairn
That's the insurance renewals for the year over.

Some years lots of turmoil to stop the premiums escalating - this year just one phone call!

House - Advert Headlines for Premiums are often fantastically low - 1/2 what I was paying in previous years. However "unknown names" are discarded. You then add your specifics & the low premiums almost double. Legal & General shocked me by demanding £5.00 less than last year. Quick check on comparison sites showed L&G to be good value - so just renewed.

Car - Premium up £8.00 from last year to £180. Quick check for recognisable name insurers - premiums starting @ £240 nobody was under £200. Just renewed with Aviva.

Breakdown - Up from £52 to £65 - went onto GF site & asked for a quote for the car in my wife's name - £52! Phoned up GF, girl was OK, put up an argument that it was for "new customers" to which I replied that my wife would be a new customer. £52 was agreed. I have previously been with GEM, Britannia, Autonational who play the same game of upping year 2 premiums.
Latest Forum Posts