Motoring Discussion > Irish car tax proposals. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 25

Irish car tax proposals. - Old Navy
The writing on the wall?

www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/drivers-face-raft-of-new-road-charges-switch-to-electric-cars-may-see-4bn-loss-from-petrol-diesel-taxes-465195.html
 Irish car tax proposals. - PR
At the moment, people pay as a ball park figure, £60 for a tank of fuel that will get them 400 miles or so (again, ball park!!)

The Government arent going to sit by as things change and people pay a few £ for the same distance in charging costs. Road pricing will come.
 Irish car tax proposals. - Driver
Road pricing seems a reasonably fair way of doing things.

Do away with vehicle excise duty at the same time; why should a retired bod pay £200 a year for 5k miles when a motorway muncher pays the same (of course fuel duty will be higher).

Care needs to be taken on how its done. If its by ANPR, think about extra intrusion of the state, efforts for company car drivers to split business and non-business use etc.

If its on dual carriageways and motorways then expect towns to become congested as tightwads avoid routes that charge.

Expect number plate cloning to increase as well.

Rush hour premium pricing would be nice! As a business driver it may clear some congestion from mothers hoping one or two junctions on the M25 to do a bit of shopping after dropping the kids off at school.
>> As a business driver it may clear some
>> congestion from mothers hoping one or two junctions on the M25 to do a bit
>> of shopping after dropping the kids off at school.
>>

Ah, an entitled business driver, should the retired, disabled, and any other drivers of perceived less importance be banned from lane three (or four / five)?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Aug 18 at 13:38
>> Ah, an entitled business driver, should the retired, disabled, and any other drivers of perceived
>> less importance be banned from lane three (or four / five)?
>>

Pricing may have the unintended consequence of doing just that.
Bad luck, I will still be able to afford to get to the airport or cruise ship terminal, I will even be able to potter around at will. The only up side for the likes of you is I don't hold up the traffic. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Aug 18 at 13:46
>> Bad luck, I will still be able to afford to get to the airport or
>> cruise ship terminal, I will even be able to potter around at will. The only
>> up side for the likes of you is I don't hold up the traffic. :-)
>>

Ah, but think of all that money you will save by driving there off peak!

:-D
My policy is spend it before the kids or government get it, none of them need it! :-)

The kids will be happy to get the house, they each have their own houses.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Aug 18 at 14:17
 Irish car tax proposals. - Pat
Where do HGV's come into your plan?

What category would they fall into, and would they be restricted?

Pat

Some people would rather starve than have their progress impeded by a supermarket delivery HGV. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Aug 18 at 15:21
 Irish car tax proposals. - sooty123
>> Some people would rather starve than have their progress impeded by a supermarket delivery HGV.
>> :-)
>>

Thus cutting journey times and the obesity epidemic in one stroke. Sounds like a win win, where do I sign up?

;-)
>>HGVs

Surely night time only, on metal rails, using all that electricity from nuclear power stations that don't switch off at night.

I'll take cover now :-)
Don't wimp out now, those power stations will be lucky to keep up with charging all the electric cars overnight!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Aug 18 at 15:30
 Irish car tax proposals. - Duncan
>> Don't wimp out now, those power stations will be lucky to keep up with charging
>> all the electric cars overnight!

You haven't had the chance to climb on your hobby horse for a few days!

Feel better now?
That means you can only eat and shop at night so the rush hour will transfer to the time you have to drive.

Your customers will all be closed in the daytime!

Pat
Heavy loads / goods by rail.

Smaller loads by smaller vans to shops in the day. Keeps the HGV drivers employed doing more local work.

Of course it's all utopia and will never happen.

I would pay just to stop elephant racing on the M11 and A14.

Road pricing is coming I expect, but it'll be implemented in a stupid way no doubt. I guess it would be easiest to record mileage from odometers at MOTs, scrapping time etc. but then odometers can be hacked.

GPS receivers in cars linked to a mobile to send usage info to the Govt. I guess there will be hacks to drive a car whilst leaving the GPS at home. I suspect this is why the insurance companies are so keen on "black boxes" they are slowly converting us to the tech and will use it for road charging.
Tachographs already have GPS in them but until April 2019 it cannot be used by DVSA.

After then it will automatically record start and finishing destinations plus every accumulated 3 hours of driving.

The next step will be remote enforcement where the tacho shows where we are at any given time, the speed limit on that road, and a readout of driving and working hours used.

That, of course, is without the tracker that records if we are not wearing a seat belt, if we overspeed (57MPH despite the legal speed being 60MPH), harsh braking, fast cornering and not using cruise control to list a few.

Penalties will be enforced by remote data and you want us out of your way!

You've already got lane restrictions on the M11 which may well be handy when you're on the road but I can assure you they are a pain in the a*** at 3 am on an empty motorway but a slow one in front.

We need to have some equality with HGV's and business vehicles, as well as company cars, then perhaps there may be more respect for other road users between us all:)

Pat

Irish car tax proposals. - No FM2R
>We need to have some equality with HGV's and business vehicles, as well as company cars,

I don't think company car drivers consistently refer to themselves as "professional drivers". Surely you don't expect the same conditions to apply between professional and non-professional drivers?
I am sure there would be uproar if company car drivers had the monitoring systems fitted to HGVs. But I wonder how many people know that most newish cars have "event recorders" fitted? Even my humble Jazz has them, I would put money on insurers and the police being able to forensically examine them if required and for serious warranty claims.

Event Data Recorders
Your vehicle is equipped with several devices commonly referred to
as Event Data Recorders. They record various types of real time
vehicle data such as SRS airbag deployment and SRS system
components failure.
This data belongs to the vehicle owner and may not be accessed by
anyone else except as legally required or with the permission of the
vehicle owner.
However this data may be accessed by Honda, its authorised
dealers and authorised repairers, employees, representatives and
contractors only for the purpose of the technical diagnosis,
research and development of the vehicle.

Service Diagnostic Recorders
Your vehicle is equipped with service-related devices that record
information about powertrain performance and driving conditions.
The data can be used to help technicians diagnose, repair and
maintain the vehicle. This data may not be accessed by anyone else
except as legally required or with the permission of the vehicle
owner.
However this data may be accessed by Honda, its authorised
dealers and authorised repairers, employees, representatives and
contractors only for the purpose of the technical diagnosis,
research and development of the vehicle.

Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Aug 18 at 17:53
>>then perhaps there may be more respect for other road users between us all:)<<

We already consider high mileage company car drivers (like Humph) to be professional drivers like ourselves.

It shows, and you can tell straight away.

We just need them to be under the same pressure now:)

Pat
Lorry drivers are paid to drive. Company drivers like Humph are just good at it.
>> Lorry drivers are paid to drive. Company drivers like Humph are just good at it.
>>

Paid and trained, unless you think that anyone can turn up and pass an HGV test.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 16 Aug 18 at 18:13
So, it's their job, pretty much their only job, they are paid to do it, trained and licensed to do it, and repeatedly refer to themselves as professional drivers.

Nothing in there to make me think that there should be some equality of regulation or expectation between them and people they consistently point out are not professional.

And I remember the HGV test, though it was a long time ago and has no doubt changed.
The secretary of state issues our licence and has the power to suspend it if we don't act professionally.

The Transport Commissioner also has that power and we have to appear before them and explain the non-professional behaviour.

That's good enough for the UK courts and good enough for me.

However, as usual, I make a comment in reply to someone else and Mark is spoiling for a fight.

Well, not with me, as usual these days, find someone else to fall out with.

I'm outa this conversation and off to where I can have a sensible debate without this continual backbiting and stalking.

Pat
 Irish car tax proposals. - rtj70
Please give more details of your thoughts on company car drivers Pat. I have one and in the last 7+ years have probably done no more than 2000 miles on company business. That's not per annum that's total and it's probably less than that. I don't drive the car for business and when I get to a destination I then do my job. Driving is not the job.

But what if I take the allowance instead and provide my own car? I'm then not a company car driver and I could be someone doing 10s of thousands of miles a year (claiming for fuel too) in my own car. Not a company car driver.

Then if I didn't qualify for a benefit car or do quite enough miles to get a business need car I'd also be driving thousands of miles on company business but not in a company car.

I don't think you've thought through what you want/mean. Do you mean everyone driving to get to a place of work that's not their usual office?
 Irish car tax proposals. - rtj70
And to add:

1. Do you include personal mileage for company car drivers?
2. What if I use a hire car?
Latest Forum Posts