Motoring Discussion > August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 16

August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45248091
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - hawkeye
Mrs H wants me to take her and son to Ikea for a new mattress on Monday. The route is Richmond, up the A1 to Gateshead. We're going to need our sleeping bags, provisions and a camping stove aren't we?
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - R.P.
Buy it online !
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - Old Navy
Some years ago friends in the Gateshead area advised against entering the multi level car park at the Metro Center. When busy it became gridlocked and exit can (or could) take hours. Maybe things have improved now.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 25 Aug 18 at 17:11
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - hawkeye
No meatballs online! Also no chance to do father-son bonding as in, "You can't have that one, it's too expensive!"

No need to park in the multi-storey if you go to Ikea, they've got their own ground-level space. Acres of it!
Last edited by: hawkeye on Sat 25 Aug 18 at 17:22
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - Runfer D'Hills
My wife made me go to IKEA with her a couple of months ago. I am slowly improving, and am confident of being back to full mental health soon.
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - Old Navy
>> My wife made me go to IKEA with her a couple of months ago. I
>> am slowly improving, and am confident of being back to full mental health soon.
>>

I know the feeling, your recovery time would be somewhat extended if she topped up your posh van, the thought of all that assembly is the stuff of nightmares. :-)
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - R.P.
No meatballs online!

Fair enough !
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - zippy
>>Richmond to Gateshead

Surely the nearest Ikea is Croydon or Wembley?

:-)
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - wotspur
Twas,thinking the same , but perhaps they like day trip out
( or more likely it’s Richmond Tup Norff in Yorkshire
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - neiltoo
I love IKEA, but it's a cruel punishment to take anyone on a weekend, or especially a bank holiday.
Even on a weekday at this time of year it's full of groups of students fitting out their new accommodation.

I went last week to Manchester IKEA, and it was full of mums, school age children and infants.

You want to go midweek, outside school holidays, in the winter.

By the way, they have no catalogues. The new one comes out next month, with a much reduced print run. They are putting the whole thing on line.
Last edited by: neiltoo on Sun 26 Aug 18 at 09:53
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - sooty123
I don't know if it's the done thing to admit to, but anyway...

I've never been to an ikea store.
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - Runfer D'Hills
Don't go Sooty, trust me, never agree to it.
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - Pat
Neither have I nor do I want to.

Pat
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - Zero
>> >>Richmond to Gateshead
>>
>> Surely the nearest Ikea is Croydon or Wembley?

Or Reading,

The Ikea where cars enter the car park and never come out again.
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - legacylad
About 30 years ago I crossed the Pennines with an ex to Ikea Warrington. She went in. Bought nothing. Next door was a VW van dealer so I went and kicked tyres. Chopped in my old swb transporter for a lwb ex demo. My third Transporter. My 4th being a lwb P reg HiRoof 2.4 5cyl diesel
 August Bank Holiday: The roads to avoid (BBC) - legacylad
Currently near St David’s keeping dry until I resume my Pembrokeshire coast walk tomorrow. Chatting to people here, one group took 8 hours from Brighton yesterday, another group 6 hours from Oxford. Stayed one night and leaving today, one day early. Bonkers. What kind of road conditions did they expect, and given the forecast why even leave home?
Latest Forum Posts