Motoring Discussion > Lamenting Traffic Cops Legal Questions
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 8

Lamenting Traffic Cops - zippy
I have always been dealt fairly by traffic cops and often in good humour and it is a real shame that they are becoming a rarer site on the roads as scammeras take over.

Travelling up the M1 on Tuesday night, traffic cops would have earned their pay.

I was in the roadworks south of Newport Pagnell services doing 50 when a HGV (artic) passed at a fair lick in lane 3. It had no registration on the back but on catching up with it later, it had a German looking number on the mud guard of the tractor.

Just past the services a DHL artic was also in lane 3.

With police on the road, at lease they would have spotted them.
 Lamenting Traffic Cops - Pat
I agree with you Zippy on all points really.

I have always been treated fairly by Traffic cops (Plod as we know them!) and if you pass the attitude test, apologise and agree you were wrong they are excellent.

I was stopped once at the top of the M11 just as it was getting light in winter by a motorbike Plod who freely admitted he was cold and needed to sit in a warm cab to thaw out:) He looked at my (then analogue) chart and casually asked where there was a motorway between Worksop and M11 because I had been doing 65MPH all the way down the A1. He didn't book me though just warned me!

Now, the foreign lorry would/should have been limited to 56MPH unless he had a magnet on to disable it and without a rear number plate I suspect that may have been the case.

DHL?, well schedules are tight, loads of night closures causing diversions of many miles and we all take a risk at times. I would be a liar if I said I had never done it....we call it 'making progress':)

Pat
 Lamenting Traffic Cops - rtj70
>> we all take a risk at times. I would be a liar if I said I had never done it....we call it 'making progress':)

I thought you called it professional driving ;-)
 Lamenting Traffic Cops - zippy
My favourite stop was when I had a beaten up Datsun 120Y.

I had brought it from the insurer after some old goat went in to the back of me.

On a 30MPH hill that was until 6 months previously NSL.

Cop steps out at the top and pulls me over for speeding up the hill.

Looks around the car which was held together with gaffer tape and he proceeds to tell me he could hear me revving it up at the T-Junction at the bottom of the hill.

I looked him straight in the face and apologised. "Sorry officer, if I hadn't given it some welly, it would never have got up the hill!"

He had to restrain from a laugh and told me in no uncertain terms not to do it again and get along now sonny!

Lamenting Traffic Cops - Pat
Professional driving is making progress.....we don't Elephant Race. we take the alternative route rtj:)

Pat
 Lamenting Traffic Cops - Stuartli
The mantra we were advised to follow was "Speed in the right place at the right time".
 Lamenting Traffic Cops - bathtub tom
I've experienced a couple.

The first was when I came out of a garage after a Krypton tune (remember them?) in an attempt to cure an annoying, intermittent misfire - it was the condenser, in a Triumph Vitesse. I gave it some beans as I hit a dual carriageway, in a 40MPH limit. I saw a BIB in the distance and quickly slowed to the limit, he pulled me over. "I didn't see it, where was it" I asked, thinking I'd been caught in a speed trap. "You were the only one going slow enough I dare step out of" he replied, "pushing it were you?"

The second was when I was pulled over at silly-o-clock and asked where I was coming from and going to. "Cerney Wick and home I replied". "Where's that" he asked? "near South Cerney" I honestly replied. He said "I've got all night, how about you?"

I have to say the first BIB turned up at an accident I witnessed behind me, where a young lad was knocked off his bike by a following car. I stopped and tried to help, but the lad's injuries looked severe, so I used my car as an obstruction to prevent further damage. The BIB recognised me from the previous occasion and was most solicitous. It was he who turned up to take a statement some days later and was very sympathetic.
 Lamenting Traffic Cops - Crankcase
Was travelling in tandem one when the other car broke down. Driver was therefore walking about, bonnet up, etc. Ordinary 30mph carriageway but double yellows.

I put my car behind, with hazards on, thinking that was safer.

Shortly, police car drove past by fluke. Shouted at me for doing so, told me it was stupid (no idea why), insisted I move to the front of the other. I did so.

Astonishingly, ten minutes later ANOTHER police car drove past. Yes, you guessed,it. Shouted at me, told me it was stupid, insisted I put my car behind the other again.

On both occasions they wouldn't let me get a word in edgeways, just went straight into grumpy rant mode. Neither were interested or asked whether we were OK, or whether any assistance was coming.

No,idea what would have happened if the first one had come back.

Two or three other encounters with traffic police in my life and all were excellent, pleasant, understanding and helpful though.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 14 Sep 18 at 07:42
 Lamenting Traffic Cops - Dog
>>I came out of a garage after a Krypton tune (remember them?)

Crypton.

=en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivastigmine

:)
Latest Forum Posts