Motoring Discussion > One thing after another Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Skoda Replies: 14

One thing after another - Skoda
What started out as a mild spruce up for an old Golf, has turned into a near restoration, but not on purpose.

I started out replacing a faulty ABS sensor then on the test drive i noticed another problem. After fixing that no more than 2 days later another fault reared its head. It just snow balled one thing after another.

From discs and pad renewals to punctured vac hose(s), from faulty coolant sensor to persistently leaking sump plug (alloy sump with the non-crushing type washer on the sump plug).

The icing on the cake was today when attempting to start an interim service, the bonnet catch died before i could even start. Thankfully not the end of the world on this car as the grill comes off with a little persuasion for access to the lock mechanism.

I now understand why one kidney grill was vandalised on a BMW 840i i once went to see. Access to the bonnet latches no doubt!

Bangers can be testing. I'm just thankful the body and floorpan are in good nick and this isn't all in vain. Cue the theft or write off tomorrow :-)
 One thing after another - Stuu
I know someone who spent over £3k over 4 years trying to get their '97 Golf in reliable condition. Good luck!
 One thing after another - Skip
If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagon ! Wasn't that how their advert used to go !
 One thing after another - Iffy
"If only everything in life is as misleading, but convincing, as VW advertising,' is how it should have gone.
 One thing after another - -
There comes a point when you have to say 'enough', the secret is knowing when you've reached it.

If you find a good crystal ball supplier can you get us a group discount.
 One thing after another - Zero

Come on, you know the last thing you did was the last thing you will ever have to do, you are really confident, its done, fixed sorted, you did a good job.....

till the next thing. There is always a next thing, once the things start.
 One thing after another - corax
>> There comes a point when you have to say 'enough', the secret is knowing when
>> you've reached it.
>>
>> If you find a good crystal ball supplier can you get us a group discount.

I think you made the right decision about the Merc GB. Thats a hell of a lot of money to be spending on an old car, even it it does give you the odd pleasurable drive. I've noticed that there are no Mercedes enthusiast mags apart from one in the shop, and that one contains no hands on tips for looking after them, compared to the plethora of literature you can get for BMW's, VW's, Audi's, that tell you how to do everything you ever wanted to do to them yourself. They have always seemed to be a car for people with deep pockets. I like Mercs, but some of the parts are eye wateringly expensive.

Will I know when enough is enough for the Beemer? Mmm...

>> I think you made the right decision about the Merc GB.

So do i C, seeing as i'm going to be using the Hilux now i have no complaints, except i won't be doing those instant overtakes anymore.

Whether the little Citroen will be a good long termer for SWMBO who knows?

''Will I know when enough is enough for the Beemer? Mmm.''
Probably a combination of time and circumstances will make the decision an obvious one, heart has ruled head too long in my case.
 One thing after another - Number_Cruncher
>> I think you made the right decision about the Merc GB.

What's happened to your W124 that's prompting a sale GB?

>> What's happened to your W124 that's prompting a sale GB?
>>

Absolutely nothing wrong with it NC apart from it's thirst, still goes like the proverbial off the shovel.

If you have a nose on the Small Diesel with Grunt thread you'll be able to catch up on the change.

It's just the time has come for us, sad really it's still a beautiful car in excellent order.
 One thing after another - Runfer D'Hills
Aye....
 One thing after another - Dave_
>> After fixing that no more than 2 days later another fault reared its head. It just snow balled one thing after another

That sounds like the story of every car I've ever owned! :)
 One thing after another - DP
Running two older Golfs, I keep on top of anything likely to affect safety or reliability and frankly live with anything else.
Between the two, I have one noisy blower motor, one faulty mirror adjuster switch which moves both mirrors when the left one is selected, and a couple of other irritating niggles. But they both start on the key, go and stop as they should, and provide dependable daily transport. When you drive old cars, aiming for more than that can empty your wallet and take years off your life.;)
 One thing after another - madf
Living with a 17 year Peugeot 106, it's been pressurising its water system since 1999. I refuse to contemplate changing the HG - and it just soldiers on (it's a 1.4 diesel so a known issue).

I suppose I could spend £300 and get it fixed but that buys 30 bottles of rather nice wine..
so No Contest..
 One thing after another - apm
DP, re the mirror thing, I seem to remember that my Leon did the same thing from new- I think it's meant to be like that but I can't for the life of me remember why. I certainly found it annoying.

Cheers,

Alex.
Latest Forum Posts