Motoring Discussion > Evans halshaw+ Stratstone feel the pinch Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 11

Evans halshaw+ Stratstone feel the pinch - Falkirk Bairn
Pendragon Plc - the owners are feeling the effects of the WLTP regime intoduced on September 1st.

Lack of supply by manufacturers is causing them pain & profits falling

shares.telegraph.co.uk/news/article.php?id=6173999&epic=PDG

Sales in September were down 20% overall in the UK with diesels falling market share - is it all down to WLTP? or are punters staying away in droves from the new higher prices being imposed by most makes over the last 12 months?
 Evans halshaw+ Stratstone feel the pinch - smokie
For anyone else who doesn't know, WLTP is Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure

wltpfacts.eu/what-is-wltp-how-will-it-work/
 Evans Halshaw+ Stratstone feel the pinch - Avant
I think it's mainly due to WLTP. I was talking to an Audi salesman the other day and he said they have hardly any new cars in their compound. They have three orders dating back to March for A3 convertibles (not even a new model) and still haven't been given build dates.

There is gross incompetence somewhere here - whether it's inadequate testing facilities or lack of forethought by the manufacturers, or a bit of both, I don't know. Just glad I got a new car last April.
 Evans Halshaw+ Stratstone feel the pinch - PR
I think VAG group cars were especially hit by the new test.

Read into that what you will...!
 Evans Halshaw+ Stratstone feel the pinch - jc2
Ford are now stating ALL their range meet the new level!
 Evans halshaw+ Stratstone feel the pinch - No FM2R
I am not clear on this;

Is the point that demand is down or supply? If the effect is the WLTP then I'd assume that supply was down but perhaps demand was forcing increasing prices?

But it sort of sounds like demand is down as well?
 Evans halshaw+ Stratstone feel the pinch - R.P.
Radio news reporting that car-prices will take a hike post-Brexit.
 Evans halshaw+ Stratstone feel the pinch - Bill Payer
>> I am not clear on this;
>>
>> Is the point that demand is down or supply? If the effect is the WLTP
>> then I'd assume that supply was down but perhaps demand was forcing increasing prices?
>>
>> But it sort of sounds like demand is down as well?
>>

Demand was softening for various reasons - backlash against diesel, general economic uncertainty etc. Plus the last couple of years had seen record numbers of new cars sold so that was tough to sustain.

WLTP has completely messed things up for some manufacturers though and as has been said, VAG group has been very badly hit. Porsche haven't built cars for months and many other VAG models are in the same position.
 Evans halshaw+ Stratstone feel the pinch - Bromptonaut
>> Is the point that demand is down or supply? If the effect is the WLTP
>> then I'd assume that supply was down but perhaps demand was forcing increasing prices?

Reports I've seen/heard suggest supply is issue. 20% is a hell of a drop, if it was demand then, notwithstanding car specific factors like 'diesel doubt', I'd expect other high value purchases to be hit too.
 Evans halshaw+ Stratstone feel the pinch - Rudedog
OK just been on the VW site to play with the configurator and spec my next new car, and shock horror it's not available!

I guess that means that no new personal built cars are for sale?

Desperate for my 'new' car fix I even tried the .de site and again the konfigurator was not there!

Seems ALL build your own VW cars are frozen.
 Evans halshaw+ Stratstone feel the pinch - Robbie34
I ordered a new Volvo V60 at the beginning of September. I'm told it will be the end of November or mid December when it will arrive.
 Evans halshaw+ Stratstone feel the pinch - Bill Payer
>> Seems ALL build your own VW cars are frozen.
>>
I'm sure that's not correct, but until a couple of weeks ago models like Golf and Tiguan didn't have any WLTP approved versions.

They're getting there now though, but still with limited engine/transmission options in many cases: www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/wltp

If you're going on what the online configurator is saying then many of them are messed up at the moment.
Latest Forum Posts