Motoring Discussion > Fuel Pumps out of action Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 19

Fuel Pumps out of action - zippy
I have been to a number of petrol stations on my travels recently that have a number of pumps out of action and this is in may travels around the UK.

Mainly diesel if its just one fuel or whole pumps sectioned off at garages.

Speaking to the attendant today for one the major chains, I was told that they were down to their last 1,000 litres of diesel and were placing out of order signs on the pumps to keep supplies for the emergency services.

Anyone else notice this or is it just my luck?
 Fuel Pumps out of action - wotspur
No I’ve not noticed it .
What I am very surprised is that “Emergency services “ don’t have their own service stations , where they keep topped up every day. Most don’t go more than 40 miles from base , and with the large amounts all emergency services use over the country , why can they Use Red diesel or at least cheaper option Just for Emergency vehicles
 Fuel Pumps out of action - zippy
I guess managing pumps etc costs money and its cheaper to let someone else do it?

The duty and VAT is probably negligible overall as the treasury pays it out and gets it back.

With my dealings with fuel refineries they are obliged to keep about 5% (I can't recall the exact figure) in reserve for national emergencies. I reckon some of this is paper stock.
 Fuel Pumps out of action - sooty123
No can't say I've seen it or heard anything about this.

I guess it depends on how much diesel you use, some government departments have their own fuel supplies/pumps.

I know some businesses share a wagon company's fuel pumps, they have the electronic tags and are just billed at the end of the month for the fuel that they use.
 Fuel Pumps out of action - R.P.
I visit quite a few ambulance stations. I've only noticed one that has its own supply. We are part of an ambulance trust and have AllStar cards. I assume we are a critical part of the NHS infrastructure
given the stuff we tote around.
 Fuel Pumps out of action - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I guess it depends on how much diesel you use, some government departments have their
>> own fuel supplies/pumps.
>>

Most farms have their own supply of diesel - usually just a tank on a raised stack of concrete blocks or sleepers. They don't need a pump, just gravity.
 Fuel Pumps out of action - devonite
>> farms have their own supply of diesel - usually just a tank on a raised stack of concrete blocks or sleepers. They don't need a pump, just gravity.

One farm I used to work at had a Saturday routine, one of us had to run a milk kit full of red diesel through large bucket and filter stuffed with stale bread to take the red dye out, so that it could be used in the Land rover!
 Fuel Pumps out of action - sooty123
> Most farms have their own supply of diesel - usually just a tank on a
>> raised stack of concrete blocks or sleepers. They don't need a pump, just gravity.
>>

Most I've been on have plastic IBCs, I suppose they only need small quantities, 1000L or so.
 Fuel Pumps out of action - Rudedog
Maybe the reserved amount could be for emergency staff so they can get to work?

When we had the big strike and the pumps went dry we were supposed to be able to go a station and show our Hospital ID to get fuel.

Luckily I never got in the position to have to try and test that out.
 Fuel Pumps out of action - Bromptonaut
Regularly see liveried Leicestershire Police vehicles filling up at Fosse Park Sainburys in Leicester.
 Fuel Pumps out of action - Duncan
Reading these posts and realising I was getting low, I decided to get fuel. I have for one or two years now been buying fuel (diesel) in £30 or £40 lots to tie up with my expenses claim from an organisation with which I am involved.

I thought I would fill up.

Eighty two quid!!
 Fuel Pumps out of action - Zero

>> I thought I would fill up.
>>
>> Eighty two quid!!

Pathetic cheapskate, filled up the more superior of the german marques on Friday with V power,

94 quid.

I have the roadtax to pay next month, a very reasonable 450 quid.......
>>
>> filled up on Friday with V power,

>> 94 quid.
>>

Honest John frequently promotes V power fuel (and Michelin Cross Climate tyres) glad to see that you are taking his advice.

I don't.
 Fuel Pumps out of action - smokie
What's a fuel pump?

What's road tax?

:-)
 Fuel Pumps out of action - henry k
>> I have the roadtax to pay next month, a very reasonable 450 quid.......
>>
That's nice. I have just paid £540 for 195 hp
At least I am not paying the top rate of £555 :-)
 Fuel Pumps out of action - Zero
>> >> I have the roadtax to pay next month, a very reasonable 450 quid.......
>> >>
>> That's nice. I have just paid £540 for 195 hp
>> At least I am not paying the top rate of £555 :-)

Thank you sir you have just made me and my 335 HP very happy this sunday.
It's quite complicated, isn't it?

www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables
>> It's quite complicated, isn't it?
>>
Indeed. I was not aware that my cars year of manufacture would be the worst possible for tax
IIRC a year earlier it is half what I pay so I just think of it as a £4 a week surcharge
Never mind Henry.

Console yourself with the thought that you are being wafted around in a Jagwar. While lesser mortals have to make do with German machinery.
Sadly my model does not waft like big saloons but I hope to keep it for quite a few more years.
( I seem to recall that some Jaguars had a MB gearbox but not mine)
Latest Forum Posts