Motoring Discussion > Triumph - One Of My Old Cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robbie34 Replies: 1

Triumph - One Of My Old Cars - Robbie34
Just out of curiosity I looked for some of my old cars on the DVLA website to see if they were still in use. I was amazed to find that my 1959 Standard Ensign, reg, 289 JTC was still listed. It was the only one of my previous cars that I could find.

vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle
 Triumph - One Of My Old Cars - Cliff Pope
When I checked perhaps a year ago my 1948 Triumph Roadster was still taxed, but checking again now I see it says untaxed since 2011, and not on SORN. But I notice its colour has changed in the last year from green to red.

I have heard that in the confusion over the recent MOT exemption, the status records of a lot of classic cars are going haywire. There is an anomaly in the process as you can declare a car to be VHI (vehicle of historic interest) and therefore MOT-exempt only when renewing the tax, which means if the existing MOT expires but the tax still has months to run, the vehicle seems to pass into a kind of zombie existence.
DVLA have apparently now stated that all qualifying cars will automatically become MOT-exempt without the need for the new V112 form. But the result I learn from members of the two classic clubs I belong to is that the DVLA records sometimes throw up anomalous results on search.
We are assured that as all cars older than 40 years are exempt both tax and MOT, there is no need to worry and we won't get fined even if DVLA say the vehicle is untaxed or un-MOT'd.

Until this mess corrects itself I'm not sure the DVLA search can be relied on as a guide to current status.
Latest Forum Posts