Motoring Discussion > Dog's gorn - continuously Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 89

Dog's gorn - continuously - Dog
variable transmission:

www.ashburtonmotorworks-subaru.co.uk/used/subaru/xv/20i-se-5dr-lineartronic/ashburton/devon/18524820#top-image

Thems gimme £8500 for my ole (2010) CR-V which wasn't too bad at all I thought.

Nice car to drive, grrreat acceleration from the combination of CVT + Boxer.

The Honda was okay in-every-way but, like Roger, I fancied a change.

8-)
 Dog's gorn - continuously - sooty123
Looks nice, not really seen too many of them. Infact I don't think I've seen one at all, I quite like it though. Enjoy.
I don't see any in Cornwall either. Good garage that Ashburton Motors place, nowhere near you of course sooty. They used to service & MOT my Forester too - Highly recommended.!

www.facebook.com/AshburtonMotorWorksLtd
 Dog's gorn - continuously - legacylad
My final Scooby, my third, was an R reg 2.0 petrol estate. Bought second hand off a friend, with 125k on the clock at 3 yo. I paid about £3500. Great workhorse and served me well.
Last year my brother bought a brand new Levorg ( grovel) estate, a 1.6 petrol. Lots of toys, but for what he paid, around £30k, I was very underwhelmed. Assuming they are still as well screwed together with reliable oily bits, they probably make a sound buy if bought for the long term. I thought the interior was dated and uninspired, lacked performance and for that price the worlds your lobster if you are prepared to buy something almost new.
The Scoob XV is aimed at a similar market to the Honda HR-V etc. It's based on the Impreza underpinnings, is still built in Japan and with its boxer flat-four engine and permanent all wheel drive is what floats my boat.

The XV doesn't get very good reviews, neither does the Forester come to that, but I like them and that's what matters.

The Honda CR-V is a very popular car, but it (petrol model) could do with a bigger engine, like the 2.4 jobbie which is available in the States I believe.

In all honesty, I never got on with my CR-V .. I always felt that it wasn't really me if you know what I mean :)
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Lygonos
When you see Foresters get 2 star reviews in Whatcar? and the BMW X3 get 5, you start to believe the pro-German conspiracy theories about Haymarket magazines.

I'd have gone for the current Foz personally... maybe a nice petrol Xt with the bells'n'whistles...
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Zero
>> When you see Foresters get 2 star reviews in Whatcar? and the BMW X3 get
>> 5, you start to believe the pro-German conspiracy theories about Haymarket magazines.

All reviews rate the Forester pretty poorly, with good reason.

I had one on test prior to the Beemer.

Poorly equipped, noisy, slow, thirsty, poor ride, poor handling, and the inside was pretty depressing, given the not much it cost too much.

Agricultural sums it up, I dont live on a farm, so it had no place on my shortlist
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 31 Oct 18 at 23:02
>>All reviews rate the Forester pretty poorly

Autocar and Topgear give it 4 stars.

>> >>All reviews rate the Forester pretty poorly
>>
>> Autocar and Topgear give it 4 stars.
>>

Autocar gives it three stars.
>> Autocar gives it three stars.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/subaru/forester/first-drives/subaru-forester-2019-review

Handling is compromised by having good offroad ability, turbo is slightly better.

Always found fuel economy comparable to any similar petrol SUV.

Drove a diesel once in 2009 while my XT was being serviced and it was a wallowy barge (which the XT was certainly not)

To be fair the first thing I did with the Foz Turbo was fit a stronger rear antiroll bar to dial out the understeer.

Dog's gorn - continuously - No FM2R
>>Poorly equipped, noisy, slow, thirsty, poor ride, poor handling, and the inside was pretty depressing, given the not much it cost too much.

I had one on a loan recently. All of that is spot on.
My ole 2007 Forester was nice to drive (IMO) which probably clouded my opinion of the CR-V in some way.

Later model Foresters do indeed get 'less stars' than the earlier model, but then Subaru have never gorn down a bunch in this country whereas in the USA etc. they love 'em.

>> Later model Foresters do indeed get 'less stars' than the earlier model, but then Subaru
>> have never gorn down a bunch in this country whereas in the USA etc. they
>> love 'em.

Americans buy trucks.
Do you like Marmite?
Yes and Vegemite. But I know reality upsets you.
Any way the wind blows doesn't really matter, to me ...
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Boxsterboy
>> I don't see any in Cornwall either. Good garage that Ashburton Motors place, nowhere near
>> you of course sooty. They used to service & MOT my Forester too - Highly
>> recommended.!
>>
>> www.facebook.com/AshburtonMotorWorksLtd
>>

My father-in-law had a string of Foresters from Ashburton and rates the garage highly too. He has an XV (bought from them) which he doesn't get on and is talking to them about them buying it off him. Hope you enjoy your XV better than he does!
My wife drives more than I do these days - I prefer walking :)

I drove the thing and found it OK, bearing in mind I've driven c10,000 cars in my time.

I was quite prepared to bring the Honda (which I've never really taken to TBH) back home.

Cars bore me these days I'm afraid, although the Boxer engine usually gets the juices flowing.

If the ole woman don't like it (which is possible) then out it goes, knowlmean.
 Dog's gorn - continuously - tyrednemotional

>>
>> If the ole woman don't like it (which is possible) then out it goes, knowlmean.
>>

...the car, or............?
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Runfer D'Hills
Nice to have something unusual. Easier to find in car parks.
Quite. I never had a problem finding my HiRoof VW Transporter, whereas the Barbiemobile looks just like 101 other SUVs sideways on from a distance
A friend of mine jokes that’s the reason he leaves the roof bars on his LR Disco Sport. I’m not sure whether he is serious or not.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 31 Oct 18 at 12:07
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Manatee
A friend of mine has had this car finding problem to deal with for about 30 years. Always buys red Fiestas. I think it's fair to say his interests lie elsewhere than in cars.
 Dog's gorn - continuously - henry k
>>A friend of mine has had this car finding problem to deal with for about 30 years
>>
In my 11 year old X type I just press the remote control to turn oh the headlights and alarm.
( I think it is an American feature)
On my Beemer, I open the app on my phone and it gives me directions to walk to get me within 10 yards*. Of course being gold and gorgeous, its hard to miss.

* Use din earnest in the vast savannah of cars at Goodwood revival
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Duncan
>> On my Beemer, I open the app on my phone and it gives me directions
>> to walk to get me within 10 yards*. Of course being gold and gorgeous, its
>> hard to miss.

That Geriatric Beige looks good these autumnal mornings, doesn't it?
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Old Navy
Is Geriatric Beige a shade lighter or darker than hearing aid Beige?
I think criticising someone’s colour choice of their vehicle is not very nice. I’m sure that it complements Zero’s magnolia emulsion.
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Manatee
You can't beat magnolia. So my dad always said too. And I've had a 'gold' car - a CR-V in 'Mojave Mist'. Lovely.
I thought it was green?
I think it a spam thing, of the dozens of hire cars I've driven over there I think pretty much every car had that feature.

Very handy when several of us use the same car and it's parked in a multistorey car park.
With the size of some American car parks you can understand why some people in the states use aerial toppers to identify their cars.

www.aerialballs.com

Not much use if you have a shark's fin or window aerial.
>> With the size of some American car parks you can understand why some people in
>> the states use aerial toppers to identify their cars.
>>
>> www.aerialballs.com
>>
>> Not much use if you have a shark's fin or window aerial.

On the new mini clubman, the sharks fin flashes red when its locked and alarmed.
>> A friend of mine jokes that’s the reason he leaves the roof bars on his LR Disco Sport. I’m not sure whether he is serious or not.

Well, funnily enough, my wife likes to leave the roof bars on her Qashqai for exactly that reason.
I bet your wife’s car is far more reliable than his LR Disco Sport.

When we spoke last month it was back at the dealers for the umpteenth time... he’s thoroughly dischuffed with it. He’s not car focused at all. The only two criteria are the ability for the boot to hold two sets of golf clubs, and be able to negotiate minor floods as the road to his house is liable to flooding in both directions.
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Stuu
>>I bet your wife's car is far more reliable than his LR Disco Sport. <<

That wouldn't be hard. I have two customers who owned them and developed a passionate hatred towards the cars which never worked more than a few weeks at a time.

Motoring journos may rate them for a spin round the block but real people own cars for somewhat longer and no matter how well something handles or rides, if it doesn't start or bits fall off, it is rubbish.

I note that the current model Prius came to of the HJ satisfaction survey, which as an owner doesn't surprise me.

>> Well, funnily enough, my wife likes to leave the roof bars on her Qashqai for
>> exactly that reason.

Something to tie the door mirrors to I guess.
>>...the car, or............?

If truth be told, I probably wouldn't be here now if we hadn't met. Funny ole life though :)
Good garage that Ashburton Motors place, nowhere near
>> you of course sooty.

Nowhere near, a good few hours i reckon!
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Crankcase
Just like her mother, in a crowded car park Mrs C will expectantly walk to the nearest silver car of whatever make, assuming it's ours. We don't even any longer own a silver car.

The only way to reduce this disinterested behaviour, I've discovered, is to tie a red helium balloon to the aerial before leaving the car. Even then you have to say "look for the balloon".
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 31 Oct 18 at 12:50
I was recently sitting in my car ( a silver Merc estate ) waiting for my wife outside a shop. An old chap pulled up next to me in a silver Kia estate and stayed in his car while his wife went off to do something. My wife returned from her errand and got into the Kia. Apparently the guy said it had been a while since that had happened to him, but she was very welcome !
Way back when I had my first car, a blue Morris Minor, I parked it and went shopping. On return I unlocked it, got in, put the key in the ignition and then thought there was something not quite right. I was in another identically coloured car that had parked one behind me.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 31 Oct 18 at 12:56
I once got into the wrong brown ( Roman Bronze axshully don't y'know ) Cortina in similar circumstances.
>>I was in another identically coloured car that had parked one behind me

I did the same thing many moons ago. Came out of a pub with a friend after having only about two pints, jumped into my cream Zephyr 4 (key fitted ... it was a Ford Remember!)

But when I looked at the interior light, it was red??
The owner had fitted a red cover to it for some strange reason. When I got out of the car (a bit sharpish, like)
I realised the car was in fact white. Maybe I had had more than a couple of pints.

8-)
A Kawasaki KH250. I started it and was suddenly quite outraged about the dent in the tank until I switched it off, got off it and walked half a dozen bikes further along to mine.
A few times each year I’d try to open my next door neighbours front door and curse when the key wouldn’t work. He painted it a different colour. Even in the dark and in a shabby state ( myself that is) I knew his was no longer white.
I’ve reduced my intake of pop these days...
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Boxsterboy
>> I was recently sitting in my car ( a silver Merc estate ). My wife returned from her errand and got into the Kia.
>>

You spend all that BiK on a Merc and she mistakes it for a KIA!!!! Grounds for divorce, shirley! :-)
>> I was recently sitting in my car ( a silver Merc estate ) waiting for
>> my wife outside a shop. An old chap pulled up next to me in a
>> silver Kia estate and stayed in his car while his wife went off to do
>> something. My wife returned from her errand and got into the Kia.

Easy mistake to make with taxi type cars.
It does though, sort of serve to substantiate my long held suspicion, that by and large, the only person who actually cares about any car or how it looks, is usually only the person driving it.

In truth I couldn't give a stuff what anyone else is in and pay that very little attention, other than to verify that they are not about to crash into me or run me over.

;-)
 Dog's gorn - continuously - John Boy
>> It does though, sort of serve to substantiate my long held suspicion, that by and
>> large, the only person who actually cares about any car or how it looks, is
>> usually only the person driving it.
>>
Dog must be in that category then, otherwise he'd have to be a certain kind of a masochist to post a topic telling us what car he's just bought.
;-)
Well, I think quite a lot of us here are car nerds, and we are actually interested when someone gets a new one, but have you ever tried talking about cars with a normal person without their eyes glazing over? ;-)
>>have you ever tried talking about cars with a normal person without their eyes glazing over? ;-)

Or the 'average' woman .. I've chosen every one of our/my 45 cars over the years, and they've all more-or-less been half decent motors, apart from the Riley Kestrel automatic I bought for the ole woman to knock around in.

If the choice was left to her, she'd be quite happy with a little Fiat 500 ... or a Dacia.
 Dog's gorn - continuously - MD
Buy her a Duster instead. That fireplace needs 'doing' :-)
But, but, but, I've bought her FIVE vacuum cleaners.!

:o)
Five? Does that mean four of them are just gathering dust?
Actually it's SIX vacuum cleaners.

2 x Miele

2 x VAX

1 x Karcher

1 x Beldray cheapo thing.

Thems all get used funnily enough, the ole woman uses a VAX upstairs and the new Miele downstairs.

I use a VAX Gator hand-held now and again (great for hovering up dead flies on the window ledge)

I keep the old (er) Miele in one of my 3 x mancaves - it still works mighty-fine (2KW) it gets also gets used now and again by me, good for going over the inglenook, hovering up DIY mess etc. etc. etc.

The Karcher, which was a good £50 bargain from The Range (78 knicker on Amazon) I use in the kitchen & (attached/adjacent) dining/day room every morgen (dog hairs!!)

I don't use the Beldray stick anymore - the Karcher replaces it, I should get around to giving it to the air ambulance charity.

I was going to get a GTECH, which everyone appears to have these days, but no, I had a cordless Hoover stick vac before but I got fed up having it run out of oomph. Yes I know, I know, y'all should keep it on charge all the time so it's ready, willing, and able.

Maybe I should sell up, vacs included, and buy a small place in the sun.

:o}

We have the Miele cat and dog. Its makes a Dyson look utterly pathetic, despite the fact the Miele is running under EU power rules.
Ours is the cat and dog = v'good, as powerful as our old 2kw Miele.

Never owned a Dyson - never wanted one either.
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Clk Sec
>> never wanted one either.

We certainly wouldn't buy another one. And that's putting it politely!
Update on the Subaru XV

Less stodgy than my outgoing 2010 model Honda CR-V. Fun to drive! comfortable, corners like it's on rails.

The ole woman doesn't like the idea of stop-start, 'til I showed her where the orf button is.
She doesn't like the idea of not having reversing beepers either, but it has a mighty-fine reversing camera which just needs getting used to (the Honda had one too)

All in all, we're pleased with the car. A Forester it ain't, which is probably why it's called an XV :)

www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/31849518638/in/datetaken-public/
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Bobby
I have sensors and camera. Notice many manufacturers are going with camera only.
If its the choice I would take sensors every time.

I reverse with my mirrors and ears, I only look down to the screen when parking in my driveway when it is literally bumper to bumper.
90,000 miles in and I've only just realised that my car has "park assist" ! I must have touched the right combination of switches the other day and it "asked" me if I wanted to enable it.

Couldn't bring myself to accept its kind offer though, something deep in my psyche wold lead to self loathing if someone watching thought I couldn't park my own car.
>> Couldn't bring myself to accept its kind offer though, something deep in my psyche wold
>> lead to self loathing if someone watching thought I couldn't park my own car.
>>

I agree, no self respecting driver would wish to be seen to be inept at car control.
And, before anyone does, just a reminder that we never mention the "K" word...Understood?
;-)
D'you know they call them "curbs" in the US? Still just as easy to hit though, I imagine.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 5 Nov 18 at 12:25
>>If its the choice I would take sensors every time.

So would I. The CRV had them front and rear which came in handy when I reverse out of the drive and round a sharp bendy bit up to neighbs 5 bar gate - tricky with the dark mornings and no street lights.
The ole woman is still bleating about the lack of parking sensors .. I said people who drive Subarus don't need parking sensors, that didn't go down too well :o)

Maybe I should have bought her a Duster after all.

>> The ole woman is still bleating about the lack of parking sensors

Under a tenner:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Car-Parking-Rear-Reverse-4-Sensors-Buzzer-Radar-LED-Display-Audio-Alarm/202428327955

Must be a quality product:

"Double CPU for rapid response"
>>www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Car-Parking-Rear-Reverse-4-Sensors-Buzzer-Radar-LED-Display-Audio-Alarm/202428327955

Howl amazingly cheap! .. I don't fancy drilling holes in my 'new' car though Cc.

I was going to have them retrofitted to my red Forester back in the day, but decided against it (even though it was booked in) and the ole woman got on with that, eventually.
 Dog's gorn - continuously - VxFan
>> Howl amazingly cheap! .. I don't fancy drilling holes in my 'new' car though Cc.

You'll probably find the markings for the parking sensors are already on the rear of the bumper. Drill a small hole from the inner of the bumper, then the correct sized holes from the outer, using masking tape to stop any paint chipping, and to also stop the drill from slipping.
And there will be a blanked off grommet in the rear panel where the factory fit wiring harness goes through.

You may or may not have issues with the can bus if you tap a reversing light feed. Plenty of cheap solutions for this around tho.
>>You'll probably find the markings for the parking sensors are already on the rear of the bumper

>>You may or may not have issues with the can bus if you tap a reversing light feed. Plenty of cheap solutions for this around tho.

I'll have a look later when I take the dogs out ... in the rain. Subarus don't normally come fitted with 'parking aids' Looking on Subaru.Org, even peops in the US and Oz etc. enquire about 'em.
Back from 'walking the dog'/s .. both feet soaking wet and these are *Zamberlan boots ffs!

No markings or blanking plugs on rear of car for parking sensors - same with my Forester.

*Just ordered a pair of www.openair.co.uk/footwear-c6/mens-c124/boots-c132/hanwag-bergler-leather-walking-boots-p2248 not waterproof but thick leather.
Last edited by: non-emmet on Tue 6 Nov 18 at 15:11
Thick (heavy) leather, ex-Dog? And not waterproof? What made you not choose lightweight Goretex, that will be waterproof, as a matter of interest?

While you think about that, I shall pop on one of the six dvd boxset I found in the loft yesterday I'd forgotten about and never played - story of Prog Rock. I think it starts with Caravan. I'd have said they were Canterbury scene, not prog, but we'll see.

I have a pair of these too www.uttings.co.uk/p110776-zamberlan-1023-latemar-nw-walking-boots-men-s-waxed-dark-brown-1023/#.W-G0gyxLEfg which also aren't waterproof but I've put them away 'til Spring.

Thick leather boots are waterproof, if they are treated with Nikwax or Zamberlan's own Hydroblock.

Plenty of Prog Rock compilations on YouTube. I'm rather addicted to Steven Wilson at the moment.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPcoUCFAVcQ
Thanks for the Wilson. I'll trade you the original Suspiria theme. Saw the 1977 version last night for the first time (the BFI now have an Amazon channel so watched it via Amazon Prime). It's quite...the..horror...film...eek!

Also the (prog type) music is great.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtXz3OlFwZA

Cheers big ears, I'll watch that film at the weekend and look forward to the 2018 jobbie.
>>Thanks for the Wilson. I'll trade you the original Suspiria theme. Saw the 1977 version last night for the first time (the BFI now have an Amazon channel so watched it via Amazon Prime). It's quite...the..horror...film...eek!

Um, we watched Sarsaparilla last night .. strange film! not quite what I was expecting, but I can't say exactly what I was expecting.

Having slept on it and thought about it, I think it was/is a great film and now I understand it more, I wouldn't mind watching it again.

I'll certainly be watching the remake - when I don't have to go to the picture owse to see it.
>>> I'll certainly be watching the remake

I thought I wouldn't watch the remake "because its bound to be horrible", but then I thought, how much more horrible can it be, after the close-ups of things, pins in unpleasant places and so forth of the original?

Didn't you think the sets were great? All that red and neo-gothic stuff. I hadn't realised he did three witch films, in a loose trilogy, and that was the first. Shall have to track down the others now.

>> I thought, how much more horrible can it be, after the close-ups of things, pins in unpleasant places and so forth of the original?

I'm unmoved by stuff like that really, but the ole woman had to look away. The scene at the beginning of the film where the hand came through the window gave me a startle!!

I used to enjoy Karloff/Lugosi etc. etc. films back in the 70s but I rarely watch horror films these days.

>>Didn't you think the sets were great?

Absolutely! .. The film is a work of art. The ole woman has been humming and whistling (trying to) the theme music this morning. She's 95% there but as she herself admits, she is tone deaf.

She told me about back when she was in school singing at Christmas or somesuch, and the teacher asked her to sing on her own so he/she could ascertain whether she was taking the p or really was tone deaf.

:o}
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Bobby
I am up in Glasgow but got a local firm to fit sensors to the works Kangoo - £99 and did an excellent job. OK, its a black plastic bumper but they also do colour coordinated sensors for car plastic bumpers.

This guy will be no good to you down there but just saying there must be loads of these guys across the country.
There's an outfit down here in Truro that fits parking sensors etc. too. I had my red Forester booked in with them when I first got it, but decided against it in the end .. after they had colour coded the sensors for me :(

I'm 'funny' about who fiddles about with my cars - 14 years in the motor trade seeing 'what goes on' !!

Subaru fit front or rear sensors to the Outback for 400 notes so presumably they'll fit them to an XV too?

I'll probably not get them done though, I don't need them, although they do come in handy - it's for the ole woman really but, she managed to drive the Forester for 4 years without having 'em.
 Dog's gorn - continuously - Avant
Park assist is useless - at least, the one on my V60 was. It wouldn't come on at all unless the space availabe was about twice the length of the car - and if it ever did come on it was so slow it would cause a traffic jam.

An option I was happy not to tick when specifying the Q2.
I don't know how slow the park assist in the new Ford Focus is, but Ford claim it can parallel park into a space just one metre longer than the car. In the auto, it also requires nothing at all from the driver, as it flips the gears itself as well as steering, brake and throttle.

Having seen it in action (on YouTube) it appeals to me, along with all the other tech toys they have on it. There's a couple of new toys available I've not seen before on other cars too.

>> I don't know how slow the park assist in the new Ford Focus is, but
>> Ford claim it can parallel park into a space just one metre longer than the
>> car. In the auto, it also requires nothing at all from the driver, as it
>> flips the gears itself as well as steering, brake and throttle.
>>
>> Having seen it in action (on YouTube)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbaT5JtohNA

Supposing you want to go in nose first, how do you control that?
>> Supposing you want to go in nose first, how do you control that?

As you know (being a silent generationer), you need a larger space to park "nose first" and therefore probably wont need to invoke park assist.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 6 Nov 18 at 08:47
 Dog's gorn - continuously - CGNorwich
I like the use of the word “invoke”. I imagine some strange rite needed to appease the parking gods that you need to perform to make the mysterious system work.
I'm sure Dunc does indeed think its some form of black magic
Why else would I be interested?
This is the review I saw - a bit longer and chattier, but also talks about some of the other tech on it too.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqbs_hJ6Cw

Dog's gorn - continuously - VxFan
>> Having seen it in action (on YouTube) it appeals to me

What happens when it goes wrong though?

Will your insurer pay for any damages, when you've not been in proper control of your car?

If the sensors get damaged by another clumsy parker, it could make the difference between your car being repaired or being declared a financial write off because it costs too much money to repair and recalibrate the system.

Don't get me wrong, I love new technology, but sometimes I think it goes too far and takes away the drivers ability to learn and gain experience in driving. Some people get far too comfortable relying on things like auto parking, auto braking & anti collision systems. Especially when they have to one day drive a car without them fitted.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 6 Nov 18 at 10:19
Latest Forum Posts