Motoring Discussion > A particular design of trailer? ..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 9

A particular design of trailer? ..... - Haywain
Along with the new Karoq came an electric tow-bracket - an amazing (and amazingly expensive) piece of kit. It is primarily for mounting the bike rack but it is so wonderful that I am now looking for things to tow.

Many years ago, I saw an advert for a trailer design that could be conveniently stored - it had some sort of castor arrangement on the tail so it could be tipped onto the tailboard and pushed through a gateway and round to the side of the house, and the tow-bar retracted to, in effect, reduce its height. Just wondering if anyone on here has come across this particular design and has any information about it.
 A particular design of trailer? ..... - Old Navy
This any good?

www.ventertrailersuk.com/vertical-storage-stand/

Or this.

www.foldy.co.uk
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 10 Nov 18 at 12:54
 A particular design of trailer? ..... - Haywain
Thanks, ON, the 'Foldy' is the nearest thing to the design that I saw - which could easily be 20+ years ago. That particular one could have been an earlier manifestation of the Foldy; istr it was a bit simpler in that the tow-bar just retracted and the wheels didn't fold. It does look as though, by the time the various add-ons have been added on, it could get rather pricey.
 A particular design of trailer? .... - martin aston
Have you seen the Duuo trailers? I've only seen them online but they seem to have a castor arrangement for manouvring into storage.
 A particular design of trailer? .... - bathtub tom
Decades ago, a neighbour had a single wheeled camping trailer that was attached to the car with two balls on the car rear bumper.
The trailer could then be lifted vertically on these balls. The idea was it reduced costs on ferries that charged by length.
 A particular design of trailer? .... - Cliff Pope

>> The trailer could then be lifted vertically on these balls. The idea was it reduced
>> costs on ferries that charged by length.
>>

Here's a car carrying its trailer on the roof:

www.dover.uk.com/forums/dover-forum/report-from-the-autocar-1st-september-1939>>
 A particular design of trailer? .... - Duncan

>> Here's a car carrying its trailer on the roof:
>>
>> www.dover.uk.com/forums/dover-forum/report-from-the-autocar-1st-september-1939>>
>>

Nope. That don't work.
How odd - I copied the URL.
Try this Google search Channel ports 1939 in images:

www.google.com/search?q=Autocar+1+September+1939&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=6kAki40GjAXOyM%253A%252CM5-9coLF4EftbM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kSmH0tmMnvRv4kmyq9-C_7aTFd61Q&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj53sKHkszeAhUHKsAKHVsQBaoQ9QEwA3oECAUQBA#imgrc=6kAki40GjAXOyM:
 A particular design of trailer? .... - Duncan
Load of photos of old motor vehicles. Nowt - that I can see - about a trailer thing.
Ist or 2nd line of pictures - cars waiting to go on a ship, just in front of a large crane. There is a large black saloon loaded down with luggage, which has been piled on top of the trailer on the car roof.
The Autocar wording refers to this.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Sun 11 Nov 18 at 17:15
Latest Forum Posts