Motoring Discussion > Regional norms and interpretations. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 13

Regional norms and interpretations. - Old Navy
A London resident relative has been staying up here for a few days, we have been mainly using his car. He was mystified as to why he kept getting horn blasts on roundabouts. I wonder if it was anything to do with his total disregard of lane markings and first come first served attitude to driving?
 Regional norms and interpretations. - Duncan
It is possibly because Jocks do not understand, or obey, Rule 112 in The Highway Code, to wit:-

www.highwaycode.info/rule/112

or, Ask The Police:-

www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q406.htm

Any road, when we've got Brexit, the Jocks will be leaving us.
 Regional norms and interpretations. - Bobby
We wish
 Regional norms and interpretations. - Old Navy
>> It is possibly because Jocks do not understand, or obey, Rule 112 in The Highway
>> Code, to wit:-

Or could it be that he was totally unaware of other people in adjacent lanes as he straight lined and wandered between lanes and they were warning him of their presence, see HC rule 112.

Are you some sort of Euro extremist, you seem to try to introduce it to any subject?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 24 Nov 18 at 10:02
 Regional norms and interpretations. - Runfer D'Hills
London traffic, despite it's density, does flow, due mostly I suppose to an attitude of give and take spliced with a "get on with it" technique. Irritation at that style is not confined to Scotland and can be seen in many places outside the M25.

On a tangential note, it's also interesting that in this age of supposed enlightenment and inclusiveness, it still seems to be acceptable for the English to refer to their neighbours as Jocks, Paddys, Taffs, Frogs etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm neither surprised nor offended by that, but can't help musing that the most common reciprocal nickname for the English usually refers to suspicions of their illegitimacy, and would most certainly trip the swear filter.

;-)
>> On a tangential note, it's also interesting that in this age of supposed enlightenment and
>> inclusiveness, it still seems to be acceptable for the English to refer to their neighbours
>> as Jocks, Paddys, Taffs, Frogs etc.

It's a term of endearment, shirley?

The Irish refer to themselves as Paddys, don't they? I certainly don't see these handles as derogatory, or offensive. They are certainly not intended to be so.

Curious, don't you think, that there isn't a term for the English?

Regional norms and interpretations. - Runfer D'Hills
>> Curious, don't you think, that there isn't a term for the English?

Oh there is, believe me, there is...

;-)
 Regional norms and interpretations. - Haywain
"Oh there is, believe me, there is..."

There are some to choose from on here .....

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_names_for_the_British

Anyone is welcome to call me a chissit.
But we are talking about names for the English specifically, not the British collectively.
 Regional norms and interpretations. - R.P.

Oh there is, believe me, there is...

Plenty in Wales in Welsh and English
 Regional norms and interpretations. - Dog
>>Anyone is welcome to call me a chissit.

At least you're not a Dumpling.

:o}
 Regional norms and interpretations. - Dog
Last edited by: non-emmet on Sat 24 Nov 18 at 13:17
 Regional norms and interpretations. - jc2
I knew someone in the past who was convicted of dangerous driving-he stated I was only driving like I always did on the North Circular.Otherwise known as A406-the M25 is a picnic area when compared to the A406!
Last edited by: jc2 on Sat 24 Nov 18 at 16:28
 Regional norms and interpretations. - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Curious, don't you think, that there isn't a term for the English?
>>

There is, but only for use by Americans, it seems.
Latest Forum Posts