ice - Pat
I never lock my screen.

Pat
 ice - commerdriver
>> I never lock my screen.
>>
>> Pat
>>
Pat, it is an inconvenience but presumably you do not use any apps that could cause you problems if you lost your phone and someone else had access to them.
I would imagine even contact lists would be bad to lose.
My wife, incidentally does exactly the same but she has a non smart basic function mobile.
 ice - Pat
I use my phone as a phone. I don't text, but I use WhatsApp because I can talk to it.

I very occasionally use it for Facebook if we're away from home but wherever I go my laptop goes too.

I'm not welded to my phone and it spends most of the time sat on the WiFi charger on my desk.

I do take it if we go out but usually leave it locked in the car, as I do when I'm working.

I've never made a purchase on it or paid for a service. I did Google for a hotel once in bad weather but rang to book.

It's an absolute pleasure to get away from it for me.

Pat
 ice - smokie
Don't take this personally Pat because it's not intended that way but I know at least two other couples (probably in their 60s) who like to say, in a boasting kind of manner, that they don't use their phones for anything other than calls.

I suppose it's not for everyone but it's no longer something to be proud of in my view. I just think of them as technophobes and occasionally I'll try to show them what they could use their phones for, but as they suffer from a mule like stubbornness and unwillingness to accept new ideas it's not something I spend too long on!!

Their loss IMO. But I'm more surprised at you, as you are obviously reasonably internet-savvy and not scared of the technology.

And I'm not a fan of social media, or being too dependent on the phone. They are incredibly useful tools now though.
 ice - Pat
Well, I'm not boasting and neither am I proud of it, I just find it isn't for me.

I know how to use it to book a hotel or buy a car if I wanted to, I just don't feel the need with arthritic fingers to struggle with a small screen when I can use a laptop.

I don't want to be available on the end of an email or message 24/7.

Since realising that I actually don't need to have it with me all of the time I've found it very liberating and feel extremely pleased with myself that I can walk away from a mobile and not miss it.

If I listened to Ian, and my son, I would have it in my pocket all of the time....'just in case you fall downstairs'

I prefer to know that I need to take extra care because there isn't a safety net when I'm alone in the house.

Stubborn, yes, but old before my time, I don't think so.

Pat

Last edited by: Pat on Mon 26 Nov 18 at 17:30
 ice - sooty123
Reading this I've just thought I've never had a lock on my phone. Never thought about having one tbh. I probably should, I think.
 ice - zippy
>> ?????
>>
>> Only thing on mine is fingerprints.
>>

In Case of Emergency contact numbers.
 ice - Manatee
It could cause me a great deal of trouble if my email account was compromised. It's a key to so many other things. That alone is enough to make me lock the phone.

The lock screen scrolls my landline number and a contact email address.
 ice - R.P.
My whole admin life is on my phone. Coded up PINs and Passwords. No issue with losing it beyond a minor inconvenience in setting a new one up and then everything is back there. I noticed an extra button on my iPhone (I rarely if ever turn it off) when I powered up the phone the other day. I'll check it out shortly.
Latest Forum Posts